where to dove hunt?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's a tip from guy - find out what fields are where by going to this site the day after a cloudless day.

July 26th was just such a day. Pick USA2 and 250m/pixel.

[url]http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=t1&product=true_color&date=2015_07_26_207&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&overlay_coastline=true&sector=USA2&resolution=250m

[/URL]
It's enough resolution (barely) to show you where the various field types are. It helps me pick the general direction to head out of town. In the east part of the state the last few years it's been tough to find wheat - it's been almost 100% corn and beans. Luckily the tide turned this year.

You may find it best to download the photo then use a photo browser to zoom in and pan around. Use GoogleEarth or something to get your bearings if you suck at maps/aerials.

Look at the bright light green fields north of Devils Lake... is that replanted wheat after the late frost or what?

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just look for canola fields close to town. All the town's doves will be heading there to eat.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just look for canola fields close to town. All the town's doves will be heading there to eat.

Indeed - if you are fortunate enough to have canola near your town.

- - - Updated - - -

this illustrates my problem.... canola isn't real popular in Cass county so we are forced to focus on wheat/water or flyways mostly
co10hvmp.gif

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the first time in 10 years I've got a real desire to chase dove. Wasn't sure where to start. Thx guy.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep all you need is a canola field with a good number of trees around it and like said near town is a big plus especially for the Eurasian Doves. After that add in a robo dove and allot of ammo and you have a recipe for a good time.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
last year i shot my limit of doves sitting on a red folding chair. They must not be able to see red ��

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well last year was one of the hardest years to find good dove fields but this year its by far the best numbers I have ever seen. Well goose scouting I'm routinely finding a doz or more good to great fields just about everywhere I go. Anyone else running into the same thing elsewhere? Hell many of the good fields are not even canola.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you need a migratory bird stamp to hunt them?
Its been 20 years since I chased these little fellers around.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you need a migratory bird stamp to hunt them?
Its been 20 years since I chased these little fellers around.

If you do I've been doing it wrong. You need your small game and habitat and a HIP # though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74