Flip-Over Shack & Diesel Heater

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been seeing a decent number of folks on a FB group starting to use small diesel heaters in their flip-over shacks instead of propane heaters. Looking at the $150-$200 cost of these things, and hearing about their efficiency has me considering one in the future, especially considering the cost/availability of propane these days.

Does anyone use a small diesel heater in their flip-over shack? Or maybe you know someone that does?

Capture.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting!! My first concern would be the exhaust. Where and how to vent, along with what temps would be created before being sent outside. The second would be the fuel. Hauling and keeping in good shape and without spills, coupled with a .5L fuel tank that would need to be filled every 2 hours or so assuming minimal fuel consumption of .2L per hour as stated in description. The third would be the weight of an internal combustion engine and the forth would be the damage to everything should the fuel leak onto the canvas, sled, and other equipment. The fifth would be starting the bugger at below zero temps. Diesels are not known for their love of low temps. then there is the constant rumble of a diesel engine while trying to fish. I prefer the peaceful hiss of propane myself. These compared to a full 20lb propane bottle that I have had produce heat for 3 days without the threat of damage to equipment and guaranteed starting doesn't add up. Now if you have a home use for the generator as a small insurance policy so to speak. That's a different critter all together. Good Luck!!

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fuel consumption: 0.2-0.5 liters per hour oil , Fuel Tank: 0.5L

This specification alone would stop me from even thinking about it

But look how cozy they look in their house with it right next to them.

Attachments

Capture.JPG

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Basically the same technology as semi sleeper heaters. They've been around for a long time. They're truly vented. I've been considering mounting one in my insulated sxs trailer.

This guy is the mack daddy of all chinese heater experts IMO. Not sure what he did in his earlier life - probably military or space agency stuff. He's got the right stuff. Here's a link to all his chinese heater videos. Top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLne7MoW21Rk01DYGGfOqIbYt6H1ZFSFks

- - - Updated - - -

They operate fine off an external tank - so don't let tank size spook you.

- - - Updated - - -

74 million views. LOL. Not too shabby.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My white gas lantern puts out enough heat on cold days to fish w/o gloves in my fish trap flip,not a fan of these big heaters,20gal propane tanks for mobil fishing.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i Bought a chinese diesel heater they have a exhaust pipe that comes out the bottom of the unit, they put out some good heat, the have a cheap electric fuel pump and a blower so they take allot of battery to run them all day. they are very noisy with the fuel pump combustion and blower fan. Ive ran mine for hours and never ran out of fuel. i even used it to try and gas pocket gophers. Ive seen guys build a shelf on the outside of their camper shell and pipe the heat into the shell. Im going to mount mine in my enclosed trailer camper I ran kerosene in mine

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally think it would be a horrible option on a flip over. Just the thought of smelling spilled diesel in my flip over all day does it for me. A small hard side is a different story.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll sell you mine if you want it. I used it in a 6.5'x12' insulated canvas house with a floor. Not enough heat output for cold days. The dry heat is nice but you also need a 12v battery or generator to power the blower. They use very little fuel, mine has a 5 liter fuel tank that will run 7-8 hours on high. I set the heater outside and ran the duct inside. I think they'd work good in a well insulated hardsided house or trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll second the link guy posted.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
buddy heaters and mister heaters will give me a headache after a day in a portable.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Large fireball' consumes fish house on Upper Red Lake, injures 4 occupants

Two of the injured individuals were transported for care via air ambulance.
Four people suffered injuries when a fiery blast consumed the fish house they were occupying on a northern Minnesota lake.
The incident happened around 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 1, 2022, when a 911 caller reported an explosion at a fish house on Upper Red Lake, according to the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office. Two men and two women were in the fish house, and told authorities they were using 20-pound propane tanks and a "heating mechanism" just before the blast.

They heard a hissing sound and closed the valves on the tank. That's when a "large fireball filled the fish house," the sheriff's office reported.
Emergency personnel made their way to the scene as the fish house's occupants were transported first to a nearby resort to wait. On shore, a husband and wife with emergency medical training were treating one of the men and one of the women, according to DNR CO Corey Sura, who was among the officers to respond. The sheriff's office said they had burn-related injuries.
By the time deputies arrived to the resort, the two other individuals injured in the explosion had been taken via ambulance to the Waskish Airport, where two air ambulances were waiting to transport them elsewhere, the sheriff's office said.
The extent of their injuries and their condition as of Tuesday morning was unknown.
Deputies went to the site of the fish house, about 2.5 miles from shore on the northeast side of Upper Red Lake. They found several parts of the structure's exterior were melted and burned. Deputies also noted two propane tanks inside that appeared to still be intact.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Large fireball' consumes fish house on Upper Red Lake, injures 4 occupants

Two of the injured individuals were transported for care via air ambulance.
Four people suffered injuries when a fiery blast consumed the fish house they were occupying on a northern Minnesota lake.
The incident happened around 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 1, 2022, when a 911 caller reported an explosion at a fish house on Upper Red Lake, according to the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office. Two men and two women were in the fish house, and told authorities they were using 20-pound propane tanks and a "heating mechanism" just before the blast.

They heard a hissing sound and closed the valves on the tank. That's when a "large fireball filled the fish house," the sheriff's office reported.
Emergency personnel made their way to the scene as the fish house's occupants were transported first to a nearby resort to wait. On shore, a husband and wife with emergency medical training were treating one of the men and one of the women, according to DNR CO Corey Sura, who was among the officers to respond. The sheriff's office said they had burn-related injuries.
By the time deputies arrived to the resort, the two other individuals injured in the explosion had been taken via ambulance to the Waskish Airport, where two air ambulances were waiting to transport them elsewhere, the sheriff's office said.
The extent of their injuries and their condition as of Tuesday morning was unknown.
Deputies went to the site of the fish house, about 2.5 miles from shore on the northeast side of Upper Red Lake. They found several parts of the structure's exterior were melted and burned. Deputies also noted two propane tanks inside that appeared to still be intact.
Wow,
suckfest for sure

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17