Dove Shooting

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually run the cheapest I can find for doves because yeah I miss allot but using the high velocity ammo was double the price but my average jumped way up not many misses now finding the little suckers after the fall is a different story and if the dog doesn't see it fall they have trouble finding them I wonder if the smell is different or just weak cause they could be standing on it and not notice lol but they find every other game bird curious how other breeds react to doves
They have to sit and mark them good but we didnt loose a dove the night mine picked up 75. Being we have been running alot of long marks in training he had to check up a few times but he always made it back to the area of the fall. We ran a fair amount of blinds also.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have to sit and mark them good but we didnt loose a dove the night mine picked up 75. Being we have been running alot of long marks in training he had to check up a few times but he always made it back to the area of the fall. We ran a fair amount of blinds also.
That's awesome I shot 15 couldn't find 4. spent hrs looking I blame thick grass around the dam but my dogs just don't seem to care about doves they sniffed out dead partridge in the same area no prob never lost one or grouse in thick brush found them all just not doves

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's awesome I shot 15 couldn't find 4. spent hrs looking I blame thick grass around the dam but my dogs just don't seem to care about doves they sniffed out dead partridge in the same area no prob never lost one or grouse in thick brush found them all just not doves
Ya dove hunting he is in the zone usually he wants all the loving from everyone he can get but he was by my side and wanted nothing to do with any one and focus on this little things. Last year he struggled more with them I think it’s experience also after picking up a few hundred he really knows what to look for. They don’t have a lot of scent and it’s hot and dry so makes it really important for them to see go down. People think it’s good first hunt for dogs but probably one of the worst as far as the dog building confidence in it’s self.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx for the info,1500fps lead is a hot load 1 1/8oz

I shoot winchester super sport 1oz loads for sporting clays 1350 fps so these dove loads are impressive, hot recipe

Been years since i bbq'd doves,mind sharing your dove recipe? Do you guyz skin the birds?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cut breast of wrap in cheap bacon grill at 400 hit them with the bbq sauce after you flip them once and are about perfect medium rare when sauce gets sticky

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I breast them pound them put jalapeno and cream cheese roll up season wrap with bacon grill until done ....dove poppers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84