Elk Massacres

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't imagine seeing the carnage of either of these accidents....

When I lived in Flagstaff I would occasionally run across an elk on I-17 that felt the need to straddle the white line facing into traffic. Me doing 75 MPH in a Mazda MX-6 would've been decapitated had they decided to take 3 steps forward. Kept me on edge every time I drove the gauntlet....

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/semi-truck-crash-kills-17-elk-idaho/

https://www.valleynewslive.com/2023/03/11/shocked-devastated-freight-train-kills-entire-herd-elk/

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bummer man bet these incidents happened are notorious for accidents in the past. Animals will travel the same routes because they are creatures of habit, I remember reading an article in the grand forks herald i few years back when we had an extremely wet fall and the red river had flooded over its banks. There was a Minnesota hunter who had a trail cam that was on a deer trail next to the river and the trail cam took pictures of deer swimming through water on that deer trail.
Maybe the State department of natural resources will work with the rail road and highway departments to build a wildlife crossing for these animals that seem to be becoming more and more common in areas of high animal crossing.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is one used here in North Dakota out west on one of the highways maybe one of the nda members can chime in to its success.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
there is one on HWY 85, south of Watford City. I believe I have read that with the user trail cameras they have pictures of wildlife using it. I think it was primarily built to benefit bighorns abut other animals use it as well..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28