Fishing Rod Comparison

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new legend elites have torzite guides. I'm starting to like that rod better than my extreme. Both medium fast seven footers. Wow, is that thing light and responsive

+1
The Torzite Guides put the elites a bit higher on my list than the extremes. I don't believe the Torzite was available, or was too new, when they redesigned the Extremes. The Elites have only been available for the last year. I love my Elite, its built on probably one of the best available blanks and utilizes the latest and greatest Fuji guides. Hard to beat that combo.

I have thought about building a custom stick with the same blank and guides but switch out the handle. Its not that I dislike the handle on the factory rod, its just I have some ideas I would like to try in a custom made handle.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
you have my attention

There is some marketing stuff and other information out there. But the short of it is the Torzite ring is mounted on a titanium frame (same Fugi K-series as found on the SC Extremes). The Torzite material is stronger than the SiC.

The benefit is found since the Torzite is stronger, they can get away with a thinner wall ring which opens up the ID. This allows a user to actually go down in size for each guide and keep the same ID of each guide. This is where the weight savings is found.

I am not sure if St Croix is actually implementing a smaller size guide train compared to the Extreme. It looked the same in Scheels and I haven't taken a caliper to it to check. But if they didn't take advantage of this, one more reason to build a custom stick off the same SC blank.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
r the blanks warranted?

- - - Updated - - -

MN the legend elite rules . Maybe i have been fishing devils lake too much -- i will get back to sak in june and maybe it may be a concern -- but its not life and death like if i was tourney fishing in mn.

Anyway -- any warranty on those blanks? how can they warrant them - if you put the guides on and decide where they go?

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
r the blanks warranted?

- - - Updated - - -

MN the legend elite rules . Maybe i have been fishing devils lake too much -- i will get back to sak in june and maybe it may be a concern -- but its not life and death like if i was tourney fishing in mn.

Anyway -- any warranty on those blanks? how can they warrant them - if you put the guides on and decide where they go?

St. Croix lists a 5 year warranty on defects in material or workmanship on the higher end blanks. Also remember that is just for the blank, so you will have to rebuild the rod. It is one downside to the custom route if you place a high value on fast and easy switch out for a broken rod.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just in Minneapolis and stopped in at the tuned up custom rods shop and the owner handed me their apex pro, medium extra fast 6'8" rod and tbh I traded my st croix and am ordering this rod before open water hits...

things I did not know before stopping at tucr... their business hours are in fact 7pm to 11pm because they all work regular jobs and come in during the evenings... each rod is 100% hand finished just like you would do at home... their rod engineer came from st croix... I don't know if any of the TUCR guys are on here but thanks for the tour Adam, I'll be tagging you guys on the ol' instagram up in canada this next week

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking for the same set up you mentioned and went with a St. Croix Legend Tournament 6'8" MXF that are designed for Snap Jigging - paired with a Pfleuger Patriarch size 25 reel. They feel great....can't wait for this ice to disappear.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a lot of rods. I do like my 6'3" Croix legend elite, but my favorite out of the arsenal is my 6'10" GLX. It is a medium light fast. If I was going to use it with jigging raps or shiver minnows I would look at an extra fast tip. For vertical jigging I love my IMX. It's an SJR722 model.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84