Golf Cart Questions

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember KDM you can only go about 300 yards and then you have to stop and drink a beer and bullshit with someone for 15 min. Friend of mine bought a used one for grand kids to drive around on and they have burned a piston on it twice. I dont think the gas ones are made to long hall a distance. My brother quit golfing a few years ago and gave me his gasser to use on the farm and around the garden and I use the hell out of it. Garden, run the dog, trap gophers, and just go cool off once in awhile. Just never go more than a mile at a time. Might put gas in it 3 times a year, think it holds about 6 gal. Top end is about as fast as my Lab is at a good lope. As soon as weather is above 40 I bet I put on about five miles a day until freeze up. In the pasture when I am trapping Gophers I have to watch out for old gopher mounds cause mine dont have a lot of ground clearance and it will high center. I keep a 6' 2x4 in the back so I can push myself off, better than walking home. LB

LB , he might want to check for a clogged/plugged muffler. One of ours used to smoke and overheat and it didn't have much get up and go. I thought the motor was used up but it had all sorts of compression, I took the exhaust off and it was so plugged up that the leaf blower wouldn't blow through it. Rigged up a makeshift steel pipe from leaf blower to muffler and heated muffler with a bertha torch until I got internal combustion and it burned and shot fire/sparks out for 4 hours after I turned the torch off. Put it back on and cart ran like a new one.

I don't trust oil injection on carts, what little gas they use I'll gladly mix 5 gallons at a time.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 1996 EzGo with a gas engine twin cylinder. Bought it in 2004 for $1600 turned down $2500 in 2019. It has a yard box on it. As far as getting dust in the motor area I just blow it clean with an air compressor on a regular basis.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The price of carts keep going up and up due to the more use at campgrounds. Looked for a long time for something decent that wasn't all used up. Finally found 2018 Club Car gas.( like new shape), $6900 just FYI , it will actually be used for golf. Added the wheels/tires.
20220123_123802.jpg
20220123_132224.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys for being a sounding board. Some good info, which I appreciate.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad tried electric stuff. Had electric bad boy buggy was ok no long runs though we hunted in rough stuff. He had golf cart for golfing he tried few other brands so-so the best. Bought golf cart and with upgrade's we added lift kit, bigger volt motor, lithium batterys, good wheels and tires and list goes on have about 13K in it about best you can get for electric stuff. He is gone now so I sold all of it and bought good quite gas model now.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
wslayer nice wheels and tires. Did those improve your game??? Asking for a friend.

They do , The lighter wheels with low profile tires along with a few other tricks makes a cart go so fast that you can get there and use a foot wedge before others can find thier balls. Lol just teasing wslayer. I remember someone saying that while golfing once, nice cart.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gas or electric get a lot of road dust in the engine compartment, you need to use the air compressor blower on them every so often and check your air filter twice as often on the gas models. LB

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
wslayer nice wheels and tires. Did those improve your game??? Asking for a friend.
Ha ha ! Sure hope so, as my game needs it. Just got back into it after15 yr layoff. Just purchased car in February so haven't used on course yet. Been riding with golf buddy.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was somewhat gifted an electric Yamaha this weekend. Buddy has had for 10 years, quit using it a few years ago, and wants it out of his shop. Nice looking buggy with the reverse rear seat, made mostly for carting around the campgrounds. Of course my cost into this thing is going to be replacing the batteries, which there are 8 6volt batteries that I will need to replace.
Any expert here know if I can put four 12volt ones in instead? Same 48 volts that will be needed, just half the batteries.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was somewhat gifted an electric Yamaha this weekend. Buddy has had for 10 years, quit using it a few years ago, and wants it out of his shop. Nice looking buggy with the reverse rear seat, made mostly for carting around the campgrounds. Of course my cost into this thing is going to be replacing the batteries, which there are 8 6volt batteries that I will need to replace.
Any expert here know if I can put four 12volt ones in instead? Same 48 volts that will be needed, just half the batteries.
Actually you can but you won't get much drive time with a 12 battery compared to a 6 volt battery.
https://cartaholics.com/threads/3-12-volt-vs-6-6-volt-batteries.14693/#:~:text=Yes the three 12 volt,don't save any money.

Last edited:

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had an electric golf cart at lake cabin for years. Only thing I did was to replace the turf tires with something with a little more grip (think wet clay). Agree with LB that dust is an issue even on electric. Would use air compressor about once a week to blow out all the dust in motor, brakes, electrical components. Think we ran it for about 6 years with same batteries and would trickle charge batteries over winter.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one at the lake for years. They work ok for that. As far as using around the place, I don’t see it. They have almost no payload capacity, slow as a snail, and just don’t seem very handy on a little place, but that’s your decision. The best cart I ever has was an old 2 stroke. Ran like a top, cheap to repair, and after removing the governo, couldn’t get about 18 mph out of it. 4 strokes are good but more maintenance. don’t much about electrics, other than 6 volt batteries are expensive as hell.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You sure it isn't 6 8-Volt batteries? That's what our older Yamaha electric cart uses.

IIRC, the cart will run on 48V however you get there, but, your runtime is significantly shorter w/4 12's vs. 6 8's.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You sure it isn't 6 8-Volt batteries? That's what our older Yamaha electric cart uses.

IIRC, the cart will run on 48V however you get there, but, your runtime is significantly shorter w/4 12's vs. 6 8's.
I am looking for the cheapest way to get this baby running, then maybe burn and turn it this fall, or next spring.
It wont be run all day on a golf course its a beat around the camp ground in the running from camper to bathroom to buddies camper type of situation that requires about 2 hours a weekend of actual use.

I didn't personally look at the battery compartment, but the fella I am getting it from stated 8 batteries.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking for the cheapest way to get this baby running, then maybe burn and turn it this fall, or next spring.
It wont be run all day on a golf course its a beat around the camp ground in the running from camper to bathroom to buddies camper type of situation that requires about 2 hours a weekend of actual use.

I didn't personally look at the battery compartment, but the fella I am getting it from stated 8 batteries.

Then I'd clean the battery terminals , top the batteries off with distilled water and charge them up and see what condition they are in. My charger has battery recondition , I'm not sure how much good it does.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Then I'd clean the battery terminals , top the batteries off with distilled water and charge them up and see what condition they are in. My charger has battery recondition , I'm not sure how much good it does.
I have never been that lucky, but might be worth a try. I haven't looked at them, but it has been in a Quonset for a few winters, and am guessing the batteries are bulged.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19