Airfryer and Fish

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a lot of buzz about airfryers this past holiday season. I never heard of them prior to a month ago, but it seems like they have been around a few years but have really taken off lately with many different brands offering their take on it.

Its hard to beat a fresh fish fry, but it gets to be a hassle when just cooking for the wife and I. The smell and disposal of the oil seem to be the biggest pains.

These airfryers look to have potential to eliminate that. Has anyone used these for fresh fish? Any tips?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is also a recent recipe for crappie cakes that sound delicious. Why would't it also work for these? Well, other than the suggestion for cakes was to cook on the ice. I guess in that case you need to bring a generator as well. That's for those of us who don't have fancy wheeled houses with commercial kitchens.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy got one for Christmas. He used it when we are up at Lake of the Woods. To be honest I never watched him use it but did eat fish made in it. Tasted alright and sounded like less of a hassle than frying but I still think frying with oil tastes better. Just my $.02.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the input. Ill have to try some different methods.

Ill probably start with the go to breading and just throw them in and see how they end up. If the crisp isn't there or the fish seems dried out Ill probably try a few sprays of olive oil during the cook process.

I have some halibut in the freezer that is more like a chunk of chicken then the soft walleye fillets, Ill probably start with that.

Duke9999

I love my air fryer for french fries and other frozen foods, like chicken drummies onion rings and such. It cooks then golden brown with no mess. I have tried fish, but its not as good as oil frying or pan frying.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
A buddy got one for Christmas. He used it when we are up at Lake of the Woods. To be honest I never watched him use it but did eat fish made in it. Tasted alright and sounded like less of a hassle than frying but I still think frying with oil tastes better. Just my $.02.

I really like the Frying Saucer, uses way less oil and it drains the oil off nicely before eating. Cleanup is super easy with just a few paper towels.

http://www.thefryinsaucercompany.com/

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my air fryer for french fries and other frozen foods, like chicken drummies onion rings and such. It cooks then golden brown with no mess. I have tried fish, but its not as good as oil frying or pan frying.

Have you tried adding a bit of oil to the breading or spraying oil on the fish as they were cooking?

I am guessing the frozen food stuff works so well in the air fryers because they already have some sort of oil on the breading or crust because that allows them to be cooked in the oven and get crispy.

I'm going to give it a shot in any case.

phillyblunt701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried it a couple weeks ago. I would recommend coating the filets with a little oil to make it more crispy. They did however turn out ok. IMG_20170131_201114161.jpg

tommygun23

Established Member
I also have one, tried breaded fish in it, definitely not as good as oil frying. But man does that air fryer cook some mean ass pizza rolls! Frozen foods are by far the best in this device.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
I had one of these for a while but sold it. Hard to regulate the temp IMO. Now I have a small electric fryer from Cabelas which I like much better.

Yeah it took a little getting used to.. I thought it was no different than my outside single burner fish fryer with tank regulator so it was relatively easy for us, but I know what you mean...

Im guessing the Air Fryer was definitely intended for the frozen food department.. Pizzaz will cook some mean pizza rolls as well :;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33