making my own jigs, trapping and keeping my own minnows

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely, have a buddy that when he fishes that's about all he uses is plain lead heads.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything around 4 cents a hook is in the ballpark. Lots of suppliers have that price. I get mine from Barlows Tackle.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything around 4 cents a hook is in the ballpark. Lots of suppliers have that price. I get mine from Barlows Tackle.

i over paid!

- - - Updated - - -

12833460_10101728878725265_2126750787_n.jpg

12822188_10101728878680355_1981515917_n.jpg

well im getting there.. do putting in eyes make a big difference? and if so how do i go about doing that?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

I overpaid as well. I was buying small amounts and paying 10 cents a hook and 10 cents for the wire keeper. Still hurts to lose one at that price per jig. I need to order in bulk.

- - - Updated - - -

Head of a nail, qtip, many options out there. I don't think they're really necessary. Do you have good luck with those short shank hooks?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I overpaid as well. I was buying small amounts and paying 10 cents a hook and 10 cents for the wire keeper. Still hurts to lose one at that price per jig. I need to order in bulk.

The hooks you use are damn nice tho, and they're big. Cheap ones bend out too easy.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Head of a nail, qtip, many options out there. I don't think they're really necessary. Do you have good luck with those short shank hooks?

i just made a few it just so happened to be short shanked ones were what i started with i do have longer shanked ones to try out too just havent done that yet

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually use a size larger than recommended for whatever weight jig Im making...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
jigs are weird - some days if you don't have THE weight that is needed you are not getting bit

+- 1/16 oz difference can be all it takes between limit and skunked... or pigs and eaters ;:;banghead

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
jigs are weird - some days if you don't have THE weight that is needed you are not getting bit

+- 1/16 oz difference can be all it takes between limit and skunked... or pigs and eaters ;:;banghead

Was there a day like that?#$%^&>

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jigs look good arrow!!! I just went through Scheels and HOLY BUCKET O" BOLTS BATMAN do they know what they want for jigs. 80 cents each for plain lead jig heads they call "Silver". Most jigs are 30 plus cents each. YIKES!! I just picked up 5 new colors for my jigs to try out, so now I'm all giddy to see what they look like. I might have to put up a pic of all the colors I have so you guys can see what they look like without buying the paint first. More to come...............

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've found jigs that I like with hooks that aren't junk and I gladly pay 75-80 cents a piece. A good hook is what raises the price of a jig, but it is worth it. Buying all the crap to make jigs isn't a problem, it's the time. With a career, 3 kids, and wife I don't have time to piss around with it. I wish I did.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as painting goes, why can't a guy just lay a row of hooks on some cardboard with a long strip of tape over the hooks and and spray away with a rattle can? Flip them over and hit them again. Wala, paint a hundred at a time. Maybe a paint sticking issue?

- - - Updated - - -

I did look up spray painting and I see you need a base coat, then paint and then maybe a clear coat. Maybe more of a hassle than powder paint.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most jigs get lost when u are fishing the river long before the paint comes off.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82