Dog tail - to bob or not to bob

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a related note, your dog should keep their dew claws.
[/QUO

I 100% AGREE WITH LEAVING DEW CLAWS ON. Only problem is you don't get to pick the pup out, I have left dews on dogs and never had a problem with dew claw injuries. I have a dog that the dews were removed and she gets raw after a few days of hunting,

- - - Updated - - -

My wife has a rott that she left the tail on, it has a very nice curving tail. You can tell what the dog is thinking, I wouldn't want one without a tail now.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This looks strange to me but I would probably get used to it:
th

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are medical reasons to dock tails, too. Labs and golden retrievers can get a pretty debilitating injury known as limber tail. It's basically a very painful strain/sprain that long-tailed dogs can get from over training or over exercising, especially from swimming. Limber tail is so painful a pup can't even sit without yelping. From what I understand, docked-tail dogs are much less prone to it.

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a English pointer, and he would get a limp tail. Usually from running hard or whacking it on something. It would stick out 4 inches and then point straight to the ground. It would be tender for a few days and then it would slowly rise to it's normal state.

When he would play with his brother, seems like they would both get it. So we would have 2 English pointers walking around with what looked like limp dicks.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard of horrible and expensive accidents involving dew claws (being torn right off on slippery decks when the dog skids across, etc.)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for length of this video - but it's the only live-action footage I have of Royce in the field (sorta... galwhofishes took him for a walk shortly after actual hunting)

- - - Updated - - -

the slo-mo allows the viewer to fully appreciate the glory of half-tails

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This looks strange to me but I would probably get used to it:
th

This picture could almost be my dog. He is skinnier in the rear hips, and a slight bit of white ticking through the chest area. Same stubby tail

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5