Founding Member
Founding Member
How to catch 141#s of halibut starter kit
85E11A0E-3A26-417B-B1BB-5A09D683D8F2.jpg

www.dhcustombaits.com

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
The key to getting the halibut home at a half ass decent price? Buy some cheap ass coolers up there. Find a local freezer and have fish froze for a day or two. Think we paid about $1 per pound to have it froze for a few days. Load up coolers and make sure weight is legit right under 50 lbs. Pay as extra baggage, $25-$50 per cooler. Myself, wife, inlaws and wifes aunt and uncle did this exact thing, everyone had 1-2 coolers each. Paid about $1 a pound (plus freezing and packing cost) to get it home with us on our flight back to Billings. When we got back to central ND the top pound or two of fish was just starting to thaw so it worked out rather nice. I'd do the same thing next time we go up, which more than likely will be next summer.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cut up halibut in cubes 1-2”
dip in ranch or mayo
bread with crushed ritz crackers ( do not crush too fine )
tinfoil on cookie sheet place pieces spaced slightly apart
bake @ 500* for 10 min or so.

my current favorite quick recipe

I'm wearing a bib right now, because of the drool...

(I ain't proud..)

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not sure you can hunt or fish for anything and come out ahead in the per pound cost analysis. Don't think that's the reason any of us do what we do outdoors. If you can do it cheaper it's probably because all you have to do is walk out the door of your house and shoot a deer or catch a fish.

Have been to Alaska and fished for halibut, salmon, and whatever else would bite my hook. Great time and did have 100# of fish sent back for less than $100. This was about 20 year ago so have no idea what the cost is today. How to cook halibut? Any recipe you use for the fish in ND will work with halibut. Plus, any recipe you have for chicken will most likely also work. A very versatile fish.

My main point, we don't go on any fishing or hunting trips to save money. We go because either is cheaper than therapy.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree that Halibut is great to eat, but I have been told that catching them is overrated in regards to other fish that you can catch in Alaska. Is this a true statement? I think I heard them compared to reeling in a barn door, just looking for other opinions.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree that Halibut is great to eat, but I have been told that catching them is overrated in regards to other fish that you can catch in Alaska. Is this a true statement? I think I heard them compared to reeling in a barn door, just looking for other opinions.

Imagine two 75# paddle fish tied together by the balls in a 10mph tide swing !! Salmon fight like salmon, trout like trout, sheefish, char, grayling, same.... Halibut fight like halibut ! Anybody that compares a halibut fight to reeling in a barn door could be describing a very small part of the fight but no way shape or form is that describe how a halibut fights.

I’ve seen them pull a 100’ of line off a reel and wrap around the anchor rope in 250 FOW , right Dirty Mike ?

I’ve seen a halibut so big get hooked that for 5 minutes he couldn’t be pulled off the bottom until the fish tore the hook out of his face, right Uncle Jimbo ?

I bet Sluggo could tell you about the Predator and Captain Will, big halibut legend in Seward.

I have been fishing for halibut every year since 1996, and every year I see something different and awesome. And I’ll be back out next year bouncing a 16 or 28 ounce Snooty on the bottom of the gulf of Alaska hoping for a fish bigger than 150#s

Forgot to mention, the reels are spooled with 300# braid for a good reason.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would want my ass strapped down fishing for those big boys cause that water got to be cold.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imagine two 75# paddle fish tied together by the balls in a 10mph tide swing !! Salmon fight like salmon, trout like trout, sheefish, char, grayling, same.... Halibut fight like halibut ! Anybody that compares a halibut fight to reeling in a barn door could be describing a very small part of the fight but no way shape or form is that describe how a halibut fights.

I’ve seen them pull a 100’ of line off a reel and wrap around the anchor rope in 250 FOW , right Dirty Mike ?

I’ve seen a halibut so big get hooked that for 5 minutes he couldn’t be pulled off the bottom until the fish tore the hook out of his face, right Uncle Jimbo ?

I bet Sluggo could tell you about the Predator and Captain Will, big halibut legend in Seward.

I have been fishing for halibut every year since 1996, and every year I see something different and awesome. And I’ll be back out next year bouncing a 16 or 28 ounce Snooty on the bottom of the gulf of Alaska hoping for a fish bigger than 150#s

Forgot to mention, the reels are spooled with 300# braid for a good reason.

Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for. When you say they take 100' of line I'm guessing its more of a vertical fight? They aren't going to strip 100' of line a run out away from the boat like a salmon would?

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
They big ones stay on the bottom and run away from you. Watch the videos.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84