Founding Member
s7_540839_imageset_01

Cabela's 12" Commercial-Grade Vacuum Sealer

Regular Price: $329.99 Sale Price: $214.49

Or

s7_541102_imageset_02

Cabela's 15" Commercial-Grade Vacuum Sealer

Regular Price: $449.99 Sale Price: $292.49

What are your thoughts on these 2 sealers?

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should just spend the extra money and get a chamber type sealer. I bought the ary VP112A 5 yrs ago when they first came out. Best damn sealer I have ever used! Never had an issue with it. I think guy who fishes bought one not too long ago also. Maybe he wI'll chime in.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used the 15" model and sealed quite a bit of meat with it, it is a good sealer, but if/when I buy a new sealer it will be a chamber style sealer, can vacuum seal liquids(leftover soups/stews and marinates), and the bags are way cheaper for chamber style sealers. Only downfall I can find of a chamber style is you are limited on bag size unless you buy a larger commercial one that cost $$$$

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my first food saver this year I cant believe I never had one before, I use that sucker on everything now.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Foodsaver and while its been ok I'm looking for something better so I'll be paying attention to this thread.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you use it a lot, spend the extra and get a chamber vac. It'll pay for itself in cheap bags(they are just a few cents a piece), and it will last much longer. Plus you can seal liquids. A bit more expensive but worth every penny. I have the Vavmaster VP112 and use it all the time. It's a great machine.

Skibbys bottom

Established Member
I have the commercial, it works fine but as everyone has stated I too am looking at a vacuum sealer for my next one. One way to seal liquids is to freeze it first then seal. I found out that it works well if you partially freeze your meat which in turn does not fill up your tray with liquids or blood.

Anyone using the vacuum sealers, do you have trouble with the bags breaking down and getting a partially sealed bag? Was wondering because I have some that when you seal them they seem to get air back in. I took and double sealed the bottom and if enough room double seal the top. Seems to work most of the time. Just curious.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
VP 112s here. Love it. Can do rottiserie chickens and smaller. Saved $100s in bags, way more types of bags available, can vacuum anything (cooked squash, broth, etc.)

chill anything that might "foam" when it boils because it will overflow

galwhofishes didn't take my advice - twice - ha ha ha

i knew better from de-airing epoxies/silicones at work with chamber vacuum

when you pack broth it boils during the process - people who watch it lose their minds - it's room temp and boiling

- - - Updated - - -

Only down side is they are big countertop hogs - not kitchen friendly - mine is in our laundry/freezer room.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I double seal tops and bottoms quite often. Had some food saver brands that had bad factory seams on the sides. Talked with them and they sent me replacements after doing some water tests

fishman

Founding Member
Founding Member
JUSTWINGNIT is right! spend the money and get the vacmaster. bought one this year. bags are only 9 cents when bought in bulk.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought one of the cheap olliso from Scheels a while ago. havnt had any issues and the bags arnt bad. They claim 12 uses for each bag if you just reseal there is no problem but put them threw the dishwasher and they dont always seal right again.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got a bunch of bags in. If anyone wants to buy some of them in FM area they can PM me.

1 | 30610 | 6 x 10 4MIL Chamber Vacuum Sealer Bags - | 01/06/2017 | 785243998880 FEDEX
| Case of 1000

1 | 30754 | 8 x 12 4MIL Chamber Vacuum Sealer Bags - | 01/06/2017 | 785243998880 FEDEX
| Case of 1000

1 | 50717 | 6 x 10 Zipper Chamber Vacuum Sealer Bags - | 01/06/2017 | 785243998880 FEDEX
| Case of 1000
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at the machine on line, how does it work? do you lay your bag with the meat in it on that tray?

I only use mine for venison, jerky, homemade sausage, and sometimes large quantity left overs.

$600 seems a significant investment for a rare user. Sell me on it #guywhohasexpensivesealer

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use the foodsaver style and get most of our bags for half price and get 96 feet by 11 inches of bag for 25 bucks. I've thought about getting a chamber style, but Mama uses the vac sealer every other day on something and dragging a big chamber sealer out and putting it back isn't something she wants to do. What Mama Wants in this house, I do my darndest to make sure Mama Gets in this house.

Forgot to add that most chamber sealers won't handle the size chickens we have to vac pack without costing a couple grand. Our 8-12 lb chickens take up a bit of space to vac seal.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at the machine on line, how does it work? do you lay your bag with the meat in it on that tray?

I only use mine for venison, jerky, homemade sausage, and sometimes large quantity left overs.

$600 seems a significant investment for a rare user. Sell me on it #guywhohasexpensivesealer

chamber are big so that sucks. probably a little slower too

I bought one cuz I vacuum a LOT - the bags are also dirt cheap. Also I hated getting bad seals and the cleaning out fishy water/blood/etc. with traditional baggers. sometimes I forgot the fishy water and YUCK to discover that later

A chamber vacuum pulls a vacuum on everything - the bag and the food - so there's no equilibrium disruption - no driving force to squirt the liquid out the bag. A traditional unit pulls a vacuum only on the bag's mouth right?... leaving the pressure of the atmosphere to push hard on the bag and force liquids out the bag's mouth toward the sealer - so the seal must eventually take place with a nice film of liquid in the way if you are vacuuming juicy stuff. Result is crappy seals and cleanup of the drip tray inside the foodsaver all the time. Grrr...

Once I go through the hassle of sealing I don't want to find poor seals 3 months later - I was always having to be a seal nazi with the foodsavers. Pissed me off to no end. Wiping the inner lips, resealing again, etc.

Chamber vacuums aren't for everyone. But I love mine. I just bought 1000 ziplock style bags for jerkey, morel mushrooms, etc. - foods where it would be handy to be able to open/close for the next few hours/days once you've opened them. They are permanently sealed just like any vacuum bag unless/until the first time you open them - just like the jerky bags at minimart.

a rare user should pass on the chamber IMO - it's for people who buy stuff in bulk and want to store meals, fish, game, etc. a lot

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought 4 mil bags - the super thick quality stuff the frozen meat/steak/seafood joints use. 5-7 cents per bag. Foodsaver types are easily 5x-10x that cost I am pretty sure.

- - - Updated - - -

96 ft for $25 is a great price for traditional textured stuff KDM - about $.25/bag I think? Then again you have to cut/seal to make your bags too. I found that got old when a guy really wanted to "go to town" on a big batch of whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

JUSTWINGNIT is right! spend the money and get the vacmaster. bought one this year. bags are only 9 cents when bought in bulk.

4-6.5 cents each in bulk bulk ;)

1 | 30610 | 6 x 10 4MIL Chamber Vacuum Sealer Bags - | $39.47 | $39.47
| Case of 1000

1 | 30754 | 8 x 12 4MIL Chamber Vacuum Sealer Bags - | $64.73 | $64.73
| Case of 1000

1 | 50717 | 6 x 10 Zipper Chamber Vacuum Sealer Bags - | $51.46 | $51.46
| Case of 1000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

974083.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah guy, we figure we spend about 25 cents for a gallon ziplock bag sized piece. When we do summer sausage we get 4 bags from the same length of material. Might get one for the slaughter house if I find a spare 7 Benjamins laying around. They sure are a good piece of equipment and for our lifestyle, it'd get a workout.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
chamber are big so that sucks. probably a little slower too

I bought one cuz I vacuum a LOT - the bags are also dirt cheap. Also I hated getting bad seals and the cleaning out fishy water/blood/etc. with traditional baggers. sometimes I forgot the fishy water and YUCK to discover that later

A chamber vacuum pulls a vacuum on everything - the bag and the food - so there's no equilibrium disruption - no driving force to squirt the liquid out the bag. A traditional unit pulls a vacuum only on the bag's mouth right?... leaving the pressure of the atmosphere to push hard on the bag and force liquids out the bag's mouth toward the sealer - so the seal must eventually take place with a nice film of liquid in the way if you are vacuuming juicy stuff. Result is crappy seals and cleanup of the drip tray inside the foodsaver all the time. Grrr...

Once I go through the hassle of sealing I don't want to find poor seals 3 months later - I was always having to be a seal nazi with the foodsavers. Pissed me off to no end. Wiping the inner lips, resealing again, etc.

Chamber vacuums aren't for everyone. But I love mine. I just bought 1000 ziplock style bags for jerkey, morel mushrooms, etc. - foods where it would be handy to be able to open/close for the next few hours/days once you've opened them. They are permanently sealed just like any vacuum bag unless/until the first time you open them - just like the jerky bags at minimart.

a rare user should pass on the chamber IMO - it's for people who buy stuff in bulk and want to store meals, fish, game, etc. a lot

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought 4 mil bags - the super thick quality stuff the frozen meat/steak/seafood joints use. 5-7 cents per bag. Foodsaver types are easily 5x-10x that cost I am pretty sure.

- - - Updated - - -

96 ft for $25 is a great price for traditional textured stuff KDM - about $.25/bag I think? Then again you have to cut/seal to make your bags too. I found that got old when a guy really wanted to "go to town" on a big batch of whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

4-6.5 cents each in bulk bulk ;)

1 | 30610 | 6 x 10 4MIL Chamber Vacuum Sealer Bags - | $39.47 | $39.47
| Case of 1000

1 | 30754 | 8 x 12 4MIL Chamber Vacuum Sealer Bags - | $64.73 | $64.73
| Case of 1000

1 | 50717 | 6 x 10 Zipper Chamber Vacuum Sealer Bags - | $51.46 | $51.46
| Case of 1000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

974083.jpg

Hey guy, where do you get your bags?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54