2-4D

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do not walk through your treated areas during application. Always walk where you haven’t sprayed backing away from the treated area. I’ve seen roundup sprayed in an area, someone walk through it, and then walk off into the grass leaving kill spot footprints into their yard.
?

I've had that issue with leaving burned grass from tractor tire tracks.

Established Member
2.5 ounces per gallon of water wet leaves follow up application maybe needed used this for years works good.
So I purchased some 2,4-D Anime 4 to spray on the lawn. The booklet with it made my head spin and made me crave alcohol. Can I get some practical advise. I am mostly looking to kill thistles, but I likely have all weeds known to man that I can legally have. What time of day is best, cool morning, hot afternoon.... I would think as windless as possible, what is temperature inversion? I suppose too close to the garden would cause me some misery. How about pets?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
On our 15 & 25 gallon sprayers that we had on ATV's on the farm i mixed 1 ounce per gallon of water. Ran it at about 30# of pressure and went between 5-10 mph depending on how thick the weeds were. When thick went slow when normal weeds in lawn tried to stay around 10 mph.
15 gallons of water/ 15 ounces of chemical
Sorry i screwed this up the first time. Since the stroke what i think and what i type often are two different outcomes!

Last edited:

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
On our 15 & 25 gallon sprayers that we had on ATV's on the farm i mixed 1 ounce per 25 gallons of water. Ran it at about 30# of pressure and went between 5-10 mph depending on how thick the weeds were. When thick went slow when normal weeds in lawn tried to stay around 10 mph.

1 OZ per 25 Gallons? seems way light but OK.

I put a full Bison Turf mug (apprx 20 0z) into 12 gallons- weed roller application. Knocks'em dead

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Question -ROUNDUP - is there any point spraying roundup on an overlooked weed choked food plot when the temp is in the high 80’s to 100!?! Or better to wait for cooler temps?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quite a few of the chemicals can pick up and move when it gets hot.
Depends on what you have around it as far on what it could kill if it does move.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having a terrible time trying to kill clover in the yard. Have used Trimec and also recently using Range Star per instructions from Arrowwood Agronomy. 3.2 oz/gal
It will kill but continues to come back year after year. Usually spray early May and then fall application. Going on about 20 yrs so do but the theory of lying dormant.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The years in which my lawn looks the best I fertilize w/Weed and feed granular in mid-late Apr, again around Memorial Day, then spot-spray the few stragglers w/2-gal hand sprayer throughout the summer.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having a terrible time trying to kill clover in the yard. Have used Trimec and also recently using Range Star per instructions from Arrowwood Agronomy. 3.2 oz/gal
It will kill but continues to come back year after year. Usually spray early May and then fall application. Going on about 20 yrs so do but the theory of lying dormant.

You need a stronger growth regulator than 2,4-D and Dicamba.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
What’s the deal with Dicamba? Is it drift people are complaining about, or environmental effects, or cause cancer on the second toe left foot? ( in California). I read something about farmers objecting to it some places.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s the deal with Dicamba? Is it drift people are complaining about, or environmental effects, or cause cancer on the second toe left foot? ( in California). I read something about farmers objecting to it some places.

Lots of industrial applications of it to dicamba resistant crops have been really putting the hurt to trees and neighboring non-resistant crops. I'd have to think those farmers opting to not use dicamba resistant soybeans, etc are really pissed when their neighbor costs them 5-20% of their yield. And yes, there are some pretty well documented examples of it out in California.

I hear they have relabeled usage directions and formulation to help prevent drift, guess we will see how well that works.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
1.5 ounces/ per gallon of water for "trimec" is the ticket.

I may have to switch back to Trimec, I think I was getting a little better results with it. The agronomy dudes told me range star would be better for the clover. Don't think so.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may have to switch back to Trimec, I think I was getting a little better results with it. The agronomy dudes told me range star would be better for the clover. Don't think so.

Range star and trimec have the same actives. Trimec is heavier on 2,4-D than Dicamba and range star is the opposite. I’ll say again, get a better/stronger growth regulator.

- - - Updated - - -

Dicamba all of a sudden became a problem because of its later application timings into the summer with Dicamba tolerant beans= greater chance of volatility. It’s been used for decades in grass crops.

- - - Updated - - -

Trace amounts of a growth regulator can actually increase yields in drift instances. No one has been able to scientifically find a way to reproduce positive results that I’m aware of. Mother Nature throws a wrench in the results.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I use roundup in my yard for small areas I use a paint roller with a long handle doused in the roundup and just roll around the trees and flowers etc it doesnt drift and I have pinpoint control of where it goes.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A little dab of that in a bunch of that and it comes up just fine.

If the leaves go black it was to strong and if the weeds do not die it was to weak. Adjust the dabs accordingly.

db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me it was not a joke but. db

- - - Updated - - -

Just got old and in the end it just didn't mean nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

So for one I took it off and now the two of us can be happier.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88