Golf Cart Questions

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at getting an electric golf cart to putz around the surrounding 5 miles in, but know next to nothing about their durability, range, speed, upgradability, etc. etc. etc. It will be used mostly on gravel roads, but I don't know if they will hold up. I can read specs, but there is no substitute for life experience. Any of you societal culls out there have any pearls of wisdom to share with a ignorant grey beard?? Thanks!!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you would need to upgrade the wheels/tires from the onset as I am thinking a regular GOLF cart is probably designed for well landscaped/smooth grass surfaces on a golf course versus any obstacles on gravel roads/ditches.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at getting an electric golf cart to putz around the surrounding 5 miles in, but know next to nothing about their durability, range, speed, upgradability, etc. etc. etc. It will be used mostly on gravel roads, but I don't know if they will hold up. I can read specs, but there is no substitute for life experience. Any of you societal culls out there have any pearls of wisdom to share with a ignorant grey beard?? Thanks!!

Why would you do this living in the country? Haha. My vote is no.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would you do this living in the country? Haha. My vote is no.

Many of the cattle ranchers around here are running golf carts to check on cattle, fences, and other chores. The ease of maintenance and lack of petroleum usage seems to make it attractive. Most put the heavy tires and a lift kit on it and then haul stuff around the yards instead of using the atv or utv. That's why I'm looking into getting one.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have one, however at the lake they use the heck outa them, and take them as off road as hilly mowed grass, even have some guys putting their jet skis in with them. I don't think you are going to be creek crossing with it, but it will run perfect for what you describe. I have also been considering one, instead of using the ranger at the campground.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Own an electric one once and never again. Have two used gas ones. One for campground and one up at golf course that i have never drove. Wife golfs.

But batteries are expensive, a pain in the ass and do not work or last. Maybe a new one but not a used one.
Cannot imagine a rancher using for work (except from house to shop or mailbox) over some kind of four-wheeler or dirt bike. db

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info db. I don't quite understand why it's so unbelievable that ranchers would use golf carts for simple jobs within a few miles of their ranches. Then again, I don't live in the more rugged western ND pastures. It's pretty flat and rolly here.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
No experience with an electric. Neighbor had a gas one he drove around the yard but for heavier use or longer drive always used the utv. I suppose just for light duty around the yard an electric would work ok. Not sure I'd want run 5 miles with one. My time is valuable! :)

eliminator

Honored Member
I have an electric golf cart and I think you would be sorely disappointed for what you want to use it for. If I were you I would look at a gas one at least. Maybe some electrics are way better than others but I would be hard pressed to pull much of anything with mine nor would I want to go 5 miles and expect to get back home. They are nice for short things and for a couple of people running around some but I don't know how long they would go with much of a load on them. Just put new batteries in my 36 volt and the lowest price I could find for 6 batteries and installing them myself was between 500 and 600 dollars. Good luck however you decide to go.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might wanna keep an eye out for a utility cart, my 30 year old E-Z Go GTX 800 is the handiest buggy I've ever owned. This pic stolen from internet but this is what they look like. golf cart 3.jpg

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, might add..and i am quite sure you already know this, but be sure to clean out the air filter often if traveling lots on dusty gravel roads!! This is true on most any vehicle however! Seems to gather more on lower to the ground units...carts, SXS, etc. Seems like there is dust everywhere when i pop the seat on my SXS after traveling on gravel roads. I use a leaf blower to get rid of the dust on the engine, etc.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a two year old gas Club Car that is bone stock. I had a SxS and I sold it due to the fact it just never got used anymore. I have a 4 wheeler that i use for hunting. Only thing i added on mine was a windshield and i "messed" with the governor a bit to get some more speed. I would not live without a golf cart. They are just plain out handy!

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just remember KDM you can only go about 300 yards and then you have to stop and drink a beer and bullshit with someone for 15 min. Friend of mine bought a used one for grand kids to drive around on and they have burned a piston on it twice. I dont think the gas ones are made to long hall a distance. My brother quit golfing a few years ago and gave me his gasser to use on the farm and around the garden and I use the hell out of it. Garden, run the dog, trap gophers, and just go cool off once in awhile. Just never go more than a mile at a time. Might put gas in it 3 times a year, think it holds about 6 gal. Top end is about as fast as my Lab is at a good lope. As soon as weather is above 40 I bet I put on about five miles a day until freeze up. In the pasture when I am trapping Gophers I have to watch out for old gopher mounds cause mine dont have a lot of ground clearance and it will high center. I keep a 6' 2x4 in the back so I can push myself off, better than walking home. LB

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Growing up my grandpa had a Yamaha electric and Dad still has it. The thing has been pretty bulletproof over the years. I don't know how they take copious amounts of dust running down gravel, but this one is over 40 years old and we just replaced batteries every so often and the motor one time. The main thing has been keeping the terminals clean and free of corrosion(pressure wash and corrosion resist spray as needed). I would think something that kept the motor from filling with dirt and getting a set of AGM or Lithium batteries would be the way to go. I see no reason why it wouldn't work other than dust worries.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I already stated my opinion but golf karts either gas or electric were meant and design for and atv were meant and design for. 4x4 or not, 50 mph or 20.

All depends on what you want one to do. Is to ride around the yard and take care of the small stuff or go beyond? db

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My vote would be for gas ( economical ) as the batteries are quite expensive to replace about every 3 yrs. Lithium maybe 5 yrs
Average 18 hole golf course is approx 6600 yards (3.75 miles) . Most electric carts can do 2 rounds of 18 holes. You would need to probably replace the turf tires with grip tires and maybe a lift.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to Metro Golf Carts, next to Dakota Tackle in Bismarck, and ask all your questions and concerns. They have new & used, gas and electric, and give honest answers. They can also do the lifts and street-legal options.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have used golf carts for at least 40 years. I prefer gas as they use very little gas and batteries can cost close to $1000, which even at today's prices will buy a lot of gas for a golf cart. I play usually at least twice a week or more when you add in my wife's playing as well as a grandson who also uses the cart. On a average summer I use no more than 20 gallons. So gas it is for me although when using an electric cart they are nice and quiet and run well.

for running around a farmyard a golf cart would be a good choice, running to bin sites or a shop on the other side of the farmyard. To use as a utility vehicle I'd recommend an actual utility cart. I've never considered my golf cart an all-terrain vehicle. No 4WD and limited clearance even with bigger tires. Just my 2 cents.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM,we've been using both electric and gaser carts for years at our local gun range on our sporting clays course,down side they use alot of juice worthless in mud and snowsuz1.jpg,battery life sucks,gasser is alot better lifted 4x4 is a positive add but spendy.

I keep a older susiki mini truck on the farm 4x4,enclosed cab,auto,heat and ac,plus whether you plan on hauling stuff you always will find things to throw in the box,no can do with a cart.

mini truck+

- - - Updated - - -

PS~

Along the same lines as davy,our gun range uses a similar ultiity cart called the pug...thing is about 30 years old and used alot,our clay course is o0ver two miles long plus setting up our outdoor rifle range...steel and targets back n forth,miles of travel very handy.

pug.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39