What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
5.6 ft box pulling a fifh wheel
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="2400" data-source="post: 224891" data-attributes="member: 3254"><p>OK, here you go. I am always amazed when I see or hear someone ask about hauling big, long, complex loads with a light, short wheelbase, 1/2 ton pick-up or SUV.</p><p></p><p>In my opinion the braking power isn't there to stop repeatedly in stop and go traffic let alone in an emergency. What happens when you need to make a quick lane change or emergency stop? The stock suspension, brakes and tires aren't built for the load of one BIG trailer let alone the force from two pushing and pulling as you drive, are you going to upgrade to 10 ply tires or just what use what it came with? </p><p></p><p>I think that kind of load is best hauled by a long bed 1 ton pick-up or at the least a well set up 3/4 ton with heavy duty shocks, maybe a sway bar, 10 ply rated tires, a quality brake controller, a forged hitch and ball. </p><p></p><p>I realize this won't be popular and I'll catch some shit for it but that's what I think after pulling all kinds of trailers and loads for almost 50 years with everything from an El Camino to a Peterbilt. I have an F-350 pick-up and an E-350 van to pull stuff with now. Yup the mileage could be a lot better as can the ride but I feel better towing with them.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="2400, post: 224891, member: 3254"] OK, here you go. I am always amazed when I see or hear someone ask about hauling big, long, complex loads with a light, short wheelbase, 1/2 ton pick-up or SUV. In my opinion the braking power isn't there to stop repeatedly in stop and go traffic let alone in an emergency. What happens when you need to make a quick lane change or emergency stop? The stock suspension, brakes and tires aren't built for the load of one BIG trailer let alone the force from two pushing and pulling as you drive, are you going to upgrade to 10 ply tires or just what use what it came with? I think that kind of load is best hauled by a long bed 1 ton pick-up or at the least a well set up 3/4 ton with heavy duty shocks, maybe a sway bar, 10 ply rated tires, a quality brake controller, a forged hitch and ball. I realize this won't be popular and I'll catch some shit for it but that's what I think after pulling all kinds of trailers and loads for almost 50 years with everything from an El Camino to a Peterbilt. I have an F-350 pick-up and an E-350 van to pull stuff with now. Yup the mileage could be a lot better as can the ride but I feel better towing with them. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Lotsa bots
Latest: Jiffy
A moment ago
A.I. Are you Excited?
Latest: lunkerslayer
Today at 6:26 AM
Having a bad day?
Latest: oaktackle
Today at 12:55 AM
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Makoti Lake, ND
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
How far can Paddlefish travel
Latest: bertmole75
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Yesterday at 9:54 PM
An oddball.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
Walleye tour sodak.
Latest: goldenpaddle74
Yesterday at 9:27 PM
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 9:07 PM
Food porn
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:23 PM
Oriska Rest Area Opens
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Twins
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:22 PM
Steak Knives?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:21 PM
Facial Recognition Software &
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:20 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
new reel for all around use?
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:43 PM
Librela injection
Latest: ridge_ferry
Yesterday at 7:40 PM
Generation X
Latest: KDM
Yesterday at 6:12 PM
Howdy All!
Latest: finnpike89
Yesterday at 6:05 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
5.6 ft box pulling a fifh wheel
Top
Bottom