Homemade permanent wheel house. Thoughts and recommendations welcome

bink

Hi folks, I’m thinking of building my own wheel house this spring because they seem crazy over priced and I just need something simple. I’m thinking of buying a crank down trailer frame, use 2x2s for the wall framing, plywood floor with rubber coating, and getting it spray foam insulated and just leaving it rough on the inside. Any downsides to this thought process? Do I need to plan plywood for the outside walls instead of just spray foaming directly to the aluminum siding?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would use 2x4's, You may only save 100 lbs or so. I will take strength over weight any day. A spray foamed house gets glued together real good. Spray foam on the tin is just fine.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hi folks, I’m thinking of building my own wheel house this spring because they seem crazy over priced and I just need something simple. I’m thinking of buying a crank down trailer frame, use 2x2s for the wall framing, plywood floor with rubber coating, and getting it spray foam insulated and just leaving it rough on the inside. Any downsides to this thought process? Do I need to plan plywood for the outside walls instead of just spray foaming directly to the aluminum siding?

I may have exactly what you are looking for. 6.5' X 17'. 8 holes built on an Ice Castle frame. Insulated floor and walls with styrofoam. Also has skis to use under the wheels when snow gets a little deeper. Message me if interested.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82