EHD again???

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since EHD tends to make the deer thirsty, can't say I'm surprised that there weren't too many dead deer found near the salt blocks. Last thing most of us want when thirsty is a salt block.
They put the salt blocks right at the water. The pond on the same property 2 miles away a lot of dead deer . The deer in this area only a few . Multiple game cameras and people watching. Did it really make a difference tough to tell on such a small sample but if it works you would think gfp would be open to trying the garlic salt licks

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
They put the salt blocks right at the water. The pond on the same property 2 miles away a lot of dead deer . The deer in this area only a few . Multiple game cameras and people watching. Did it really make a difference tough to tell on such a small sample but if it works you would think gfp would be open to trying the garlic salt licks
I'm going to give it a try next time there's a dry summer.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea but….theyve already decided there’s nothing that can be done about it. Ya know science. Probably best if us degenerate hillbillies just listen to them and stop trying to find a logical solution to an actual problem. We need to shift our focus to the real threat here and thats cwd. Because it’s killed roughly 0 deer last year and the year before that the tally was slightly above 0 and just below 1……. So we can see it’s beginning to be an epidemic……

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, what do you think they should do about it? EHD that is.

From my understanding it’s something that’s been around forever, ranchers in Grant County that I personally know have been seeing dead deer from EHD for decades when it gets dry.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am glad for this in my unit, as my son, wife and self all pulled any antlered tags, and so did the crew I hunt with, which is around 18 of us.
I can give back my tag, and mrs johnrs tag, keep our points, and let the boy blast whatever deer might be left in the area.

Was actually excited to read this way out for us.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, what do you think they should do about it? EHD that is.

From my understanding it’s something that’s been around forever, ranchers in Grant County that I personally know have been seeing dead deer from EHD for decades when it gets dry.
I think there is something to the salt licks with garlic as a natural way to help repel the midgets ( I know) . The bad part is if you have them out here no hunting any where near where they are put out as they will get you for baiting, It works for keeping the bugs off cows that’s how the guys I know that did it came up with the idea. The years we had really bad die offs it seemed they found less dead deer where they had the licks out for the cows. Even if it only reduces the kill rate by 10% that number adds up over a big area.

BrockW

Established Member
I think there is something to the salt licks with garlic as a natural way to help repel the midgets ( I know) . The bad part is if you have them out here no hunting any where near where they are put out as they will get you for baiting, It works for keeping the bugs off cows that’s how the guys I know that did it came up with the idea. The years we had really bad die offs it seemed they found less dead deer where they had the licks out for the cows. Even if it only reduces the kill rate by 10% that number adds up over a big area.
I think expecting any measurable benefit would be a stretch. Garlic isn’t reducing the number of midges in the system or changing the environmental conditions for midges to reproduce (which is the single biggest factor in large outbreaks). It’s also far from 100% effective in deterring flies(and likely midges) from landing on and biting these animals. Which is exactly what would be required to prevent an animal from getting HD. Preventing even a single midge from biting that animal.

There’s a little research on garlic supplementation and cattle/fly occurrence out there. None of that work shows garlic will stop flies from landing on or biting cattle. Some instances where there’s a reduction in the number of flies landing on cattle, but in most instances it had no effect.

But have it…

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think expecting any measurable benefit would be a stretch. Garlic isn’t reducing the number of midges in the system or changing the environmental conditions for midges to reproduce (which is the single biggest factor in large outbreaks). It’s also far from 100% effective in deterring flies(and likely midges) from landing on and biting these animals. Which is exactly what would be required to prevent an animal from getting HD. Preventing even a single midge from biting that animal.

There’s a little research on garlic supplementation and cattle/fly occurrence out there. None of that work shows garlic will stop flies from landing on or biting cattle. Some instances where there’s a reduction in the number of flies landing on cattle, but in most instances it had no effect.

But have it…
We will proof is in the results on the ground .

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member

But have it…
Yep fuck it…. Dismiss ideas….. this is why people like me loathe people like you and the rest of your type….. youd rather throw money(launder) at issues with zero credibility and are created by government than take even a minute to hear what people have to say. I’ll take 20 hillbillies throwing around ideas and things they’ve “noticed” over a bunch of “educated” know it all assholes such as yourself.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If the garlic salt blocks worked every ranch would be using them. Feed lots for sure. You think about how many time a cow or steer or bull whips it's tail to get the flies off them. That's weight not being put on the animals. Why do you think they gain more weight in the winter than summer.

I'm sure someone is fact checking me right now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 412
  • This month: 188
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 66