Digger Auger Carrier

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Starting to get things ready for a trip to Lake Winnipeg in a couple weeks. Need to mount my digger auger carrier on my Polaris Ranger 900. How have you guys mounted yours? I could mount it on the front, but then I got an idea of mounting it on the side of the box, but not sure if the plastic sidewalls of the box would hold up if a guys bouncing across Lake Winnpeg.

Thanks!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't help you out with what you're attaching it to, but per #guywhoknowsthings, I plan on subbing out the aluminum plate with a steel plate.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well i can attach it to the front bumper, or i was thinking of somehow rigging it to the top side of the box. There is holes in the side of the box and a guy could run a piece of rod through it with some big washers and a nut, and tighten it down. Odds are i'll be putting tracks on it and just trying to figure out where the best place would be to mount it so my auger is best protected from snow.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just carry it in the box, that is what I have done. The best part of the Ranger is you have a nice sized box to place everything in. I pull a sled and put stuff in the box and still have room for lots more stuff. The suspension on it also makes the ride on that rough ice a bit less than zipping across with a sled, however I am not sure about when the tracks are on it ride wise.

That is just my .02 cents.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks musky, I knew there was a thread awhile back! I'm going to mount it on the box and try it out and we'll see if I break/bust anything! I'm hoping I won't need to buy tracks this year, but I don't want to be getting stuck all the time while I'm on vacation to fish!

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I mounted mine on the box. I drilled the holes in carrier and bracket so I could use 3/8 inch ready rod. Seems very sturdy.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i bought one of these at the local polaris dealership... just used the 2 tall end pieces with a polaris lock and ride mount through the center of each and mounted it on the front or back rack into a hole on each side... ran 50 mph with the auger on... worked well for an auger or shovel or bar, and came off in ten seconds... tarp straps held it tight...

just check the with of the box to be sure your auger would span the width for the auger shaft to mount on each side... with an extension, i'm sure it would...

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/e...product=1175573&cattype=&ProductCategoryCode=

50-0800.jpg

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought one for my dad at Christmas for his 900 and I ordered the lock n ride accessory for eems sturdy enough and he didn't have to drill any holes in his new baby!

Attachments

20151225_175340.jpg

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
20151219_114510.jpg nothing fancy but big step up from the 400 Sportsman. As far as the aluminum plate....mounting it on the box like that it is only clear spanning the one inch hole in the box so shouldn't be an issue. I double nutted the ready rod top and bottom.

Last edited:

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody had problems with the shaft of the auger getting bent when in this type of rack? I prefer an auger rack that supports the head. Otherwise its just getting banged up and down. Could cause problems? I remember last years Winnipeg trip, riding along next to a buddy and watching the auger head bouncing up and down with every bump.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody had problems with the shaft of the auger getting bent when in this type of rack? I prefer an auger rack that supports the head. Otherwise its just getting banged up and down. Could cause problems? I remember last years Winnipeg trip, riding along next to a buddy and watching the auger head bouncing up and down with every bump.

if the head bobbing up/down happened on a digger they were doing it wrong. Head is completed supported and rotation is prevented too. The clamp/tensioner is adjustable - so you get it just tight enough to be secure which causes some flexing of the auger but not enough to bend.

You will not regret a Digger unless your auger is something odd with a head shape that can't be supported for some reason I can't envision.

in this pic the head is snuggled up against the auger flight stem support closest to you. I wrapped velcro fasteners around the head anti-prevention plate that sits a few inches under the auger flight stem support. The head rotation support is vertically adjustable so you can raise/lower up against the head gently to "trap" the head to prevent rotation.

The clamp grabs the stem really close to the head - just a couple inches down.

2015-12-15 08.10.03.jpg.

- - - Updated - - -

2013-03-15 18.00.28.jpg

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
how do these things start in really cold temps? A couple years ago up on lake winnipeg the temps in the morning was -35° F. we struggled to get our snowmobiles started. Would one of these new 900's start? what about the older 800's? My inlaws have about a 2010 800 that I might try to buy someday but it is put away for the winter so I have no idea how reliable it is in cold temps.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0363.jpg

Tommyboy,

here is a pic of my rig and you can see the motor resting on the bracket. This thing work awesome! I did bend an extension once tho. We were on peg and had two 12" extensions on and instead of resting the motor on that support bracket and having a crazy long overhang off the other side with the auger + 2 extensions I shifted everything to the right about a foot. Well one of the two extensions was the strikemaster brand hollow pipe and it bent. I should have just put the motor on the support like usual and just have a really long over hang on the other side. Not I have two of the solid extensions so it shouldn't be a problem again.

IMG_0361.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

guywhousesdigger, I know what you mean by that bottom aluminum plate being flimsy. You can see in my picture how it is bent but it has stayed nice and tight for a couple hundred miles now. Not a bad idea to replace it with a steel plate tho.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
30334.jpg nothing fancy but big step up from the 400 Sportsman. As far as the aluminum plate....mounting it on the box like that it is only clear spanning the one inch hole in the box so shouldn't be an issue. I double nutted the ready rod top and bottom.

What do you get for speed with your tracks? Does it ride smooth? AND HAVE YOUR BURIED IT YET?!

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't see that the Digger had a motor support. I thought it just grabbed the flighting and thats it. Thanks for the info guy and jig!

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you get for speed with your tracks? Does it ride smooth? AND HAVE YOUR BURIED IT YET?!

Fortunately I haven't been stuck yet. The ride isn't too bad. With the 800's the engine is under the seat where I believe the newer 900's it's under the box. Mine is fairly noisy. As far as speed, I can't say for sure as the speedo is off due to the tracks. Others might know, but I'd guess somewhere around 20ish plus??

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see that the Digger had a motor support. I thought it just grabbed the flighting and thats it. Thanks for the info guy and jig!

x2

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
guywhousesdigger, I know what you mean by that bottom aluminum plate being flimsy. You can see in my picture how it is bent but it has stayed nice and tight for a couple hundred miles now. Not a bad idea to replace it with a steel plate tho.

Ha ha ha - yes, I told dirty to ditch that part and use 1" steel square tubing or some more rigid structure. But yours will probably last a lifetime riding just how it is. Thumbs Up

Last edited:

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member

They say that typically with tracks your top speed is about 50% of what it is with tires. That's just a good rule of thumb.

krhuntin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know this is an old thread but gettting to be that time of year again, instead of making a new one just wanted to ask the individuals in this thread about the digger. I am purchasing one for my 2015 ranger 900, the aluminum plate you guys mention? what is that referring to? Want to mount using the lock and ride holes on the edge of box as previously pictured.

thanks in advance

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19