Labrador no longer America's favorite pooch

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think boxers are the same had one jump off a guys pontoon and just sank we had to dive in and save it. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

As for trainer I’m just a beginner who has got to learn from a lot of great people. Even though the pros are competitive they are willing to help anyone who asks questions. If I was 20 years younger I would have a whole different career path.
Boxers generally can’t swim due to their chest being so big and the way they are built….at least that’s what I have been told. They will sure try though. I have been around a few boxers and their families and I would rate them up there as some of the smartest and loyal dogs around. I wouldn’t count them in for hunting or fishing though. Ha

Bobkat

Established Member
A bit off topic here, but an old friend of mine occasionally sends me pics and descriptions of young usually purebred dogs turned into various shelters like, Labs, GSP’s, spaniels and could be good hunting dogs, asking if I knew of any hunter prospective owners. I know of two such dogs being trained and actually winning field trials and hunting tests.
I wondered if Vollmer would let me post these mutts here. We all complain about the exorbitant prices of good dogs, but now and then what looks to be a field and family dog comes up for giveaway or extremely low price from these shelters. Dogs not given up because they are no good, but owners finding circumstances unable to keep them. Illnes, kids with asthma, kob changes, deaths, etc. I’d bet my pension that some of these dogs might be perfect for a lot of us and our families.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A bit off topic here, but an old friend of mine occasionally sends me pics and descriptions of young usually purebred dogs turned into various shelters like, Labs, GSP’s, spaniels and could be good hunting dogs, asking if I knew of any hunter prospective owners. I know of two such dogs being trained and actually winning field trials and hunting tests.
I wondered if Vollmer would let me post these mutts here. We all complain about the exorbitant prices of good dogs, but now and then what looks to be a field and family dog comes up for giveaway or extremely low price from these shelters. Dogs not given up because they are no good, but owners finding circumstances unable to keep them. Illnes, kids with asthma, kob changes, deaths, etc. I’d bet my pension that some of these dogs might be perfect for a lot of us and our families.
I would be especially interested in the retrievers winning field trails. Hell even with the best dogs and trainers it takes most of them 3-5 years to win an open.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting labs are much different than show labs, a lot of people dont realize this and buy a 'lab' thinking it will be a good hunter, not so much...

Bobkat

Established Member
I would be especially interested in the retrievers winning field trails. Hell even with the best dogs and trainers it takes most of them 3-5 years to win an open.
Agree Kurt. I don’t know much about retriever trials, would like to see some. Just into Springer and E Cocker trials and hunt tests. One gotcha about adopting otherwise good dogs from shelters is that most insist on the dog being neutered sooner or later. Some species trial don’t allow neutered dogs to compete, at least in the past, but that might be changing nowadays.
In any case, there is the occasional good dog up for adoption that IMO looks like it could make a great family pet part of the year and a good weekend hunter come fall. Hunt tests though are a lot of fun and pretty open though. As you know, dogs are judged simply pass or fail.
Do you have many retriever trials in the Mobridge area? I’d love to see one or two. More into spaniels for me, which are more upland with winners doing water tests. Good points though Kurtr.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree Kurt. I don’t know much about retriever trials, would like to see some. Just into Springer and E Cocker trials and hunt tests. One gotcha about adopting otherwise good dogs from shelters is that most insist on the dog being neutered sooner or later. Some species trial don’t allow neutered dogs to compete, at least in the past, but that might be changing nowadays.
In any case, there is the occasional good dog up for adoption that IMO looks like it could make a great family pet part of the year and a good weekend hunter come fall. Hunt tests though are a lot of fun and pretty open though. As you know, dogs are judged simply pass or fail.
Do you have many retriever trials in the Mobridge area? I’d love to see one or two. More into spaniels for me, which are more upland with winners doing water tests. Good points though Kurtr.
No not close to Mobridge. Bismark is the closest hrc test and and minot and jamestown are the closest akc hunt test. Minot runs a field trial on there grounds and so do does the north dakota retriever club in fargo as well as the club in sioux falls. To get our master passed this year i think i am going to have to go to Minnesota or Nebraska I think i will go south as I have heard the Minnesota mafia can be a tough pass. I would also like to try and run a super retriever series in the next few years. I will be running the hrc grand I dont know about this fall but having a Grand dog is the main goal we want to accomplish.

There are some spaniel trials at bismark i think at the same place the hrc tests were run last year at Tom Ness place.

Bobkat

Established Member
I’ve been involved in spaniel trials for years out at Tom’s place. Hunt and fish with him all the time and have bred pur dogs back and forth a lot. Tom is selling part of his place to a really nice young man whose specialty’s raising and training mainly British labs! Zach is a great guy! I missed the retriever trial there last year. Now too old to field trial other than help poit but love the hunt tests. One test my smallest E Cocker (19 1/2 pounds soaking wet(lol)was backup dog for any failed water retriev3s. She never missed one, but water wasn’t cold and freezing!
I’ll keep my eyes and ears open for some in the Bis area. Thanks. Bob

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been involved in spaniel trials for years out at Tom’s place. Hunt and fish with him all the time and have bred pur dogs back and forth a lot. Tom is selling part of his place to a really nice young man whose specialty’s raising and training mainly British labs! Zach is a great guy! I missed the retriever trial there last year. Now too old to field trial other than help poit but love the hunt tests. One test my smallest E Cocker (19 1/2 pounds soaking wet(lol)was backup dog for any failed water retriev3s. She never missed one, but water wasn’t cold and freezing!
I’ll keep my eyes and ears open for some in the Bis area. Thanks. Bob
Their test is june 17/18th this year. I wont be there this year will be over at lsland lake running master

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84