Elk Deterrent?

Uncle Rico

Has anyone had luck with deterring elk from overwhelming food plots intended for deer? We seem to have about 10 elk that are just overwhelming the ability of our plots to grow. Just wondering if anyone has had decent results with any methods.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I heard taking a dump out there works its like marking your hole from the ice pirates
I did that once, The trick is to throw enough snow on it so they cant see it. And then on the way home a coworker calls and say the guy stepped in it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
An Elk is just a large size of the deer family so what deters one also works on the other, Plant bigger food plots and then they are all happy and your pockets are empty. Its a win win loss. LB

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try a sweated up shirt. I use one to decrease the fear of the deer at my place, but initially they think I'm hanging around, so it takes a few days for them to acclimate to my presence.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I lived in Montana we use to buy some kind of stuff in 2.5 gallon jug dont remember the name

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a 3-D fence around the garden and was surprised that it's working, so far anyway. a few studies reported that it works for deer and elk . So far it's kept the deer out without an electric fencer but will come up with a fencer soon and get it hooked up. This was an article I just ran across for reference but if you google university study on 3-D wildlife fencing there are a few links . The deer are extra hungry this year I do like LB and plant a big garden knowing the deer will get some but they cleaned a good portion of it out already this year. They say smear a little peanut butter on the wire so the deer sniff / lick it and get a good zap.

https://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/livestock/3d-fencing-keeps-wildlife-at-bay/

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I put a 3-D fence around the garden and was surprised that it's working, so far anyway. a few studies reported that it works for deer and elk . So far it's kept the deer out without an electric fencer but will come up with a fencer soon and get it hooked up. This was an article I just ran across for reference but if you google university study on 3-D wildlife fencing there are a few links . The deer are extra hungry this year I do like LB and plant a big garden knowing the deer will get some but they cleaned a good portion of it out already this year. They say smear a little peanut butter on the wire so the deer sniff / lick it and get a good zap.

https://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/livestock/3d-fencing-keeps-wildlife-at-bay/
I used to train young calves by hanging aluminum can on the fence wire, a wet nose makes for a good grounding point. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was just a little guy our playful pup had a habit of scratching on the aluminum screen door until Dad hooked the electric fencer up to it . A couple scratches and yelps later I was crying and Dad was laughing and Pal was broken of that habit. Then he got run over by the grain truck.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84