Favorite Reloading Components

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Berger Vld and vortex thats the magic. It’s so magical you can see rainbows with leprechauns and gold. It’s just so surreal. Any caliber, anytime, anywhere. I would neck up a .257 weatherby to a 6.5 with Berger’s and just breathe in the air of confidence. With that speed and a hollow point expect something you can’t imagine.

Why not neck down a 300 Wby to a 6.5 and you have more speed and then just breathe in the air with confidence.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the worst thread ever! The list is long and endless. I have been loading for all my rifles since I can't remember when. Things have progressed thank god cuz some steps just plain sucked. I have added a lot more rifles over the years and more reloading components also. From 223 to 7mm and everything in between. I run Berger, Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra bullets. Why? I have no idea! Powder is the same, I have so many different ones and some havn't been used in years. The only consistent on my bench is Federal Match primers. There is no magic fairy dust of reloading. I can usually pick a bullet and a powder and find a load that will shoot. Brass just recently fought me with my newest rifle the 22 Creedmoor. I purchased 300 Alpha brass and immediately had pressure issues. Narrowed it down to the brass volume, switched to Hornady brass and issues went away. Put a bad taste in my mouth for high end brass. Hornady works well and I don't get pissed if I lose one hunting.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brass just recently fought me with my newest rifle the 22 Creedmoor. I purchased 300 Alpha brass and immediately had pressure issues. Narrowed it down to the brass volume, switched to Hornady brass and issues went away. Put a bad taste in my mouth for high end brass. Hornady works well and I don't get pissed if I lose one hunting.

Quikload is probably my most valuable reloading component. I can plug in the H2O volume of FF'd brass along w/actual COAL the powder charges and have a very reasonable idea about pressure/velocity for given powder charges. Then correlate that w/actual chrono values. Gives a good idea of what powder charge increments should equal as well as a closer "guesstimate/prediction" of what top velocity should be for a given chamber dimensions/brass capacity/powder charge/bullet weight.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well took a little bit of inventory last night beings I haven't done much reloading in the past year and am sitting in a pretty decent position to start some experimenting. For powders I have about or slightly more than 1/3 of a pound of these Accurate 2460, IMR 4831, H4831SC and RL22 plus my buddy has a bunch of Retumbo that we will probably do some testing with. Bullets I'm down to 5 TTSX 120gr for the 6.5 and for the 7mm about 75 TSX in 150gr. Brass is a mix of Lapua with some once fired and some 2 and 3 fired with about 40 Nosler that are once fired, for the 7mm I got 25 unfired and 25 once fired Nosler. Primers are the Winchesters in LR and LRM but those are all just about out so primers are on the shopping list.
I grew up reloading with my dad and the stuff he accumulated prior to my stuff is pretty amazing and the steps I go through are way more than what he ever really did and my steps probably seem crude to some of you still but normally have done pretty well it just takes me longer than most. Over the last few years his health and mobility hasn't been the greatest so I really just throw a few rounds together that group to about the size of a quarter or better and go hunting or buy a box of premium ammo to test. With working on moving out to the farm I will probably be getting back into the swing of it again. Next up is going through the big tool box to inventory what else is hiding or forgotten about beings I have kept most of my stuff separate.
Thanks for the different inputs guys

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well took a little bit of inventory last night beings I haven't done much reloading in the past year and am sitting in a pretty decent position to start some experimenting. For powders I have about or slightly more than 1/3 of a pound of these Accurate 2460, IMR 4831, H4831SC and RL22 plus my buddy has a bunch of Retumbo that we will probably do some testing with. Bullets I'm down to 5 TTSX 120gr for the 6.5 and for the 7mm about 75 TSX in 150gr. Brass is a mix of Lapua with some once fired and some 2 and 3 fired with about 40 Nosler that are once fired, for the 7mm I got 25 unfired and 25 once fired Nosler. Primers are the Winchesters in LR and LRM but those are all just about out so primers are on the shopping list.
I grew up reloading with my dad and the stuff he accumulated prior to my stuff is pretty amazing and the steps I go through are way more than what he ever really did and my steps probably seem crude to some of you still but normally have done pretty well it just takes me longer than most. Over the last few years his health and mobility hasn't been the greatest so I really just throw a few rounds together that group to about the size of a quarter or better and go hunting or buy a box of premium ammo to test. With working on moving out to the farm I will probably be getting back into the swing of it again. Next up is going through the big tool box to inventory what else is hiding or forgotten about beings I have kept most of my stuff separate.
Thanks for the different inputs guys

Doing load workup within walking distance of a shooting bench seems like a neat concept..........

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Necking down a .300 weatherby to a 6.5 makes too much sense. Stick with rainbows and Nancy.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My kitchen window does not have a sink in front of it, Double hung window put an old pillow on the sill and I am good to go. Set up a bunch of targets late in the fall so if I get bored and the wind is not blowing from the north I can have some fun. Messed up my new hip 2 weeks before deer season so my house was my heated blind. Worked too. Head shot a nice doe second Thursday of the season. Friend came over and helped me get it up to the back yard gutted and hung. Not really how I like to hunt but I like venison so I take whats handed to me. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75