How Is Leon?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dude, Leon was just another victim of 2021.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...avyweight-boxing-champ-dies-at-67/ar-BB1dsh5h

[FONT=&quot]Boxing legend Leon Spinks died at the age of 67 on Friday night in a Henderson, Nevada, hospital near his home after battling with prostate cancer for several years, according to family friend Joe Bernal.[/FONT]

[COLOR=#000000 !important]1 of 15 Photos in Gallery©AP

[h=2][/h]Leon Spinks, boxing, 1953-2021

[/COLOR]
Spinks served in the Marine Corps before he rocketed to international fame in 1978 when he beat Muhammad Ali in a split decision to earn the undisputed world heavyweight title in what was considered one of the biggest upsets in boxing history.
“It was considered a mere joke,’’ fellow boxing great George Foreman told USA TODAY Sports when reflecting on that historic bout. “Why in the world would they put (Spinks) in the ring with Muhammad Ali with such a short boxing career?
From NFL plays to college sports scores, all the top sports news you need to know every day.
“He beat the devil out of Muhammad, from pillar to post, even Muhammad was surprised.
“(Spinks) was legitimate, and he has his rightful place in the history of heavyweight boxers.’’

Spinks' gap-toothed smile became his trademark as he burst on the scene as an amateur. Fighting alongside his brother Michael and a charismatic light welterweight by the name of Ray Leonard, they became most successful U.S. Olympic boxing team in history.

STEAM Medals - Scholastic Medals - STEM Medals
AdCrown Awards

th

All three fighters won gold at the 1976 Summer Games, as did countrymen Howard Davis and Leo Randolph. Teammates Charles Mooney won silver and John Tate bronze.
Leonard, who got to know Spinks when they were members of that 1976 U.S. Olympic team, recalled their time together fondly.
“Personally speaking, he was one of the nicest guys,'' Leonard told USA TODAY Sports. "He was a great guy to be around. Funny and hard working. He was all those things.’’
Fresh off his Olympic success, Leon Spinks turned professional the following year. In just his eighth pro bout, he squared off against the legendary Ali for the undisputed heavyweight title.
Spinks, then 24, pulled the upset in a split decision to win the title. However, he lost a rematch with Ali seven months later by unanimous decision.
He had one more heavyweight title fight – in 1981 – but lost to Larry Holmes in a third-round TKO.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Spinks retired in 1995 with a record of 26-17-3. He was named to the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame in 2017.

Gotta admit though, I was a much bigger fan of Michael Spinks. Sorry...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool vid. Never had a salt tank, but have had many critters in freshwater. Aside from various fish, we had Newts, Salamanders, various "shrimps" and crabs. I've also enjoyed some snakes and minor lizards in my youth. Skinks being the most common, although my brother had a couple of geckos, a pair of anoles, and we shared a short-lived iguana. In hindsight, that wasn't such a good pet for a couple of kids. Hermit crabs too. Interesting little buggers.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've now included Leon in my will....thanks Svnmag....Didn't know a lobster could make me tear up....

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm the same way about a lesbian chimney sweep.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thing Leon would be really good, seasoned up with Old Bay seasoning and dipped in butter. :;:stirthepot

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leons pampered life is one to not envy, as he is "taken care of", but...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
An IQ test for Leon. Skip to 8:00:

https://youtu.be/IlnIKIog80M

Bonus: My great grandfather "off the boat" fed on the American Robin (thrush) with bacon grease and cast iron: Tweet tweet--here's svnmag: Please God don't let times get that hard again in America:

https://youtu.be/mRa9-dc5E6c

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82