Euthanize a pet...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
"The method of nitrogen foam uses a barrel, filled up with a layer of high expansion foam (big bubbles) completely filled with pure nitrogen. The animal will be placed into the foam and covered with a layer of foam of at least 60 centimetres. The animal will breathe 98 per cent nitrogen. Blood oxygen diminishes very quickly and the animal will very soon become unconscious. Because of the extreme oxygen deficiency (anoxia) the animal dies within 1.5-2 minutes. The animal will not regain consciousness and won’t notice that it dies. The animal will be unaware that it breathes in pure nitrogen. It will not be harmful or painful for the animal because the normal air an animal breathes consists already of 80 per cent nitrogen. Inhalation of nitrogen is therefore not stressful, whereas for example with high concentrations of carbon dioxide the animal will try not to breathe."

FYI this can be done easily without foam inside a pet carrier placed into a plastic bag. Cheaper and more humane than a vet probably...

Other suggestions and / or discussion welcome.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...outed-as-more-humane-but-evidence-is-lacking/

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think suffocation is as humane as one might think. When you run low on oxygen, nothing else seems to matter.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think suffocation is as humane as one might think. When you run low on oxygen, nothing else seems to matter.
You have to read about it, your body doesnt monitor the o2 levels in your blood, it only monitors the co2 levels, so you wouldnt realize you are low on oxygen. Might get a little lightheaded right before passing out, but you wouldnt have that "i need to breathe" reflex that people think would happen.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did, sounds like a barrel, put in a layer of nitrogen foam, put pet in, cover with foam. Seems like a pet might freak out in that scenario. Granted only for a short time as the nitrogen does its thing.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did, sounds like a barrel, put in a layer of nitrogen foam, put pet in, cover with foam. Seems like a pet might freak out in that scenario. Granted only for a short time as the nitrogen does its thing.
that part was pulled from another source, that is why it is in quotes. This is what I added...

"FYI this can be done easily without foam inside a pet carrier placed into a plastic bag. Cheaper and more humane than a vet probably..."

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll just take'em for one last hunt and then turn the lights off. Instantly. No anxiety or nervousness from the vets office and no leaving them alone with strangers while they wonder what's going on and why I left them. I loved'em though their lives and I love them enough to end it when it's time. Not for everyone I know, but that's just how I see it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll just take'em for one last hunt and then turn the lights off. Instantly. No anxiety or nervousness from the vets office and no leaving them alone with strangers while they wonder what's going on and why I left them. I loved'em though their lives and I love them enough to end it when it's time. Not for everyone I know, but that's just how I see it.
another tried and true method...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here ,

Yup , It's never easy but it helps knowing they didn't feel an ounce of fear or pain , It was just over in a split second and always during a happy moment for them. 12 guage to the back of the head is as instant as it gets.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did it for friends a time or two when I was in college. It was harder than I thought.

No way I could do it today.

And no way I could hold it all together for Royce. Yeesh.

YCbtx

Agreed no good way to do it. Used to be a vet in my hometown that made house-calls(thing of the past). When it was time to put my last hunting dog down, it was done with her in my lap in her favorite chair...dosed with a heavy sedative to put her to sleep...next dose of meds stopped her heart. Absolutely miserable experience but helped knowing she was in her comfortable spot when it happened.....puke...better things to think about today.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The vet, and the shot, you stay with them and talk and comfort them while they go to sleep. Its hard but if you love them. And I got all those little boxes of dust that gets mixed with mine and then gets put in the happy place with only gps # cause who cares 50 years from now. LB

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The end game for our besties is one of our life's hardest times...my boyz were with me 24/7,always riding shotgun in my truck,my last boi died in my arms during a seizure, f ing lyme disease initiated seizures,,,still grieving iffin i reflect on our time together which is never long enough.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's unfortunately the cycle of life. Everyone needs to go through it in my eyes, especially kids. It teaches you the grieving process, which is something no one ever wants to experience and no one can really explain on how to deal/handle it.

I was talking to our vet awhile back, asking him about the process of putting a dog down at the clinic and the drugs that they use. His exact words were "a bullet is faster and more humane. It's instant and there is no struggle."

We've always put our own dogs down. It never gets easier. But when my 4 legged companion is suffering and their at the end, it's unfortunately something that has to be done.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88