A blast from the past -maybe a thousand + blasts

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed from the date on some old records that in another week will be exactly 50 years since I loaded my first hand load!
Things were crude back then and I had little money, but managed to buy a LEE loader for my 1917 30-06, a crude sporterized WW1 veteran, original iron sights.
In addition to the loader itself, less than 10 bucks, you had to buy primers, a plastic mallet, a box of bullets and a can of powde, all for about 20 bucks. The sporting goods store owner looked at available powders back then, and found that the only load combo that would fit a bullet weight and the included powder scoop was IMR 4320. About 46 grains if my old records are accurate. And a150 grain bullet.
You'd take the spent cartridge, drive out the old primer, then hammer it into the “ die” which only neck sized it, then reprised it in the base thing that also served as a bullet seater. Once reprimed you’d take a scoop of 4320 leveled off with a pocket knife, then dump it down the die into the case. Then you’d take a bullet and tap it home with the bullet seater thing ( the primer was safely kept in the clear by the base thing! Tapping the bullet home popped the loaded round out of the die! I still have the original plastic mallet from 50 years ago, too.
i used this fairly crude reloader for years till I could afford a then new RCBS JR press (now outdated by the rockchucker but still works perfectly) and a powder scale and measure. With the old Eddystone 06 I shot lots of deer, a caribou, elk, Black bears, moose, a stone sheep and mountain goats. The longest shot in those days was about 150 yards on a goat,maybe maybe 100 on the sheep. Missed a huge bighorn at about 100 yards...damn...but you remember misses more clearly than hits!
No range finders back the. Later on I had the old gun drilled and tapped for a cheap 30 dollar Japanese scope, equivalent to the cheapest made in China scope these days.
Before the gun was scoped I won second prize in an iron sight mechanical running game competition. Wait, guess it was first prize. The guy who shold have easily beaten me mistakingly stuffed 270 loads in his 06, and his bullets went pretty wild! We all kidded him that he now had good fire formed brass! LOL
I've reloaded maybe 10,000 rounds, a variety of pistol and rifle since than, and have got quite a few interested in reloading, recently mentoring a young fellow with some more modern stuff to start with.
Seeing my 50 year old handwriting and scribbling in the margins of my first reloading manual (now a collectors item) brought back a lot of old memories that I thought I’d share. Hope I’m smart enough to include pictures.
I wonder how many handloaders started with the ancient LEE loaders? I’d bet several on this website, mostly old farts like me. LOL

Forgot to add that bullet selection was limited in those days and for years in that locality, the only 150 grain .308 bullets available were Speer round nose, which I used for everything. Finally switched to Nosler Partitions for bigger game, but that was after years of using the same old round nose bullets.

Attachments

9CBC1814-A908-412A-B030-7B12BF5B148B.jpg 7C7D2F8E-307D-4089-916B-EED31121DD71.jpg
Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brings back a lot of old memories. A buddy of mine reloaded and we spent hours in his reloading room. Never tired of it.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good stuff! I also remember the old Lyman hand tool (model #310 I think). I sold lots of Lee kits in the store from 1971-1982. (GFKS)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When me and my brother and one friend shot P-Dogs it was 10,000 rounds of 22-250 per year easy. I could reload those bullets in my sleep. When we would shoot that much we loaded down to 3300 ft per sec to save on heating up the barrel. Used IMR 4895 at 31 and 1/2 gr. and speer 53 grain hollow points until the plastic tips came out. We had a shoot north east to Miles City Montana, we started on Friday afternoon with 2,000 rounds and was at a sporting goods store late sat to buy more supplies. Reloaded sat night to be able to shoot Sunday. Had compititions between us as from just head shots to shooting under the dog to see how many flips in the air you could get them to do. FUN FUN FUN

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
When me and my brother and one friend shot P-Dogs it was 10,000 rounds of 22-250 per year easy. I could reload those bullets in my sleep. When we would shoot that much we loaded down to 3300 ft per sec to save on heating up the barrel. Used IMR 4895 at 31 and 1/2 gr. and speer 53 grain hollow points until the plastic tips came out. We had a shoot north east to Miles City Montana, we started on Friday afternoon with 2,000 rounds and was at a sporting goods store late sat to buy more supplies. Reloaded sat night to be able to shoot Sunday. Had compititions between us as from just head shots to shooting under the dog to see how many flips in the air you could get them to do. FUN FUN FUN

definitely FUf, FUN, FUN! Get on a big seldom shot dog town and you can go thru hundreds of rounds per day. Lots of reloading press lever pulling when you get home. I don’t shoot so much nowadays, but p dog shooting does more to improve your aim at big game than enything else I can think of, except maybe tuning up trigger pulls! Do both and you’ll not have to load much hunting ammo! Maybe only one round per deer season?? Hah!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bobkat I used the same Lee loader for 22 Hornet, back in 1957. I didn't have that many brass so I would carry the loader, mallet, primers, powder, and bullets in an old pant leg. I don't know if it was legal to shoot coot back in 1957, or maybe a dumb kid just didn't know. I would shoot 20 rounds or so then sit behind this big old buffalo rub rock and reload.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can keep your kiddie toys.

#Co-Ax #Dillon550

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Bobkat I used the same Lee loader for 22 Hornet, back in 1957. I didn't have that many brass so I would carry the loader, mallet, primers, powder, and bullets in an old pant leg. I don't know if it was legal to shoot coot back in 1957, or maybe a dumb kid just didn't know. I would shoot 20 rounds or so then sit behind this big old buffalo rub rock and reload.

Hah! A few years ago I bought one of those hand held lee portable press things to reload black powder/ pyrodex in the Sharps and Springfield and rolling B to reload in Az for fooling around on the range. Got busy with so much other stuff down there I didn’t use it much, though it made great ammo. Recently gave it away to a beginner loading fellow.
Stuff sure is different from 50 years ago. Definitely faster and arguably better, but more fun! Still challenging and fun! Heading to the range this pm to check a load or two and p dogs tomorrow!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 130
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77