DIY Jig Painting.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been asked about painting jigs so I thought I'd put together how I color mine as my daughter (the hand model) and I have been having a BLAST painting jigs the last few days......

Here are the pieces and parts I use. I use a chip bag clip to hold the jig as using a pliers tends to have jigs fall off if you release pressure. The clip keeps constant pressure on the jig so I can control it. The candle is for heat and the rest is self explanatory.

DSC03209.jpg

Step one: Heat the jig head until it's hot enough to melt the powder paint. For an 1/8th oz jig it's about a 5 count on each side.

DSC03213.jpg

Once the jig is hot, dip it quickly into the powder paint and shake off the excess. In this case the paint is "Candy Blue"

DSC03219.jpg

Make sure there aren't any unmelted paint lumps in the coating or you will end up with some funny shaped jig heads. The end result should be a smooth surface that has a glossy shine to it. It helps to keep the jig oriented like the pic until the paint cools as if you hang a jig before the paint has set you will end up with a "Nipple Jig" or the "Reservior Tip" as some have called it.

DSC03230.jpg

Once the paint sets, I just hang them up to finish cooling on a cookie rack.

DSC03239.jpg

And the finished product line........

DSC03244.jpg

A few tips that I have discovered:

If you remove a jig from the powder and the paint doesn't melt giving the jig a "fuzzy" appearance, you need to heat up the jig a bit more.

If newly painted jigs come into contact with other jigs, the paint can make the two stick together, which can make for some interesting color jobs.

The bigger the jig, the longer you will need to keep it over the heat source and vice versa. IT IS POSSIBLE to melt the lead off a jig with just a candle. Don't ask me how I know.

I don't bake my jigs as I usually loose the jig or have to retie a dull hooked jig before the paint chips off. I have baked them and it didn't seem to significantly increase the durability with the exception that the hook eye is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to clean out if they have been baked in comparison to the unbaked jigs.

Coloring you own jigs is VERY easy and as you can see, it doesn't take much equipment to accomplish. Enjoy!!!

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last fall I figured out an even easier way to heat up the jigs. I use a 1000 degree heat gun from Menards $22.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Using that would guarantee I get a 1000 degree burn somewhere on my person. I prefer a single candle power. It's safer for a klutz like me. (Grin)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I pour my own and don't count my time, about 5 cents each. 4 cents for the hook, less than a penny for the lead, about the same for the paint give'er take a fraction of a penny.

I forgot to add that this is for a 1/8th oz jig.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't repaint as making a new one is so easy. You probably could, but I've not tried it to verify so take that with a grain of salt. I do recycle the jigs I find or get too beat up. It's not a money maker, but I feel better when I can reuse the lead.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88