Bone in Venison Chops??

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2015
Posts
10,275
Likes
4,034
Points
863
Location
Valley City
Any of you DIY deer processors out there cut the chops with the bone left in or do leg steaks from the hind quarter? If so, is there a taste difference? Watched a ytube vid of a European guy processing their deer like we do hogs, cows, and sheep leaving the bones in and using a band saw. I've always boned all the meat out, but maybe that's not the only good way to get good venison. Anyway, thanks in advance fellas.
 


svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2015
Posts
21,177
Likes
5,350
Points
1,158
Location
Here
Seems intriguing: From my reading: Venison fat goes rancid quickly: IDK if this translates to BONE. Brits don't dress pheasant until fluid drains from beaks in warm barns. The French eat cheese which literally smells of vomit/shit.

FWTW/IDK.

That is all.
 

Honkerslayr

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2016
Posts
34
Likes
29
Points
143
Going to try it this year if I'm lucky to get out at least and lucky enough to harvest a deer. What I'm doing is just taking an entire hindquarter, trimming the outside of any fat or anything else you'd not prefer to eat and laying it flat. then just start in the middle preferably(depending how many you may want because they will be quite large) and slice your desired width perdendicular or crosswise to the femur. Use a saw of any kind to get through the bone and finish cutting through the meat with your knife. They often call this the caveman steak. I'm going to just try a few because of how large they will be and it will definitely feed a few. You'll get to try the top round, eye of round, bottom round and tri-tip. I notice flavor to be generally the same as chops but tenderness a bit less than the rounds, sometimes they can be almost unnoticeable as well. All depends but you can't go wrong as long as the meat has been properly taken care of after the harvest in my opinion. Something new I came across anyhow, seems easy and fun, especially if a person enjoys a great deer steak.

https://realtree.com/timber-2-table...lBPMHU2rEwk5ngxMNRrpwGoMyi-do55HqCAcELi0_9z14

I'm definitely going to cut it when partially frozen as well, probably easier to get a better cut and vac seal right afterwards.
 
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

  • This month: 81
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18
Top Bottom