Camping food

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
We’re planning some quick grub ideas for our primitive camping trip. We’ll have a gas burner but looking for options to make up ahead of time to keep dishes to a minimum. It doesn’t hurt to get some ideas to maybe throw something new in the mix!

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fajitas. Slice up all veggies in advance. Throw on a tort. With some uncle bens ready rice.

Stir fry with uncle bens ready rice. Again, cut veg in advance.

Breakfast burritos.

Dont over complicate it. Cook like you would at home.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_8005.jpeg

SurvivalAmazon88

Established Member
We’re planning some quick grub ideas for our primitive camping trip. We’ll have a gas burner but looking for options to make up ahead of time to keep dishes to a minimum. It doesn’t hurt to get some ideas to maybe throw something new in the mix!
What I like to do is a lot of prep! Mix up some eggs and keep them for camping in a big plastic bottle. Chop up peppers, onions and a protein like steak, chicken or shrimp and marinate it all together in a big ziplock bag for easy packing. Tin foil foods over a fire grate is great too like cobbed corn, fish with lemons and herbs, potatoes ect. Kebabs are easy camping foods as well. I like cherry tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and chunks of ribeye on them. You could also so some yummy philly cheesteak rolls in tinfoil as well you just cook up the ingredients at home and stuff the rolls and top with cheese before putting them on the fire.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bring along lump charcoal, a tarp, and buy some DRY firewood in case you forget your table top propane grill.. ask me how i know. hahaha I forgot our table top grill a week or so ago when the wife and i went camping up at Icelandic State Park near Cavalier, ND....AWESOME PLACE by the way!!!!!!!!! I highly recommend the park if you are into Pembina Gorge Trail riding, canoeing, golfing..or all..like we did. While we stayed at a cabin...dumb ass me forgot the table top so had to rely on the fire grate for heating our food...normally not a problem yet when it was raining and hailing buckets for about an hour the tarp came in handy.😉 Thankfully our cabin had a covered porch with a picnic table under it so we could wait it out. That lump charcoal..along with firesticks worked wonders starting a fire after the storm subsided. The wife prepped the pasta and potato salad before hand in gallon bags so that was never an issue. I did burgers/brats the one nite on the grill and boneless chops another nite. Breakfast was never a prob as we just had yogurt and granola so no need to start a fire. The end.

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just spent 8 days at Grahams Island. Took twice/three times as much food as we needed/used. If you are going to fish early and the wife is going to sleep in you need a lot less breakfast stuff than you think you need. Fishing was on fire up there by the way.

Big C

When you say "primitive" do you mean in a tent next to the vehicle with a cooler full of ice and food or are you talking packing in some distance? Lots of options either way, but I chose my food differently depending on the situation. Bit more info would be helpful. Enjoy the trip!

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you say "primitive" do you mean in a tent next to the vehicle with a cooler full of ice and food or are you talking packing in some distance? Lots of options either way, but I chose my food differently depending on the situation. Bit more info would be helpful. Enjoy the trip!
In a tent next to the vehicle. Good call! There are different levels of primitive! 😂

mikef

★★★★ Legendary Member
I have precooked spaghetti, lasagna, taco meat but I also have younger kids

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pre-made breakfast burritos wrapped in tinfoil make breakfast super easy. Start the grill, throw them on low and get to making coffee. Nothing better than sitting around camp on a cool morning eating a steamy breakfast burrito and drinking coffee. No cleanup either.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Precook meals - vacuum seal ( food saver ) - food fits easily in cooler - drop sealed bag of pre-cooked meals in boiling water ( water can be right out of river ) - open bag and enjoy - Dump water, no kettle to wash and very little garbage to take away.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you precook in vacuum bags, ponder whether the meal is freezer worthy first. some foods don't reheat well after being frozen. we've done it a few times over the years and it definitely makes life way easier. couple of reasons we like/prefer to freeze them. 1. it helps with the ice situation. 2. it makes sealing of meals that contain any liquid at all a lot easier. fill bag 2/3 - 3/4 full, set in freezer, let freeze and then seal them up. like mentioned above. almost no mess or garbage. paper plates, plastic utensils and the bag all burn up just fine in the fire pit.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oscar Meyer is your friend.

We used to pack steaks and higher end stuff, seemed the easy stuff always went first, after being in the sun and boat all day, motivation to make a bigger meal looses its zest.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Primitive camping you say?

Spent many years traveling via canoe here in n.e. Minnesota, Gods country,few ppl,sometimes none..

No glass,no cans, no plastic allowed,#3 duluth back pack for our grub,and utensils,one small fry pan ,fish seasoning to everyone 's liking,lemon pepper was always good,couple packets of dry tang,most if not all lakes in this wilderness area fresh water full of giradia micro organism,boil our water,two seperate containers, tang in one,drinking water in the other.

Good supply of raman noodles,dry trailmix and fingers crossed everyday for a fish fry,we snuck in a small container of peanut oil for fish fry's,hit multiple camp sites often or in known good fishing waters setup a base camp most lakes we encountered unknown fish species,no live bait,most lakes had bass sm_large mouth,pike,walleye and clear deep lakes,"lake trout ", great fun once you settle in on primitive mode,dry eggs and some camp sites,usually islands had crusty red crayfish we added to our eggs,( mini lobster tails) as bear country ,for bear deterant a packet of blackcat bottle rockets came in handy many times.great memories on this thread.thanx.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good ideas here. In addition… I love simplicity which can be hard with some partners. Life straw filter saves weight on packing H2O. Freeze dried fruit. Honey stinger bars. Peanut butter and jelly tortillas pack well and get better with age. Spam on a camp stove somehow tastes better (ok) than made at home. Fresh fish can’t be beat, but be bear aware if you’re in that country. Most importantly, French press coffee on a jet boil.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 60
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 18