Buck of a lifetime in ND!

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know there are areas of the state where land is darn near impossible to get on for hunting unless you pay BUT we have met several landowners who welcome us there and look forward to us coming over to hunt.

A few years ago, I had permission to hunt some stuff and gave them a gift card to a restaurant at Christmas time (they did feed me a couple of times during the hunting season) and was told that it wasn't necessary and I didn't need to do that again.

So yeah, there are still some awfully nice landowners/renters out there.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know there are areas of the state where land is darn near impossible to get on for hunting unless you pay BUT we have met several landowners who welcome us there and look forward to us coming over to hunt.

A few years ago, I had permission to hunt some stuff and gave them a gift card to a restaurant at Christmas time (they did feed me a couple of times during the hunting season) and was told that it wasn't necessary and I didn't need to do that again.

So yeah, there are still some awfully nice landowners/renters out there.

I completely agree....We still are the best state for hunter hospitality! I personally havent been chewed out in a long long time or been disrespected while asking permission. I have to question the people who say that it happens all the time...I must be doing things differently? Ironically, I think the last guy who was rude was a guide from a lodge, ha.

Mac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been hunting on a particular peice for almost 16 yrs now, have 2 tree stands in there, the farmers yard is 80 yrds from the 1 st stand, he is a very nice guy, but the last couple of yrs he has let a few guys in and the 1 st guy decided hey here's a stand I am gonna use it, then he moves it closer to the farmers house, so I talked with the landowner and he ejected the guy, the 2 nd guy well let just say I went to the stand in the morning only find out I no longer have a stand, and a ground blind was set up there, so again I talked with the landowner, the landowner calls him, his reply I didn't take any stand but yeah that's my ground blind, so he told me I could have his pile of crap ground blind! So I lit it on fire in the landowners fire pit and sent a pic of it to him! The 3 rd guy, sets up and puts his stand in the same tree as my new stand!
So needless to say hunting with others isn't working out!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a run in a time or maybe 2 in my 25+ years of chasing game.
I currently hunt land with the land owners, they know all the farmers around them, so we usually get on that land too if needed. So I haven't had to really knock on any doors for a few years.
I think some of you guys might be exaggerating a bit, as the likely hood that the guy is a jerk is way lower than him not being one. When a guy tells you that you cant hunt his land, that alone is not being a jerk. We all have the right to say no. If I owned land and personally hunted it, or had friends and family hunting it, I would be saying no a lot too, that sure does not make me a jerk land owner though. If I was to tell you to eff off and get the hell off my land, and stuff of that sort, well yea that would make me a jerk.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once had a farmer chew my ass because I was trespassing. Hes yelling and screaming asking if I can't read and that he was calling game and fish. Mind you this act of trespassing I did was drive down his driveway to ask permission for antelope hunting which was set to open two weeks later. Needless to say I told him exactly where he could go and then preceded to slowly drive up and down every single legal Prairie trail and road that was around his farm for two days just to drive him batshit crazy! Really pissed him off when I started shooting grouse on the grasslands just a few yards over his fence.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14