Boat Fishing the Red near Fargo

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished out of a boat in Grand Forks and didn't have much worry about driving full throttle down the middle. But the Red is a bit less mightier near Fargo, and seems pretty low at the moment. With my wife ready to unleash kiddo No. 2 any day now, I'm relegated to fishing much, much closer to home. And given the stupidly amazing weather we're supposed to have this weekend, I figured it would be as good a time as any to fish the Red here for the first time from my finally seaworthy boat.

I plan on launching at MB Johnson Park in Moorhead and then heading north aways. Maybe to where the Buffalo dumps in. Any places I need to be extra careful around? I notice driving across the Broadway bridge near Co. 20 that there's some pretty sizable clumps of brush here and there. I'd hate to beach my boat on it's third ever trip.

Or don't I have to go that far to get into cats? Or would I be better off dropping the boat at the Covenant landing and driving south?

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you plan on heading to where the Buffalo dumps in from Johnson Park you are looking at 28-30 river miles. Last fall I put in @ Johnson park and headed south to the dam. I think the average middle of the channel depth I found was about 4 feet. It was super low last fall and not much higher now. I only went about a mile and gave up after hitting 3 deadheads and 2 mudbars. It always seems like to me the South end of town river has a deeper better channel for running. Yes, you can get into decent cats on the south end also. Running the river in Fargo is always a crap shoot on what is lurking inches under the surface. Learn to "read" the water surface for swirls and other tell tale signs of underwater carnage. I keep my motor as high up on trim as possible. Read Captain Brads reports and apply his tactics to the Red in Fargo. Good Luck.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Theres a boat launch at Hendrum we used last fall to fish where the wild rice (mn side) dumps in. It was a scary, shallow boat ride

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you plan on heading to where the Buffalo dumps in from Johnson Park you are looking at 28-30 river miles. Last fall I put in @ Johnson park and headed south to the dam. I think the average middle of the channel depth I found was about 4 feet. It was super low last fall and not much higher now. I only went about a mile and gave up after hitting 3 deadheads and 2 mudbars. It always seems like to me the South end of town river has a deeper better channel for running. Yes, you can get into decent cats on the south end also. Running the river in Fargo is always a crap shoot on what is lurking inches under the surface. Learn to "read" the water surface for swirls and other tell tale signs of underwater carnage. I keep my motor as high up on trim as possible. Read Captain Brads reports and apply his tactics to the Red in Fargo. Good Luck.

Hmmm. I was afraid of that. Well the Convent landings really isn't that far of a drive. Maybe I'll go that route. Son No. 1 has been begging to catch catfish, and since it's my birthday, I figure it'll be as good a time as ever. I just hope my anchor is heavy enough. I know we needed a pretty stout one to stay put up in GF. But with the water so low now, I suppose the current won't be quite as strong.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll be fine with any anchor over 12 pounds. Just play it smart and look for eddys and swirls on the water. Read the river to find out where the channel is going. If you go south of town there are a couple really tough spots in the first 2 miles so be careful. I would take it easy the first time down until you figure that out. If you're going for cats, you don't need to find a creek coming in. Just look for holes, snags/timber piles, and dropoffs. There are great spots north of johnson park and south of the convent, so use whatever landing you want.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I will try Johnson landing. Funny enough, my Navionics app actually has some contours for the FM area. Looks like a couple decent holes just down river.

Just need to pick up some suckers and we'll be in business. Have crawlers to keep the kid entertained.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you use crawlers you will probably catch some Suckers or Goldeye to use for cat bait.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69