Euthanize a pet...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, putting down a pet sucks, one of the hardest things in life. Im just giving people some information in case they want more options... From a science perspective I found the nitrogen method interesting also.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
the nitrogen gas thing does seem like it would be humane. no different than going to sleep via the gas mask at the doctors officer and just never waking up. there ain't no pain in that other than wondering how much advantage they may have taken of you whilst you were asleep.

i surmise i couldn't put a dog down with a gun. i've heard one too many horror stories about that. besides, it seems a tad messy. i refuse to just drop a pet off at the vet though. if i can't be in the room, i will go elsewhere. both of the relatively local vets allow you to be in the room with them these days and its been relatively peaceful the 4 times i've done it. other than the obvious, i've never left with a bad taste in my mouth. albeit, all of my pets (with the exception of that one fucking cat) have all been relatively comfortable going to the vet.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never put a pet down personally, however a few times when butchering hogs, it has taken more than one kill shot, and it is quite gruesome, cant imagine that being my dog running with blood flowing out of his nose squealing.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The vet uses a super large dose of Barbiturates and they are gone in seconds I have done over 10 dogs and cats in my lifetime so far. Cant do shotgun tried I have huge Cemetry for mine and alot others.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The vet, and the shot, you stay with them and talk and comfort them while they go to sleep. Its hard but if you love them. And I got all those little boxes of dust that gets mixed with mine and then gets put in the happy place with only gps # cause who cares 50 years from now. LB
I thought I could do that a while back. I had to leave and cry all the way home.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had never put a dog down until last year. During the time I had him, I often wondered what it would be like when his last days would come, and how I would handle the process. The dog was with me almost everyday ( including at work) for 14 years. The last year he had been declining in health and the last weeks the quality of life was near zero. When I saw him suffering it helped me accept the reality of doing what i never thought I could. We made an appointment with the vet and was with him at the end. Saying goodbye hurt, but the memories we had together far outweigh the sorrow.
RIP Prince

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I took my dog easton to the vet last year, they gave him 2 shots, one put him to sleep and the 2nd killed him, stopped his heart or something... The second one made him spasm a little and it was kind of hard to watch him twitching etc, even tho he was unconsious.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Please make the hurt go away master. LB
When we put our last lab down we had the vet come to the house. It broke my heart to see our pup look up at me trying to console ME as she was taking her last breaths . . .

It still brings tears to my eyes thinking about it . . .

When they say a dog is man's best friend .... they sure got that right.

I miss her. What an understatement . . .

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Our last dog had the grace to die on his own. I knew it was time, and assumed before the week was out, I would have to make the call. Nearing that point again, but it's hard for me to decide "you'd be way happier dead."

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trust me PD, you will know if/when you have to make the call.

I cried all the way to the vet's office when I had to put my first GSP down and then the next 135 miles to where I buried him. He went down-hill quickly after getting diagnosed with lymphoma. Vet said he would probably make it 6 months, he didn't make it 6 weeks before I was having to carry him outside and stand him up to take a leak. Terrible deal...

Do I miss all the dogs I've parted ways with in my life? Damn skippy. However, I can't imagine life without a companion canine and don't quite understand those who refuse to get another after a dog dies because of the pain involved in their death. 10-13 years of good times outweighs the bad times of putting them down.

Conversations like this bring back a flood of good memories of pets that are no longer with me.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It makes me tear up every time this topic comes up. Putting our black lab to rest was the very hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I know it was the right thing to do when we decided. Our other (gracie) passed Peacefully in the night, my wife laying by her side.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab freaks out when she goes to the vet, has to get muzzle put on every time. Hopefully be a few years until I have to make a decision on how the end will come because unless her attitude for the vets office changes, I don't think I'll take her there to freak out one last time...
The nitrogen thing sounds interesting, would never get lucky enough to have her ticker stop whilst chasing a rooster

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had vet in two difference scenarios.

My best and loyal dog had been put down at the vet, but I couldn't manage being there and watching. It was already painful to make the call and drive there knowing what was coming. Just typing this brings the tears to my eyes. :cry:

Other scenario was my 1yr pup getting hit by a neighbor as he crossed the rural development road. Truck was hidden from my purview and the truck was hidden from the pup until crossing the road. I swept in to pick him up and put him in my truck. Called the vet on the way only to find out a couple of hours later he wasn't going to make it unless the vet herself would've driven him Bis > Fargo, and then still couldn't say whether the trip and suffering was going to make the 200mi jaunt. I had him put down to end that suffering. It was brutal seeing my guy in pain and watching the injection take effect. I did nothing buy apologize dozens of times and soothing his pain with my hand. Wouldn't be able to take another iteration of that occurrence ever again.

I'm too connected to my dogs to take either route again. I think I'd prefer a friend taking it out in the field and doing it for me. I'd have the hole dug in the backyard and we'd cover it intently fast to end my pain.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84