Ice House Build

Stinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice Fish 1.1.jpgIce Fish 1.2.jpgIce Fish 1.jpgIce Fish2.jpgIce Fish 3.jpg

I started this ice house build last winter and am putting finishing touches on it for this year. I bought the frame from a welder in MN and used materials i was able to scavenger from work. I went through this on a budget from the old lady. She should be happy i didn't go buy one off a lot.

It is 6.5' x 14' with a 3' v nose. Weights in at 2600 lbs. Currently just have a 12v system with LED lights. I built it with an open layout to use rolling office chairs as seats. Overall was a fun build and looking forward to getting it out in the next few months!

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope you worked plenty of bud lights into the budget! I can only see two in the background. How many holes did you put in there? A love seat or something would be great in there as well. Looks sweet, keep posting pics as the project wraps up!

Stinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
If i remember right, i think it was $1300 for the frame from Miltona Black Smiths. He custom builds the frames to what your looking for.

I put 8 catch cover holes in. The layout is set up for two guys fishing facing each other with each person having a side by side jigging and dead stick hole. These holes are in the center of the shack approximately 6' between the "stations". The remaining 4 holes are in the corners for rattle reels. I have a over sized fold up cot, so i opted to not install bunks. The bunks seem to take up a lot of floor space, and sitting on a bunk fishing does not sound too enticing.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our frame came from miltona as well. Although it still looks pretty good, I would rhinoline it prior to starting the build if I did it all over again.

Stinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our frame came from miltona as well. Although it still looks pretty good, I would rhinoline it prior to starting the build if I did it all over again.

I painted the frame with a flat black epoxy paint, and then the floor was spray foamed. All bracing steel is covered in foam, except for the exterior frame. I have not noticed rust anywhere besides on the tongue where i did not paint under the winch, but yes rust is one of my concerns going through the years with this shack.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first frame was from Miltona. After the house was built the winch and wheel system was not the best. My house weighted about 3800 lbs and with one pulley it cranked up like a bear. My new house was built by Steves welding Pequat Lake and that is a nice frame. Its a little more money but the winch system is a 2 pulley system and a 10 yr old can let it up and down. Same with the hitch 2 pulley system. He also puts 7500 lb axles on them to keep from flexing. My frame from Miltona after a couple of yrs bouncing accross the lake my axles were bowed. Looking at your frame Miltona blacksmith hasnt changed there design in yrs.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice build stinger. Anyone know where in GF or Fargo you can buy 4x8 sheets of smooth metal siding ? And about how much a sheet it is ?

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 2600 lbs I dont think he will have issues.

Right now its empty. By the time you get all your gear in it will weigh more. I did notice one layer of plywood. So no insulated floor so he saved some of weight that way.

Stinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right now its empty. By the time you get all your gear in it will weigh more. I did notice one layer of plywood. So no insulated floor so he saved some of weight that way.

The floor is 1/2" CDX with 1 1/2" of spray foam underneath it. The spray foam took the sponginess out of the plywood. I spose once i get my gear in there, full propane tank, cooler etc it will weigh about 2900. Right now it cranks up and down pretty easy. I make sure to grease the pivot fairly often. I'm just happy i got it done within my meager budget and will have something for me and my buddies to enjoy.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing that I did was take the pivot point off the stub shaft and grind grooves in the solid shaft. Then put a good anti seize grease on it. That way the grease wont push out the sides. Normally the grease zerks plug up and wont allow grease in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19