2018 Fish House Project

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did a recent ice-fishing report where I said I'd do a forum post on my fish-house project. So here it is:

It all started over February 2018, when I sat down with my father-in-law and discussed his willingness to help me undertake the project -- versus buying a pre-fab wheelhouse. He put a pen to paper and came up with an estimate of what we'd save and said that he'd help.

I ordered the frame from Miltona Blacksmiths (http://www.miltonablacksmith.com). It's 6.5x12 with a V. They were great to work with, very timely and I have no regrets with having them do it, versus welding one up, as we only would have been about $200 ahead with the price of steel at the time. I would encourage anyone interested in starting a project like this to reach out to them for ideas.

The first few days were spent with preparations, as my brother in law brought the frame home in April during a blizzard and the weld spots had quite a few rust spots due to the Minnesota salt on the roads. After some elbow grease days of grinding, followed by a fresh coat of primer and paint, the frame was ready.

We ripped down 2x4s for the support structures of the walls (so 2x2 construction). We used 1/2" plywood as the walls and then wrapped it with moisture barrier. Corrugated tin for the outside, with trim pieces made here in Bismarck by Bismarck Lumber. For protection from chips on the front and by the wheels, I picked up and cut/had bent some diamond plate aluminum. Rubber roof like an RV from Menards for the top. Inside we used 1.5 inch foam board cut between the studs and 3.5 inches of foam for the floor and ceiling. Outside the foam, we used white maple paneling, with fresh cut and home-milled rough cut pine for the trim pieces. *My father in law built his own saw mill.

It's wired for both 110v and 12v. Has a camper-style inverter and a 12v deep cell battery that runs 3 dual LED ceiling lights and 5 LED hole lights (6 holes total). To keep it toasty warm, we yanked a 20,000 BTU furnace and pumps from 2 propane tanks. Up front is storage up top and a counter top and cabinet space below.

The bench in the back will fold out to about 50 inches and the bunk up top will fold for storage. I plan on making a ladder with 2 rungs that are a bit longer and install two stake pockets to keep anyone or anything from rolling off the bunk. Not counting the beverages consumed and the occasional headache I'm in about half of what a similar Ice Castle would have been. Has been fun, but glad to see it coming to a close and actually being able to use it. Hope you guys enjoy the pics and don't knock it too much

IMG_1949.jpgIMG_1955.jpgIMG_0098.jpgIMG_0235.jpgIMG_0255.jpgIMG_0309.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0352.jpgIMG_0292.jpgIMG_0647.jpg56598846671__66D67068-1F22-46CC-992E-C9C301EE65B8.jpg56842202461__2E8B3492-DA68-4739-A08A-E78E1A111F3E.jpgIMG_0680.jpgIMG_0972.jpgIMG_0897.jpgIMG_0973.jpghouse2.jpghouse1.jpg

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
You done good.
2 x2 walls may not stand up to alot of jarring over rough terrain though.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Other than some differences in finish material, looks about identical to the house I built. I used an Ice Castle frame but about the only difference in frames is the lifting mechanism. Mine has stood up well with 2X2's and heating is no problem. Looks good and with the pictures of the little ones, you're in for years of enjoyment. One difference on mine is I have wood paneling for the exterior. Some day I need to replace that with metal. Hate painting every couple years.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have kept all the receipts from purchases but haven't calculated a grand total. I would say close to 7,200. We saved of money by using wood that was home-milled. Considering we modeled it after the "Rice Lake" Ice Castles that run around 12,000 I'm satisfied. I am probably going to get a weight the next time I take it out, although I don't think that it will be much different.

As far as concerns with 2x2 vs 2x4 construction, I'm not worried. The walls are secured into the metal frame through the floor and tied in again with the subfloor. The foam insulation and metal siding really ties it all together and the ceiling is 2x4 construction.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built my first one very similar to your house in size less the plywood. I was going to use 2 x 2's but figuring the weight differance was less than 50 lbs I went with 2 x 4's. With 2 x 4's it makes the walls a little stronger. If you watch all houses traveling on the ice the tops are rocking back and forth. Its tough on a house with rough ice roads or no roads and hard drifts.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s the natural lighting like? I have 2 windows, 1 about your size and another half that size and a camper door with privacy glass. I’m concerned I won’t have as much natural light as I hoped for.

Stinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
2A2AF482-B51A-49B6-80A8-2BAD60C5D639.jpgI have a 28”x44” piece of commercial glass for natural light in mine. I enjoy the extra light during the day and the warm sun shines in. I built mine using a Milton’s frame also and insulated metal panels. Going on 3 seasons with it. Have pulled it approximately 1500 miles and no problems thus far.

Attachments

63ED3A6A-9364-4CDE-9A01-B53BEE211A20.jpg

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rubber flooring from Menards. Comes in an 8x20 foot roll. Cut and stick. Stinger--- yours looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm ready with my PBR rod.

And more pics of James in a belly shirt please.

I'm sure I could round a few more up for ya haha

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have kept all the receipts from purchases but haven't calculated a grand total. I would say close to 7,200. We saved of money by using wood that was home-milled. Considering we modeled it after the "Rice Lake" Ice Castles that run around 12,000 I'm satisfied. I am probably going to get a weight the next time I take it out, although I don't think that it will be much different.

As far as concerns with 2x2 vs 2x4 construction, I'm not worried. The walls are secured into the metal frame through the floor and tied in again with the subfloor. The foam insulation and metal siding really ties it all together and the ceiling is 2x4 construction.

$7,200 is the "Materials" Cost. How many total man hours do you have into this project?

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
$7,200 is the "Materials" Cost. How many total man hours do you have into this project?

That is correct. I probably would have been much farther ahead considering the implicit costs and worked a 2nd job versus putting the time into fish-house. That being said, I don't think that we put but a few weekends of work into it full time. Otherwise it was just a small project here and another one there until it was complete. I took a hiatus from working on it from about 9/1/2018-10/12/2018 for my once in a lifetime moose tag.

Don't get me wrong- I wouldn't have even considered doing this project if I didn't have my father-in-law around for the brains and ideas. I'm not that handy to undertake something like this by myself. My neighbors lent a hand during the summer if they were around too. So I have absolutely no idea what the total time in man hours this took.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is correct. I probably would have been much farther ahead considering the implicit costs and worked a 2nd job versus putting the time into fish-house. That being said, I don't think that we put but a few weekends of work into it full time. Otherwise it was just a small project here and another one there until it was complete. I took a hiatus from working on it from about 9/1/2018-10/12/2018 for my once in a lifetime moose tag.

Don't get me wrong- I wouldn't have even considered doing this project if I didn't have my father-in-law around for the brains and ideas. I'm not that handy to undertake something like this by myself. My neighbors lent a hand during the summer if they were around too. So I have absolutely no idea what the total time in man hours this took.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing the same as you. I have a buddy who built one this last year, and we were talking about it. After you figure in all the "labor hours" of building one, I don't know if you are that far ahead. I know he's got over 125hrs into his.

You figure what 125-150hrs are worth to a guy, I'm not sure if I would go through the headache of building one, other than being able to say I did!

On a side note, nice house!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93