Do it yourself rubber net coating

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd have to think it's worth a shot.

What have you got to lose? At least the permatex and silicones won't get sticky to the boat once they are cured.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to think having stuff that was rubber coated didn't madder. 2 kids later and multiple cranks stuck in nets I'm a firm believer now

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a small net I used the bed liner on. worked well until I tore the crap out of it loading the kayak on the truck. Picked up new netting at Mill's Fleet and Farm. Has a coating on it but not as good as what is on my larger net.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I did half of it with black permatex and the other half 100% silicone. The black permatex looks really nice but I think the silicone is gonna work better. I will update when it's dry.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried spraying my woven net with plasti dip to give it a rubber coating. It didn't really work it just kinda stiffed it up. Hooks still get caught just maybe not as bad all the time but when they do, I cut it

- - - Updated - - -

Are you just talking about permatrex rtv adhesive sealant silicone? I might have to try that.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
After the thing has dried completely the black permatex looks spot on. The silicone looks like it will work but I think I would suggest the black permatex as a first choice. I think the average walleye net would take roughly 3 tubes off the stuff to do the entire job.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1412.jpg

Black permatex

IMG_1413.jpg

Clear silicone

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1414.jpg

This is what it looked like before I did it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, the permatex looks great!

There's spray permatex out there as well, I wonder how it would work on something like this?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, the permatex looks great!

There's spray permatex out there as well, I wonder how it would work on something like this?

I think the key to "the real stuff" that net companies use is that the polymer penetrates the cords and makes them less penetrable - and even if penetrated the polymer in the cord's interior also prevents individual fibers/threads from getting hung up on barbs. That's why I think a self-leveling version would probably perform well - because they simply have more 'solvent content' so that they flow/penetrate to some degree.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14