Keeping traditions going

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2015
Posts
584
Likes
159
Points
265
Location
Bottineau County
My family had “traditions” that were done every year and kind of were more normal activities to us than traditional I guess!

My dad always cured some of his deer every year the way he was taught and as I got older was involved with this as well as many other things we did. I’m sure at some point in our past these things were done out of necessity, now they seem like they are more of a treat!!

The venison in the photo was salt cured like we did as a kid, then hung up and aged for 4 months. It can be chipped and eaten on toast with a gravy but I really enjoy just slicing it thin and eating it. This specific piece will be three years old in February. I make a few pieces every year because my family likes it, this piece has been my experiment to see just how long properly cured meat will last.
 

Attachments

IMG_4151.jpeg


D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2015
Posts
219
Likes
116
Points
202
Location
Central ND
My family had “traditions” that were done every year and kind of were more normal activities to us than traditional I guess!

My dad always cured some of his deer every year the way he was taught and as I got older was involved with this as well as many other things we did. I’m sure at some point in our past these things were done out of necessity, now they seem like they are more of a treat!!

The venison in the photo was salt cured like we did as a kid, then hung up and aged for 4 months. It can be chipped and eaten on toast with a gravy but I really enjoy just slicing it thin and eating it. This specific piece will be three years old in February. I make a few pieces every year because my family likes it, this piece has been my experiment to see just how long properly cured meat will last.
Traditions mean a lot to me also, as we do a dried beef summer sausage that is cold smoked and cured (usually in the April/May time frame) in and old smoke house.
 

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

  • This month: 81
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18
Top Bottom