5.6 ft box pulling a fifh wheel

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most all pickup will pull that load down the highway at 75 mph. Try stopping that load. I ran a F350 for many yrs. I know how they brake.

Good luck

I have seen Farmer/Ranchers pulling 30 to 40 ft stock trailers down thehighway with a load of cattle. Same thing they will pull it, just damn hard to stop them.

If'n a guy is pulling 10,000 lbs and above without trailer brakes, well...I don't know what to say about that level of dumb. My brakes work just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha and we wonder why innocent people get involved in accidents and die on the roadway. Utterly stupid

Really? A guy pulls the speed limit in a properly setup fifth wheel and you're going to go there? Obviously there's a different braking/stopping distance for different vehicles on the highway. Can semi-tractors stop in the same distance as a sedan?

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally pull a 29' roughly 7500lb 5th wheel with a 2012 Nissan Titan with a 5.6' box and can't say I'm too fond of it. The clearance from the cab to camper is uncomfortably close in tight quarters! I have a B&W hitch with the extend a ball to move it back and it still sits pretty close to the cab. I do have 10ply tires and air bags as well. As for towing a boat behind that there is no way in hell I personally would recommend that. The clearance issue is bad enough but as others have stated the 1/2 ton already feels "spongy" so I can't imagine throwing a boat behind it. Mind you this only my opinion but we pull about every weekend and my next truck will be a 3/4 ton at least.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Does any one here pull a fifth wheel with a 5.6 ft box, I am thinking about getting a 24 to a 26 ft fifth wheel, My current truck is a 2016 Tundra Pro with a 5.6 ft box, I really like this truck, and I am thinking weather to make this work with a sidewinder hitch and Airbags. or just getting a different truck with a longer box, I will also be pulling a 1850 Skeeter behind it, Tell me what you guys think.

I recently traded my Tundra for a 3/4 T for this very exact same reason.. IF your going to be pulling weight that is near the max towing capacity, do the safe thing and upgrade pickups... Im glad I did, not only for my family but others as well. I called Toyota to explain my situation and from a safety/insurance perspective was advised to not pull the 10K pound fifth wheel with the Tundra..

One word of advice - Stay away from the RV dealer on the east side of Bismarck as they'll steer you in the wrong direction to make a sale - Safety First.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have I mention I have a dodge and then there are no worries? db

elkeater

I pulled a 25 ft 5th wheel and a 18 ft stratos with a 1/2 ton chevy with a 6.2l and a 5.5 ft box. It was rated at 10,500lbs towing capacity, all loaded it was right under that. I had no problems but air bags would have been nice, when it was windy. Try the new anderson hitch it moves the camper back some and it installs on a B&W turn over ball so no rails in the box. I know people that pull some heavy loads with the toyota with the 5.7 and they perform very well. Slow down and you should be fine.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pulled triples with my chevy shortbox 5.3.....24ft fifth wheel and 18ft lund. Under the gross weight. Its do able. Like with anything you can always make it better but where does it end? I had good trailer brakes, and good ten ply tires on everything. Keep it under 70. Airbags would have been nice but everything was set up pretty good the truck didnt squat much. Might have to get them with certain setups. Also, I use Reese slider hitch...not once have I had to use the slide function. Pay attention when parking and it will never be an issue. Unless you plan on jack knifing your trailer into parking spots then you will need a slider or sidewinder hitch but you should be fine....if you arent a dipstick.

I now have a tundra 1/2 to pull same combo (6.5ft box). We are always within 100 miles of Bis. If I was putting on alot of miles I would upgrade to 3/4. Its what you are comfortable with. If you are a nervous wreck about it just go get a bigger pickup and be done with it. But that was more $$$$ then I wanted to spend. And a diesel during hunting season didnt excite me. I need one truck to do it all.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had no problems what so ever with mine, windy or not, sway bar and trailer brakes was all I had, pulled 70 with ease and stopped just fine. However if I was to do again with my Stratos back there I’m sure it would be more noticeable. Never go farther than 80 miles or so. does the skeeter have surge/trailer brakes? Can’t see why youd have an issue if so and a brake control for the 5th wheel, if it gets squirrelly while driving throttle and power is what’ll straighten things out anyway

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a newer Jayco 5th wheel its listed at 27.5' but is actually 30' that I pull behind my f150. Gross weight you should be fine. Actual loaded pin weight is where you have to be carefull. Most properly loaded 5th wheels will be over weight on your rear axle. I've put mine on the scales a couple of times and without water but full of gear I am fine but add water and it's over my truck limit. Now the shitty part is full of water it pulls much smoother. Adding my 17' lund takes even more weight off of the rear axle. I'm under gcvwr but it makes the camper a little more uncomfortable to tow. Fortunately the wife can usually pull the boat up.

Now your original question about box length. Now under most conditions I have no issues with a short box. Once I turned right coming out of the tail race campground and had to turn around on the dirt rd by the spill way. Uneaven ground and I put a ding in my cab. I plan on ordering one of the ultimate connections which puts the camper back a little further. It will also cut 60# off my rear axles.

Another thing, my buddy bought a 1/2 ton towable and then decided to by a 3/4 ton truck. The 5th wheel couldn't be raised high enough to tow behind the 3/4 ton so then he had to by a new 5th wheel.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to google Anderson hitch , Looks like a nice setup if I decide to get another 5th wheel camper. My last few road trips I paid close attention to the tow hitches on 5th campers, I thought most of them look pretty light duty although I've never saw or heard of any major runaways so they must be strong enough for a heavy boat. I never go camping without the boat so I decided to pull my 06 dually out of retirement and put a 10.5' slide in camper on the flat bed. It looks kind of corny in a way with sideboards but there is nothing fancy about me. lots of storage room for the generator ,boat cover and everything else. I like to boondock and be able to hop in and drive away without hooking and unhooking a bunch of times. Not a lot of room but there's enough for my bride and I and a couple grandkids that's all I was after.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Brakes on the Skeeter are shot, I do Have a factory brake control in my tundra, The Skeeter is 2200 lbs and several campers that I have looked at are 5500 to 6500 lbs another 1000 lbs to load a camper put me in the area of 10,700 lbs, 3000 lbs more then my truck is rated for, So I went to look at new trucks today, boy they don't give them away do they, it's looking like I have to suck it up and get rid of my Tundra, thanks to everyone for your inputs, the ones I wanted to hear and the ones I didn't. A 3/4 ton is a smarter choice.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good call, better safe than sorry. Now you can start a thread about which 3/4 ton to buy.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck Radar and enjoy shopping for a new pickup! You made the right choice and better to be safe than sorry.
We have B&W gooseneck hitches in our 3/4 and our 1 ton dually. Have the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch that goes in the gooseneck hole so could move it from truck to truck if we wanted to pull with a different one. Seemed to always pull with the dually as that is rock solid pulling in wind and loved how it handled our big 5th wheel toyhauler fully loaded when we had it.
Check out the B&W setup it is sweet and can take out of your pickup bed in minutes if you want an empty bed!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
37760068_394249974312465_3294986235319156736_n.jpg

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Brakes on the Skeeter are shot, I do Have a factory brake control in my tundra, The Skeeter is 2200 lbs and several campers that I have looked at are 5500 to 6500 lbs another 1000 lbs to load a camper put me in the area of 10,700 lbs, 3000 lbs more then my truck is rated for, So I went to look at new trucks today, boy they don't give them away do they, it's looking like I have to suck it up and get rid of my Tundra, thanks to everyone for your inputs, the ones I wanted to hear and the ones I didn't. A 3/4 ton is a smarter choice.

Have you actually put your Skeeter on a scale? The boat is listed at 1800 lbs. Guesing its got a 150 - those are usually around 450-500 lbs. 40 gals of fuel is roughly 250 lbs. Trailer is roughly 1000 lbs. Thats 3500 lbs before you have any accessories or gear.

It is deceiving how quickly everything adds up.

P.S. The rest of us on the road really wish you would get those trailer brakes fixed...

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Skeeter has a 175 Merc, It;s a 1996 model, Nada has at 2200, I'm not sure if thats with the motor or not, When I price it out it says motor and trailer included, but I don't think that 2200 is the actual weight trailer included, I have been tempted to take it to the land fill and weight though, as for the brakes, by all the rust in the oil reservoir I don't think the brakes haven't worked since 1997, Probably cost the price of a new boat to fix them.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just south of Wilton when you turn off of Highway 83 and head east on Highway 36, there is a building there on the south side of the highway, that looks like it is a seed and /or fertilizer place. Anyway north of the building there is an outside scale and the readout for the scale used to be on the north side of the building so you could read it from your vehicle. We used it numerous times in the past to weigh our rigs and do an axle weight. Always went at night or late in the day so we wouldn't bother them. You can try that and hopefully it is still setup the same.
If you go during the day and they are still open go in and asked them to use their scale. Most won't charge you and a few will charge a couple bucks to 5 bucks. You guys heading north on 83 pulling your campers and/or boats can pull in and see what your rig actually weighs and do a per axle one too.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bigger is better, You never hear a guy complain about having too much truck. Or dick.:;:rockit

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does any one here pull a fifth wheel with a 5.6 ft box, I am thinking about getting a 24 to a 26 ft fifth wheel, My current truck is a 2016 Tundra Pro with a 5.6 ft box, I really like this truck, and I am thinking weather to make this work with a sidewinder hitch and Airbags. or just getting a different truck with a longer box, I will also be pulling a 1850 Skeeter behind it, Tell me what you guys think.

OK, here you go. I am always amazed when I see or hear someone ask about hauling big, long, complex loads with a light, short wheelbase, 1/2 ton pick-up or SUV.

In my opinion the braking power isn't there to stop repeatedly in stop and go traffic let alone in an emergency. What happens when you need to make a quick lane change or emergency stop? The stock suspension, brakes and tires aren't built for the load of one BIG trailer let alone the force from two pushing and pulling as you drive, are you going to upgrade to 10 ply tires or just what use what it came with?

I think that kind of load is best hauled by a long bed 1 ton pick-up or at the least a well set up 3/4 ton with heavy duty shocks, maybe a sway bar, 10 ply rated tires, a quality brake controller, a forged hitch and ball.

I realize this won't be popular and I'll catch some shit for it but that's what I think after pulling all kinds of trailers and loads for almost 50 years with everything from an El Camino to a Peterbilt. I have an F-350 pick-up and an E-350 van to pull stuff with now. Yup the mileage could be a lot better as can the ride but I feel better towing with them.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93