What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
Build a root cellar?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Davy Crockett" data-source="post: 288078" data-attributes="member: 367"><p>We have a fieldstone basement under the old house I grew up in, I'm guessing it's about 20x 20 with an outside covered chute and stairs steps in the house. It's the only thing that has kept me from tearing the old house down, I want to preserve that basement some how. All I know about it is that it was built before 1910 and it is still in very good condition and has never been repaired to my knowledge. One corner has a small "fruit room" is what we called it where all the canned goods and root vegetables and homemade wine was stored. I have two theories why ours was called the fruit room , One is because they bought fruit by the case and canned back then or it could have been because of the wine that was being made in there. </p><p> On the western edge of the Turtle mountains is an incredible old small underground stone cave with an arched ceiling, Makes a person wonder how they were actually built, the construction is designed so the weight of the rocks interlock are loadbearing without any bonding agent. If I remember right it is holding up couple feet of dirt and not a distinct mound over the top, Like you could walk past it and never notice it. No idea how old that one is but it's ancient and close to where the mooring rocks are, I have pictures of that cave somewhere. Fieldstone looks easy enough to do if you have a strong back and time.</p><p></p><p><span style="color: silver"><span style="font-size: 9px">- - - Updated - - -</span></span></p><p></p><p>I don't know if it's my imagination but to me the fruit room still has this odd sweet smell to it after all these years.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Davy Crockett, post: 288078, member: 367"] We have a fieldstone basement under the old house I grew up in, I'm guessing it's about 20x 20 with an outside covered chute and stairs steps in the house. It's the only thing that has kept me from tearing the old house down, I want to preserve that basement some how. All I know about it is that it was built before 1910 and it is still in very good condition and has never been repaired to my knowledge. One corner has a small "fruit room" is what we called it where all the canned goods and root vegetables and homemade wine was stored. I have two theories why ours was called the fruit room , One is because they bought fruit by the case and canned back then or it could have been because of the wine that was being made in there. On the western edge of the Turtle mountains is an incredible old small underground stone cave with an arched ceiling, Makes a person wonder how they were actually built, the construction is designed so the weight of the rocks interlock are loadbearing without any bonding agent. If I remember right it is holding up couple feet of dirt and not a distinct mound over the top, Like you could walk past it and never notice it. No idea how old that one is but it's ancient and close to where the mooring rocks are, I have pictures of that cave somewhere. Fieldstone looks easy enough to do if you have a strong back and time. [COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR] I don't know if it's my imagination but to me the fruit room still has this odd sweet smell to it after all these years. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Bone in Venison Chops??
Latest: Honkerslayr
Today at 1:07 AM
L
NDSU to the FBS???
Latest: LBrandt
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Pheasant opener # 57
Latest: Kurtr
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
IDK: Serene/Creek Trout YT
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 8:47 PM
Are the Brits are friends?
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 8:11 PM
Generation X
Latest: lunkerslayer
Yesterday at 8:06 PM
Teachers
Latest: wslayer
Yesterday at 6:25 PM
M9 Moose
Latest: wslayer
Yesterday at 5:16 PM
C
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: camper
Yesterday at 4:48 PM
What happened to DB-2
Latest: Jiffy
Yesterday at 1:23 PM
M
M11 cow moose
Latest: Mhall92
Yesterday at 12:49 PM
ND suppressor laws update?
Latest: Kurtr
Yesterday at 12:38 PM
I HATE coyotes!!!!
Latest: Rowdie
Yesterday at 11:24 AM
M
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: measure-it
Yesterday at 10:49 AM
R
migration 26
Latest: riverview
Yesterday at 9:29 AM
This is very sad and wrong
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 7:00 AM
Braid To Braid
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 4:24 AM
Henry Garden Gun YT
Latest: svnmag
Friday at 7:46 PM
Interesting Look!!!!!
Latest: risingsun
Friday at 6:10 PM
Boys had a heck of a weekend
Latest: Yoby
Friday at 11:24 AM
Pronghorn
Latest: PAIN
Friday at 11:19 AM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
Build a root cellar?
Top
Bottom