Ultimate Ahab?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big fish, but how big is it REALLY. Can't see his hands....dang is he good!! Congrats to the fisherman - I'd love to see that coming up the hole!

1673936815033.png

Attachments

1673935723748.png

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still think it's a great idea to bring a little action figure, on fishing trips. Like an 80's GI Joe guy. Pose the fish with that little guy holding an end up.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can't understand catching/shooting something massive and then taking a picture that removes any sort of size reference. Same with a picture of someone sitting on the ass of a big deer/elk/moose. Drives me insane. It's already big, just hold it up normal or sit next to it so people can see and appreciate how big it really is instead of having to guess.

Judging by the size of a normal sized man, that fish has about an 18-inch head and has an overall measurement somewhere around 6-7 feet. Or it could literally just be an 18 inch fish. We will never know because of this ratarded photo......

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't understand catching/shooting something massive and then taking a picture that removes any sort of size reference. Same with a picture of someone sitting on the ass of a big deer/elk/moose. Drives me insane. It's already big, just hold it up normal or sit next to it so people can see and appreciate how big it really is instead of having to guess.

Judging by the size of a normal sized man, that fish has about an 18-inch head and has an overall measurement somewhere around 6-7 feet. Or it could literally just be an 18 inch fish. We will never know because of this ratarded photo......
Says the guy with his display picture of him sitting as far behind the sheep as possible. Just teasin ya, its a nice ram by the way.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Right! As a geologist, we were generally required to put something common in the frame of view for reference. A quarter, a pen, your hand, whatever was available so you had something to estimate actual size of the object being photographed.

And then along came the Captain, and the world of photography has never been the same.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right! As a geologist, we were generally required to put something common in the frame of view for reference. A quarter, a pen, your hand, whatever was available so you had something to estimate actual size of the object being photographed.

And then along came the Captain, and the world of photography has never been the same.
Some of us have much larger hands than others, just saying..

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has the use of the phrase "Ahab" in regards to this fish posing tactic gone further than on this site?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its in the fishing dictionary ---- Ahab, Ahabbing, Ahabed, Ahabber, Ahabed,

All in reference to a fish hold!!

...rofl...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Says the guy with his display picture of him sitting as far behind the sheep as possible. Just teasin ya, its a nice ram by the way.
this is the first time i realized a guy was sitting behind that sheep. OMG funny

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I doubt I’m the originator of said pose, but I’d like to thank all the fans and the critics for making it a household phrase:). BTW, this guy next leveled it with the wide angle lens.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
this is the first time i realized a guy was sitting behind that sheep. OMG funny
Here’s a better example of the moose I shot this year. We took this photo as a joke and no one has ever seen it. I HATE this photo. Sit on his ass and pin down his ears so there is no size reference. Angle the antler tops away so the inside gap is larger. Is this a 45 inch bull or a 75 inch bull? Who knows. I call them guide photos.
5AF60511-AB11-48E8-B0D6-D5FFC84999EA.jpeg

The sheep is meh. His body was leaning on me so he wouldn't roll down hill so I am basically laying on it. Sheep are a bit different in that you'd judge him based on 1. depth of curl in relation to his jaw 2. length of curl through 360 and 3. mass (distance between horn bases). That's why you always see guys having sheep photos from the side with the nose pointing straight up to make them look bigger.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i always look at pics from a how the hell did they get that animal out of their

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92