Handloading 6.5 creedmoor

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back at working up a handload for this rifle, bullet will be hornady 143 grn eldx, going to use hodgon Hybrid 100 v, with a range of 39 -42 grns.Initially loaded h4350 seated bullet to 2.800, but after working with this rifle a little more, smoking the bullet shows bullet touching lands at 2.670, consistently.This tells me that bullet was really pushed into the lands, but shot pretty well.I normally like to start .010 off the lands and work in or out.And thoughts on this as it seems a bit much.Also has anyone had any expierience with Hybrid 100 V.
The rifle is a savage mod 12 LRPH 26"bull barrel 1 in 8 twist.
Thanks for any input, as I have handloaded for many years, but know there are many on here with much more expierience!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back at working up a handload for this rifle, bullet will be hornady 143 grn eldx, going to use hodgon Hybrid 100 v, with a range of 39 -42 grns.Initially loaded h4350 seated bullet to 2.800, but after working with this rifle a little more, smoking the bullet shows bullet touching lands at 2.670, consistently.This tells me that bullet was really pushed into the lands, but shot pretty well.I normally like to start .010 off the lands and work in or out.And thoughts on this as it seems a bit much.Also has anyone had any expierience with Hybrid 100 V.
Thanks for any input, as I have handloaded for many years, but know there are many on here with much more expierience!!

A Sharpie is just as effective and WAY easier/faster than smoking a bullet. The sharpie can also tell you what’s touching and what isn’t relating to chamber/throat interaction, casehead/headspace, and neck/shoulder.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Is that coal or to the office?

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually when I said smoke I was actually using a sharpie.I did a bunch of reading on internet sites today, the pronounced ring on bullet would be bore line?And if so would that mean I have a tight spot ahead of lands, potentially robbing accuracy, although 100yd 200yd groups are very good, probly not getting full potential out where it should be.
When chambering loaded rounds seating depth does not change but can see a very slight scratch on bullet.
I have never ran across this before and if it would have been much closer to the 2.800 mark probly wouldnt have realized it, but 13 hundreths seemedquite obssesive, Thinking this ones going back to savage, will be calling Monay.Thoughts?
I 'm a bow guy that tinkers with reloading so any input is much appreciated!!

- - - Updated - - -

That would be col when bullet is set to that pronounced ring.2.670

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow!, email back from savage tech, stated that when guns first came out they had a chambering issue, which they corrected but sounds like bore a little tighter than usual, but should not affect shooting, but could possibly improve it by keeping it more stable.They did offer to send in for barrel replacement in 3-6 weeks.
I think its going for a ride!! Again is this the way to go? Thanks again!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it shoots I would roll with it. You should not run out of mag length. I run h4350 so no help with the powder.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just started working up the 143 ELDX for my Desert Tech. Looks like ~41.9 gr of H4350 is going to be the sweet spot at about 2825 fps (26in bbl).

143ELDX-LadderTest-Chart.png

I started them at about .03 off at 2.197 (to ogive). I’ll run another batch at various seating depths to fine tune it.
I realize this probably doesn’t help you much since you’re using a different powder, but I’ll post my stats for reference:

Bullet: Hornaday 143 ELDX
Case: Lapua
Primer CCI 450
Powder: 41.9 grains, H4350
OAL (to Ogive): 2.197
Barrel: 26in Benchmark 1-8
Velocity: ~2825fps (Magnetospeed)

-- Below is my current secret sauce. I’m moving to the Eldx because while the Scenar drives tacks, it doesn’t kill very well.

Bullet: Lapua 139 Scenar
Case: Lapua
Primer CCI 450
Powder: 42.6 grains, H4350
OAL (to Ogive): 2.220
Barrel: 26in Benchmark 1-8
Velocity: ~2866fps (Magnetospeed)

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy who has killed more than the plague with those scenars

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, well... I know a guy (me) that recently shot more than one coyote directly through the ribcage, and while they did die, they also ran more than 100 yards before doing so. I have come to expect that on occasion with my 223, but that shit is not acceptable with a 6.5. Upon closer inspection, there were roughly 6.5mm entry and exit holes.
As a comparison, I shoot a 87 v-max out of my 243, and it don't matter where you hit a coyote with that thing, they go down like they were struck by lightening.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was talking about deer ,elk and bears.

- - - Updated - - -

The 143 will kill coyote leave a baseball size exit hit bone and you get an even bigger hole.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, well... I know a guy (me) that recently shot more than one coyote directly through the ribcage, and while they did die, they also ran more than 100 yards before doing so. I have come to expect that on occasion with my 223, but that shit is not acceptable with a 6.5. Upon closer inspection, there were roughly 6.5mm entry and exit holes.
As a comparison, I shoot a 87 v-max out of my 243, and it don't matter where you hit a coyote with that thing, they go down like they were hit with lightening.

I have shot deer with the 155 gr Silver Scenar and they act like a full metal jacket. I'll dig up a photo for you of one that went lengthwise through a deer and showed absolutely no mushroom. Scenars are crap for hunting and I still have 300 or 400 to shoot up. Gophers I guess.

I did load a couple hundred down to 2000 fps for the grandkids to plink with.

Edit: Lapua like Kimber is over estimated. I have had to turn necks on all of my 6.5x284 Lapua brass. Groups are as good with resized 284 Winchester. They do have uniform annealing. I think I will start salt annealing.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 143 will kill coyote leave a baseball size exit hit bone and you get an even bigger hole.

Good. I don't care about fur. I just like to flatten them.

- - - Updated - - -

I was talking about deer ,elk and bears.

I'll say it's possible that heavier meat / bone would induce better expansion, but with all the excellent bullets out there that are actually designed for hunting, I don't see the point in using "target" bullets on anything but targets. I only started with the Scenar because the guy that spun up my barrel recommended them, but he's a PRS guy, not a hunter.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Done. Which one is she?

PatSinclair.jpg

Is this still about the Scenar? You're not going to convince me that the Scenar is the perfect killing bullet. I don't give a shit what experience others have had with them. My first-hand experience was poor, so I'm moving on.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a comparison, I shoot a 87 v-max out of my 243, and it don't matter where you hit a coyote with that thing, they go down like they were struck by lightening.

155 Scenar in .308 made him drop dead in his tracks. Sounds to me like the problem is the shooter...:;:stirthepotD6EE6F58-5410-40BA-80BB-F8E218C0BA23.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
155 Scenar in .308 made him drop dead in his tracks. Sounds to me like the problem is the shooter...:;:stirthepot38837076_452039631972651_4144487344348594176_n.jpg

It must be the shooter then because they perform good for some folks and are crap for me. Back when we could shoot multiple does I shot a few with the Scenar. At 100 yards the hole going out was like a nickel. At 500 yards the doe went down in her tracks (down, but not dead). I don't know what I hit, but it put her down. When we recovered her my son found the bullet laying on the ground behind her. She was looking at me and I run it through her lengthwise. Every one I shot acted like full metal. I think we owe it to the things we hunt to use bullets that kill faster. This is my only recovered bullet: hmmmm found the pic, but the site will not let me add a pic. I'll try later.Scenar vs deer.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88