BBQ pulled pork

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My parents 40th anniversary is this Saturday and I've been volunteered to do the main course. Trying to feed 80 people might be a challenge. I figured some bbq pulled pork sandwiches would suffice. So, any of you guys have some recipes to get me going.

Looks like the choice of cut is the pork butt (shoulder). Butcher block in Mandan has them for $2.04/lb. anywhere else in Bismarck/Mandan I should look? Thanks guys.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check Sam's club if you have a membership there. Feeding 80 people you might need a whole case and I know Sam's is usually cheaper if you buy it by the case. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork4.html I have made it this way before with good results. There are many different rub recipes on the interweb for pulled pork find one that looks good to you and giver hell. Just curious how do you plan on making that much meat? Have access to a large smoker?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well they're not all going home with two lbs of pulled pork in their bellies. 20 lbs of meat along with a lot of salads and desserts. And beers.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
With bone, fat trimming and cooked down weight you will need to cook 30 to 40 lbs of meat to end up with 20lbs and that is only 1/4 lb per person at 80 people. What are you going eat at midnight when the beer munchies come? Can't beat pulled pork sammys.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just put a generic memphis rub on the night or two before. Slather in mollases and mustard next day. Cook em low/slow 220-230F in oven or big electric roaster until the internal temp is 195 and meat is falling off bone. Let them rest before pulling. Do NOT OVERCOOK TEMP. Get a fast response thermometer probe and use it.

Smoking isn't critical if you can't - just supply a smoky bbq sauce as one sauce option.
If you can "presmoke" for a while in a grill a few at a time firs, then switch them to roaster/oven to finish, that would help.

Buy only bone-in! Bone flavor is key IMO. And NOT the "picnic" (lower) shoulder.

Butts refrigerate and reheat great - so wrap them in foil and refrig if you have to make in batches over a couple days. Then warm them all up again in big electric roaster or crock pots but DON'T let the meat go past 200F or it's dry sadness. So plan on plenty of reheat time (bring up to 195 slowly).

p.s. Vaunted vinegar is awesome and easy (Google it)

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got a shortcut you may or may not be interested in...

i moved from the traditional pulled pork to using whole pork loins for chopped pork... i buy the whole loins (bout 10-15#) from sams, or grocery stores, trim the silver skin, coat with whatever rub i want, and smoke for 3 hours on the traeger... i then foil with a temp sensor in the thickest part and turn up to 350 till i reach bout 170*... remove from grill and let rest for bout 1/2 hour, then open up and pull/chop, and add juice from the tinfoil packs back in and stir in...

this takes bout 1-2 hours after the smoking, so a total of 4-5 hours... can also cut up loins to fit the grill and make easier to handle or wrap... i like to cut into 6" pieces to get more smokey ends...

traditionalists prolly won't like this, but as a cook with limited time, i love it... little drier, but way faster, easier, and more predictable, and quicker to the table when done... i actually prefer this to pulled pork... has a little firmer bite, no waste, and i've never thrown any leftovers away...

good luck with your party!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was worried about losing weight of product through the cooking process. Butcher block also has finished pulled pork for 5$ a pound. I thought it'd be too expensive. Looks like it might be right on par.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, smoking isn't an option. I don't access to one so slow roasters were my go to.

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would compare prices on a 60 lb. case at SAM's Club, Cloverdale Wholesale in Mandan and I believe there is a Quality Meats & Seafood representative in Bismarck that has truck deliver weekly to your area. 60 lbs. of pork butt should yield you 35 to 40 lbs. of pulled pork. If you have any leftovers, pulled pork freezes and reheats excellent. Save the juices (liquid gold), chill and separate the the fat from the juices, then mix the juices back into the pulled pork.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got a shortcut you may or may not be interested in...

i moved from the traditional pulled pork to using whole pork loins for chopped pork... i buy the whole loins (bout 10-15#) from sams, or grocery stores, trim the silver skin, coat with whatever rub i want, and smoke for 3 hours on the traeger... i then foil with a temp sensor in the thickest part and turn up to 350 till i reach bout 170*... remove from grill and let rest for bout 1/2 hour, then open up and pull/chop, and add juice from the tinfoil packs back in and stir in...

this takes bout 1-2 hours after the smoking, so a total of 4-5 hours... can also cut up loins to fit the grill and make easier to handle or wrap... i like to cut into 6" pieces to get more smokey ends...

traditionalists prolly won't like this, but as a cook with limited time, i love it... little drier, but way faster, easier, and more predictable, and quicker to the table when done... i actually prefer this to pulled pork... has a little firmer bite, no waste, and i've never thrown any leftovers away...

good luck with your party!!!

We do this during hunting season too when we feed a bunch of guys . We don't even smoke them. Roaster in the oven. Pork loins are cheap and you get more bang for your buck rather than paying for all the fat on the butts. Easy to shred too. 220 degrees for 5-6 hrs.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think guy's advice is the way to go for cooking in a roaster/crock pot. If you have access to a vacuum sealer it is very easy to reheat pulled pork that has been sealed by warming up in 200 degree water. If you go that route to make some in advance just add the BBQ sauce after everything is warmed up. Apple juice in the bottom of the roaster for the moisture is probably a good bet also.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of great advice/options!

- - - Updated - - -

Man I need to smoke some butts now... Drool...

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I almost have to give this a try now. I'll check sams tomorrow. And cloverdale.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
When our niece got married I did the food, pulled pork for a crowd your size and I did 8 butts, made slaw, beans, fruit and chips and had plenty left over. Put a good rub on them and go till they hit about 195, seems to be the magic shredding temp.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I had some pulled pork or a couple ribs, sounds waaaayyy better than the pineapple and strawberries I'm looking at now.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I have a few packages of smoked pulled pork in the freezer Im going to have to get out. Pork butts are easy to smoke they just take a long time so when I do a smoke i fill up the smoker and seal the rest in about 1lb packages for later to warm up whenever I wants some.

Also if you need to you can wrap the butts in foil once they get to about 160-170ish this will help speed up the cooking process.

And after seeing some of MossyMo meals he has cooked I would say that is the guys whose brain you will want to pick for advice.:cool:

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I almost have to give this a try now. I'll check sams tomorrow. And cloverdale.

Mike...You can buy bulk bbq'd pulled pork already made at the Cloverdale store. It comes frozen and for making sandwiches it's excellent. Save yourself the work and do more of this..... :;:cheers

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
In case the pork does get on the dry side, I've used chicken stock to get the moisture back. Neutral enough in flavor as not to even notice it. A good cole slaw is a must have. I recommend Jimmy's brand dressing if you don't make your own. I usually offer a few different sauces on the side. Here's a particular favorite of mine I found on the web a few years ago. It's damn good with just enough heat that even young ones can handle it. Get's pretty spendy to make mass quantities though.

Tony Romas Blue Ridge Barbeque Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

combine all over high heat, whisk until smooth, bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 40 minutes until sauce thickens.....

makes 1 1/2 cups

TKIRK57

Founding Member
Founding Member
when done smoking or cooking use a mixer to shred works great

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110