28 Nosler Question

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
I booked my first elk hunt last week at the Sportsman Show at the Fargo Dome for Colorado in 2024. I bought a 28 Nosler in Christensen Arms Mesa about a year ago. It has 26 inch barrel with muzzle break.
First question is will the recoil be punishment enough to cause me not to shoot accurately?
Second, will that barrel length be too long and awkward for carrying?
I will be in the Meeker area.
The guide said use good bullets in the 160 grain weight to reach out fast.
The thought has crossed my mind to trade the 28 Nosler for 300 Win in the Mesa. Barrel length would be 24 inches plus vstill have a muzzle break. Other option Bergara in 300 Win Mag, Scheels has a Scheels model for $899 with 24 inch barrel.
Any thoughts from all of you with more elk hunting experience would sure be helpful.
Thanks!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I killed mine with the pea shooter 6.5 and 143 grain bullet. From a fair distance with one shot.

Only you can decide if the recoil is to much. Bbl length never bothered me at 26”.

Over thinking it to much bullet placement bullet construction are far more important than head stamp.

As for guns I would take the Bergara any day over anything Christensen builds.

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
I killed mine with the pea shooter 6.5 and 143 grain bullet. From a fair distance with one shot.

Only you can decide if the recoil is to much. Bbl length never bothered me at 26”.

Over thinking it to much bullet placement bullet construction are far more important than head stamp.

As for guns I would take the Bergara any day over anything Christensen builds.
Thanks for the info!
I have been thinking a rifle I can shoot better would be better than bigger.

Gr8tz

Established Member
I have the exact same rifle, it's a real good shooter. The recoil is manageable no more than any 300 win that I've shot. Mine likes Hornady 162 ELDX factory loads

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the exact same rifle, it's a real good shooter. The recoil is manageable no more than any 300 win that I've shot. Mine likes Hornady 162 ELDX factory loads
The Hornady 162 ELDX is one of the loads I am considering.

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have the perfect rifle to take! Get a good scope that you can dial in for longer distances with those 162 ELDX rounds and your set! I really like the Leupold CDS system on my scope, its simple. If its 640 yds you just turn it to 640 yds and adjust for wind. Practice allot at long range this spring and summer, it will make 500 and under shots seem like chip shots!👍👍

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not go with a standard 7mag?
Right? Lots of critters the size of elk have met their demise at the hands of everything from the 30-06, 270, 280 and the family of 7 mm rounds out there. Lots of very solid rifle choices.

Then again, if it's just an itch that needs to be scratched...knock oneself out!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've killed several with a pointy stick. Shot placement is vital no matter what you're shooting.
Only you are going to know if you can shoot that 28 well. If you can't, then it's time to move to a smaller caliber, heavier rifle, or both.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I booked my first elk hunt last week at the Sportsman Show at the Fargo Dome for Colorado in 2024. I bought a 28 Nosler in Christensen Arms Mesa about a year ago. It has 26 inch barrel with muzzle break.
First question is will the recoil be punishment enough to cause me not to shoot accurately?
The thought has crossed my mind to trade the 28 Nosler for 300 Win in the Mesa. Barrel length would be 24 inches plus vstill have a muzzle break. Other option Bergara in 300 Win Mag, Scheels has a Scheels model for $899 with 24 inch barrel.
Any thoughts from all of you with more elk hunting experience would sure be helpful.
Thanks!
28 nosler would be easier to shoot accurately with less recoil. 26” vs 24” won’t make a difference. Muzzle breaks are key on those magnums to reduce recoil. I would try to find a load with a bonded bullet. Not a fan of eldx bullets because they are essentially just a ballistic tip bullet. Try to get used to shooting at 500 yards plus just in case.

I know people who shoot elk with 257 roberts, 6.5 creedmoor, and 270’s so you will be just fine with a 28 nosler

Bobkat

Established Member
Right? Lots of critters the size of elk have met their demise at the hands of everything from the 30-06, 270, 280 and the family of 7 mm rounds out there. Lots of very solid rifle choices.

Then again, if it's just an itch that needs to be scratched...knock oneself out!
Yep. Lots of critters have been bang flopped with rifles in the .25 class, down to 6mm or .243, though I wouldn’t recommend anything that small for an average adult, anyway. We hunters, especially handloaders nowadays pore over bore size, mv, bullet weights, sd, ogivies, rifling, powder burning weight, and way overthink the nuances that for a practical point of view make little or such a tiny difference at the animals business end of the equation. Like the experienced older timers on here all say, don’t worry about it so much, just pick a reasonable caliber, a dependable rifle, and a good scope and practice, practice, practice! Don’t think you must be able to hit a dime at 500 yards in order and to kill an elk with a boiler room as big as a 50 gallon barrel. Most elk are shot under 200 yards, over 3-400-500 less common but doable as many of us have proven.
Medical advice here - as important as the rifle,concentrating on getting in good shape IMHO is almost more important than anything else. Running up a hill with a pack, chest. Heaving, heart racing, excitement driving adrenaline levels to skyrocket, etc. my guide friends all say that far more animals are missed because of this one factor than any other thing!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of great advice here!
Makes me wish I could draw a damn elk tag again, especially since I have like 23 pref points in utah and 11 in wy. I see Wy jacked the special elk tags up to almost $2k..nuts!
Anyways lets see some of your guys elk pics!
I'll start, this is my best bull. Took him with my bow in Wy in 2012. And my sons Utah rifle bull "7 mag 160 gr accubond 465 yds"

20201129_111618.jpg

7472.jpeg
20211101_083820.jpg

Last edited:

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks!

I've been shooting my 28 Nosler paired with 195gr Berger EOL. Taken several elk, deer and Moose with it!! She hit's HARD.

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
You bought a rifle about a year ago and you haven't shot it yet? Say no more....

Good luck on your hunt.
I haven't been able to find ammo, and I have till November 2024. I should my other rifles, quite well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82