5.6 ft box pulling a fifh wheel

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does any one here pull a fifth wheel with a 5.6 ft box, I am thinking about getting a 24 to a 26 ft fifth wheel, My current truck is a 2016 Tundra Pro with a 5.6 ft box, I really like this truck, and I am thinking weather to make this work with a sidewinder hitch and Airbags. or just getting a different truck with a longer box, I will also be pulling a 1850 Skeeter behind it, Tell me what you guys think.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
reasoning? I think the biggest issue I have is hitting the cab corners when Parking with the small box.

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Riverwood rv had an Open Range camper with a hitch specifically designed for the shorter box trucks. It is not on their site anymore so they must have sold it. If you search on Google for Open Range hitch it will bring up a video on YouTube showing how it works.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
reasoning? I think the biggest issue I have is hitting the cab corners when Parking with the small box.

Towing Capacity.

Guessing that 5th wheel is about 8k to 9k pounds loaded. The Skeeter and trailer loaded is about 4k I would guess. Thats 12-13k pounds. Not sure on the tundra, but I dont know of any half tons rated for that. Heck, up until a few years ago, there were some 3/4 ton packages not rated for that.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good points Rey, my pro is rated less then a regular tundra by a few hundred pounds, Boat is 2200 lbs, and it's just the wife and I is why I was thinking a 24 ft fifth wheel would be better, Most of our trips are around 70 miles give or take. I stopped by Capitol RV today and was checking out the options, I see a few number of half tons pulling campers now a days, is why I am here asking opinions, Just trying to decide to get a different truck or not, Like I said I really like the truck I have, but will part with it if needed

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i sell equipment for a living, and most have rated operating capacities, kinda like gvwr ratings on trucks...

i explain to customers every week that the machines will lift and pull more than the specs say, but when the sheriffs deputy, highway patrol, or insurance inspector call after an accident, all they are interested in is the manufacturers rated specs... i'm guessing prosecutors, judges, and jury's would be interested in the same info...

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tundra crew max and when I had my fifth wheel I purchased a glider hitch with it from corral sales, worked great. Forward position for towing, rear position for tight maneuvering. Have them install it, when I swapped to a newer tundra Theel had it swapped at glens welding and they didn’t look at how it was before or even inquired about how...just decided to drill holes in the wrong place and then tried to tell me to tow in the rear position although the 6” sticker on the hitch says absolutely not, after some discussion and a new truck box it was straightened out.

never pulled anything larger than a 16’ side counsel behind a 26’ fifth wheel as far as that goes, should also mention that mine was a half ton towable at 6400#

Last edited:

dirtybirds14

Founding Member
Founding Member
most 1/2 tons with air bags will pull it no problem, but the real issue is stopping when you need to in a hurry

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Camper and or boat alone, yes, combo no way.

What this guy said.

- - - Updated - - -

Get an F250 with a 6.5 ft bed and don't look back.

My 2009 pulls my 32(?) foot fifth wheel and the boat like nobody's business at 75 mph. I'd be crawling down the highway with your proposed setup.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
What this guy said.

- - - Updated - - -

My 2009 pulls my 32(?) foot fifth wheel and the boat like nobody's business at 75 mph. I'd be crawling down the highway with your proposed setup.

Most all pickup will pull that load down the highway at 75 mph. Try stopping that load. I ran a F350 for many yrs. I know how they brake.

Good luck

I have seen Farmer/Ranchers pulling 30 to 40 ft stock trailers down thehighway with a load of cattle. Same thing they will pull it, just damn hard to stop them.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have to get the ford let your wife drive it so when it’s broke you still have the tundra to drive haha

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Besides the braking don't forget the wind blows all the time and load stability comes into play. I pull a 30 ft 5th wheel with my 3/4 ton and I have had some white knuckle days with the 5th wheel trying to pull me off the road. Can't imagine having a spongy 1/2 ton with a short wheelbase trying to keep one on the road.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have mentioned this before in a thread that far too many pickups pulling 5th wheel campers are overloaded. So many are being pulled by 1/2 ton pickups and they can pull them but when something goes wrong your butt will be sued big time. Far too many are pulling way too fast also. Can you pull at 70-75-80? Yes i suppose you can, should you pull at that speed, no way. When things go south and you need to stop the speed and weight will push you like a bob sled.
If you have RV'd in the past and like it, go ahead and get a bigger or another pickup that will handle the loads. If you haven't RV'd in the past, buy or rent one first and try it to be sure you WILL like it and want to do it. Seen many people buy them and then not use them (like hot tubs) and then want to sell them or they pay storage for them to sit. Also many buy campers that are way too small. Being just you and your bride hopefully that size will work but it any doubt buy bigger than you think you may need. Just like an enclosed trailer.
You always need storage too don't forget that.
Good luck and not an easy decision to make!

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
What this guy said.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha and we wonder why innocent people get involved in accidents and die on the roadway. Utterly stupid

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pull a 25 gooseneck with a 2012 f150 but I have the 6.5 box. I baby it at 60-65 mph. Windy days suck. The pickup can definitely do it. But I'll be in the market for a 3/4 or 1 ton once I add a boat

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Besides the braking don't forget the wind blows all the time and load stability comes into play. I pull a 30 ft 5th wheel with my 3/4 ton and I have had some white knuckle days with the 5th wheel trying to pull me off the road. Can't imagine having a spongy 1/2 ton with a short wheelbase trying to keep one on the road.

Spongy is the correct word here. I used to pull a fifth wheel and my boat with a 1/2 ton. And like you said it was white knuckle. Took a lesser used backroad once and the road was kind of worn where vehicle tires track. With the wind the trailer and boat wanted to wander around a bit. At one point my boat whipped almost sideways. And with the softness of the 1/2 vs a 3/4 ton, you couldn't keep things nice and straight like they should be. After that trip I went to a 3/4 ton and the difference was significantly noticeable. No more white knuckles and a much more pleasurable ride. The spongy 1/2 ton would sway back and forth. The 3/4 ton had none of that. I don't pull it anymore so, I did go back to a 1/2 ton. But I surely wouldn't pull a 5th wheel and a boat again with a 1/2 ton. At least not for any distance more than a few hours of driving.

Last edited:

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most people running 1/2 tons dont have the right ply tires to pull any amount of weight. You need 8 or 10 ply tires. That extra stiffness in the sidewall will stop a lot of the whipping. Your tires dont flex as much so less whipping.

Same with trailers, they need good ply tires. The tires you have on your camper maybe rated just fine for your camper. But add another 2000 or 3000 lbs on the back of your camper. Can you say crack the whip??

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't have a fifth wheel but I pull a 38', 10k camper with my '17 Tundra CrewMax. I never travel distances longer than 80 miles and I never pull it during the busy times of the day. I'm usually on the road with it between 5-8AM. I can keep between 60-70mph no problem. I run a 1.2k weight distribution hitch combined with firestone air bags, usually at 35psi. I've never pulled a combo rig with it.

Everyone has their opinions on pulling trailers and most everyone here brings up great points. My Tundra is undersized for the load, which is why I give myself as many advantages as possible. I never ride anyone's ass, I use my trailer brakes 90% of the time, I add extra air to my rear tires cuz of the weight, and I don't pull in big winds cuz the load gets way too unstable; I won't be the guy pulling his camper at 45mph on a windy day.

If I were to pull a combo, I'd want a 3/4ton diesel truck and would probably still throw air bags in it cuz I love mine.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 194
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88