Lake Sakakawea State park

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I wanted to make a reservation at Lake Sakakawea S.P. for Sept. 29-Oct. 1. But it shows all the campsites as first come first serve.

Should I be at all concerned about not getting a place to camp or is it like a ghost town?
Is there any staff there or amenities during that time?

I really just need electric hookup and a bathroom. Any info from somebody who's stayed there late in the season appreciated?

eliminator

Honored Member
My wife use to work there--she said what she remembers is that they are indeed all first come first serve and you should not have a problem getting normally that time of year. They close off some of the loops and there might not be water but they keep the bathrooms open for a while and the dump stations are still usable for dumping and filling water. I would suggest you call the park office 487-3315 and they should be able to tell you for sure. Hope this helps you

walihunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
There're contact info is:
Lake Sakakawea State Park

Phone: 701 487-3315
Address:
720 Park Av PICK CITY ND 58545​

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eliminator is correct. Elbowoods will most likely be closed off. You should have no problem getting a site. Even starting the weekend after Labor Day it gets kinda quiet. I think the exact date that they start shutting things down might depend on the temperatures.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just heard on the news no more online reservations for the season starting sept 9 I believe. I camped there this weekend and was kinda peeved, made online reservations last Wednesday night and it showed there were maybe 5-6 spots left with power and water, so I got one and at max capacity over the weekend the camp ground was lucky if it was half occupied. If people can piss away 50 bucks for a weekend and not use the reservations I will give them my info and they can throw that money my way lol.

On a side note Knights in Riverdale has gone to shit with quality of their restaurant, I ordered a steak medium rare it came about well done my wife ordered one medium and aged boot leather would have had more life left in it than that steak did. Was pretty good a couple years ago last time I was there and this time was crap then they added a 4% fee to the total bill for paying with a credit card.:mad:

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild, jeez your grumpy :)

That's too bad that Knights has went down hill. I haven't been there recently but had a couple good meals there last year. I wonder if the new place by hwy 200 in Riverdale is decent?

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The iron oar has pretty dang good food. I've had great service and very poor service the two times I've been there.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
DM is spot on...wife and I been in the Iron Oar couple times...food always great-service depends on how busy they are!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup park open but the office is usually closed so make sure you bring cash to pay camping fee's via the drop box. They still have someone drive around and check. Littles in pick city is always a good place to get a bite to eat.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks again for the info guys. Out of curiosity, how many of you go camping and eat out? We don't eat out very much at home but never do when camping except maybe on a long drive to or fro.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup park open but the office is usually closed so make sure you bring cash to pay camping fee's via the drop box. They still have someone drive around and check. Littles in pick city is always a good place to get a bite to eat.

Don't they still take checks?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again for the info guys. Out of curiosity, how many of you go camping and eat out? We don't eat out very much at home but never do when camping except maybe on a long drive to or fro.

I would have been able to say never until last year. Mrs Sluggo and I were camping for 5 days so decided to let someone else cook 1 night plus wanted to give the Knights a little business.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually don't but when at the state park and it's that close we try to one meal. Makes it nice if I spend to long on the water and don't want to cook. I also like to spend some money in the little towns to keep those places open.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11