Round or flat earth

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got done watching the documentary on flat earth conspiracists called behind the curve and all I have to day is if being wrong can make you rich then we Americans live in the greatest country in the world.
What totally blew thier flat earth argument out of the water is when they brought up that if the earth is rotating at 360 degrees every 24 hours then a gyroscope would drift anywhere on earth at a 15 degree angle. Well someone bought the flat earthers a 20 thousand dollar ring laser gyroscope to prove that the earth is in deed flat after all. Guess what the ring laser gyroscope actually drifted 15 degrees in an hour. So then they decided that well if we disrupt the earth's gravitational effects on the gyroscope by putting it in a zero glass chamber but of course it had no effect. Crazy people can make money to and have their own YouTube channel.
I just googled flat earth and came up with 580,000,000 in less then half a second.
And now the liberal media is trying to put flat earthers and the trump administration's in the same side. That since global climate change doesnt exists hence conservatives believe the earth is flat. Wow!!!!
https://whyy.org/articles/the-trump-regime-wants-to-believe-the-earth-is-flat/

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
These people just want to belong so they find themselves looking for like minded people who believe in the same thing. I dont agree with thier flat earth argument but a I respect their commitment to the cuase.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is too many 2 legged lemmings in the world. If the earth is flat lets run them over the edge.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
earth.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well one thing that has had me stumped for awhile now is how radar works on a sphere.

[h=3]Cut and pasted from a west marine website about recreational boater radars....

How far do you need to see?[/h][FONT=&quot]This question, how much range you want from a radar, involves a couple of factors and some trade-offs. First, there’s the factor of height. Your radar can’t see over the earth’s curved horizon, so the height of your unit above the ocean surface, and the height of the target you’re looking at limit how far away you can identify objects.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the techies among us, here is a simple formula: (1.22 nautical miles x square root of height of radar) + (1.22 nautical miles x square root height of target) In simple English, that means that if your boat has an antenna on a T-top that’s nine feet off the water, and you’re searching on the screen for a boat that’s the same size, you’ll need to be within 7.3 nautical miles (1.22 x 3 + 1.22 x 3 = 7.32).

Assuming this is a correct formula from west marine and the statement from west marine that says their radars can't see over the curved horizon is correct and using the curvature of the earth formula of about 8 inches of curve per mile squared, the other boat would have to be 35 ft tall at 7.3 miles in order for the radar to even see it. 35 ft tall is not a boat of similar size with a T top at 9 ft. I'm NOT a math wiz by any means, so what am I missing here?? [/FONT]

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw the Netflix documentary last week too. I think the best part was them talking about Antarctica being a large wall of ice at the outside part of of the flat Earth circle. They are looking for funds to break through the ice wall circle to see what lies outside that.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact that there was a documentary on the earth being flat just proves was much trouble we are in as a society.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
flat earthers are dumb. no offense guy. ;) KDM, i don't follow why you think the other boat would have to be 35 ft tall.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A large crane operator once told me that at any given time the furthest one could see is 22 miles because of the curvature of the earth

This is what I googled:
A rough formula for calculating the distance to the horizon is:

SquareRoot(height above surface / 0.5736) = distance to horizon

where "height above surface" is in feet and "distance to horizon" is in miles. If you are 6 feet tall and standing right at the water's edge, then your eyes are about 5.5 feet above the surface. The distance to the horizon is:

SquareRoot(5.5 / 0.5736) = 3 miles

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jeezus, this weather better warm up soon....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82