What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
500,000 acre habitat program
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Tymurrey" data-source="post: 479907" data-attributes="member: 859"><p>The thing I don't like about this program and most of the other programs is they only apply to cropland and not enhancing all habitat. I am biased with that i'm sure. I'll use my example. I have a 20 acre chunk of pasture that i fenced off to plant trees on and i put a couple food plots in. It was marginal pasture, lots of short grass prairie so not even worth haying really and not great cover throughout the year. I could get cost share to plant the trees but nothing to offset the cost of losing the pasture and not the same amount of cost share if it was cropland. By planting trees i lose out on guaranteed income on land that i'm paying taxes on if i would have left it in grazing land along with the maintenance, time, and cost to maintain the trees. I have about 15 of those 20 acres that I wanted to put into native tall grass prairie for winter cover and nesting cover. I could get cost share on seed but thats it. Programs like this provide continued support if it were cropland to help offset the lost income and expenses to maintain. There is no way to break even financially or even come close by planting habitat anymore and if i decide to eat the cost i'm treated like an evil a-hole by many on sites like this because i'm a landowner who might not let others hunt. At this point my plan is to break it up, maybe break up some more of the pasture ground, collect crop rent or plant oats and hay it for a few years and maybe put into habitat then or say screw take the rent money and use it to hunt out of state.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Tymurrey, post: 479907, member: 859"] The thing I don't like about this program and most of the other programs is they only apply to cropland and not enhancing all habitat. I am biased with that i'm sure. I'll use my example. I have a 20 acre chunk of pasture that i fenced off to plant trees on and i put a couple food plots in. It was marginal pasture, lots of short grass prairie so not even worth haying really and not great cover throughout the year. I could get cost share to plant the trees but nothing to offset the cost of losing the pasture and not the same amount of cost share if it was cropland. By planting trees i lose out on guaranteed income on land that i'm paying taxes on if i would have left it in grazing land along with the maintenance, time, and cost to maintain the trees. I have about 15 of those 20 acres that I wanted to put into native tall grass prairie for winter cover and nesting cover. I could get cost share on seed but thats it. Programs like this provide continued support if it were cropland to help offset the lost income and expenses to maintain. There is no way to break even financially or even come close by planting habitat anymore and if i decide to eat the cost i'm treated like an evil a-hole by many on sites like this because i'm a landowner who might not let others hunt. At this point my plan is to break it up, maybe break up some more of the pasture ground, collect crop rent or plant oats and hay it for a few years and maybe put into habitat then or say screw take the rent money and use it to hunt out of state. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: Colt45
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: Wally World
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
N
Jap Beatles
Latest: NodakBob
Yesterday at 8:17 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: bucksnbears
Yesterday at 7:59 PM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Wally World
Saturday at 2:52 PM
W
Tailrace
Latest: walleyewanker
Saturday at 2:06 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:43 AM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Thursday at 12:11 PM
National Grasslands Roads
Latest: Walleye Slayer
Thursday at 9:23 AM
Z
Soybeans
Latest: zoops
Thursday at 6:09 AM
Outdoor adventure bucket lis
Latest: svnmag
Wednesday at 10:32 PM
A.I. Are you Excited?
Latest: CatDaddy
Wednesday at 10:12 PM
N
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: NodakBob
Wednesday at 7:27 PM
A
NDSU to the FBS???
Latest: Auggie
Wednesday at 6:13 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
500,000 acre habitat program
Top
Bottom