Large flat screen TV advice

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Samsung gets my vote. Kids love the smart tv in the family room for YouTube.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
See I have surround sound built into the ceiling and walls of the new place, so the tv has to match the sound system. It's like Christmas for me all excited about spiffy new stuff

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Samsung has my vote. Mrs. auggie has a Vizio that's been in to the shop twice. It's for giveaway as I replaced it with another Samsung.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Samsung and LG are probably the most popular right now. I'm going to be sad when my Panasonic plasma dies as far as picture quality. Hopefully they get the OLED Technology and prices down in the next few years.

No no matter what you buy, just remember they'll come out with something better 3 months after your purchase. ;:;banghead

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Word on street said to just buy tv with very best screen... and don't worry about smart TV aspects. Instead you use ROKU for "smart TV" function.

I didn't listen, bought smart TV. Glad I did. ROKU just doesn't impress me.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shit, to much tech talk for a dofus like me. TV and Busch light, that's my huckleberry

- - - Updated - - -

I used my dad's davenport last week, was pretty couch like. Awesomeness

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree! For the money,hard to beat Vizio.

We have 46" ish Vizio (yea I'm poor) for around 3 years now. No complaints at all. It turns on every time so I'm happy

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, I think Vizio is worth a look anyway. They have some top of the line models that look great

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a Samsung fan. If you could suffer it out, I think the 65" 4K will be under 2k$ in a month. From thanksgiving till early Jan is the best deals on electronics. Check Amazon as well for the 2014 version. They should get super cheap here soon but limited quantities obviously. 8550 is the model I believe.

Curve bed screen will die out as fast as it popped up IMO. For that matter, tech nerds are already talking 8k coming out soon....tho blu ray just starting making 4K content of recent with Dolby atmos. Pretty amazing if you see it all in action.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a 65 smart tv. Here's the deal, the smart tv idea is stupid. It offers nothing more than already comes with my dish network. It's a marketing scam. I don't need the smart tv to login to all that bs when i can do it right through dish network. It's almost 2016, smart tvs are old news. I mean, ya unless you don't have a computer or a phone, a smart tv might be kinda neat to that person but.....Just get a solid 70 incher n be done with it. I went from a 50 to a 65, now the 65 has to go because I want a bigger one. Do it right the first time n be done with it. Go 70, skip the smart. Pro tip, look around at sams club, they always have a deal going on with their tvs it seems. Rammmble rammmble, blurb blurb........out

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we moved last year, I decided to count my change bucket that I had for a couple of years. Had close to $600 of spare change in it. I decided that since once tv was acting up and there's was only one other tv in the house, I'd spend money on a big bastard. Well, $600 gets you into the door at least. Ended up with a 55" vizio and it's awesome. In fact, my other two tvs are insignias. Our bedroom tv has been kicking since 2005 and endured a half dozen moves. Sadly, the motherboard is going out and I have to toss it.

But I digress. Samsung and LG might lead the pack but are not far ahead of vizio or insigni. Roku is handy but very choppy. A smart tv will be our next purchase. Since we don't have a computer in the house.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever since the last iPhone update, this damn keyboard just does what it wants. F'n apple products.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
johnr all this tech talk makes my mind hurt you should take the day off and go fishing and think this thing over.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
This one should do just fine. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DG097Q4/?tag=nodakangler10-20

I bought a 55in Samsung Smart TV last winter and so far I really like it. Be carefully when buying a smart tv because every brand and even different models within one brand have different features. Some are very basic and not really worth it at all and some have app stores that you can download different apps and customize them however you like. Some have a web browser as well. I will add if you have one with a web browser get a bluetooth keyboard. It will make life a lot easier when trying to navigate the interweb.

Another note. If you aren't in a huge hurry to get a one right now I would wait until January. That is typically when stores have the biggest deals of the year.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suggest staying away from Sony TV's. I have one that is about 5-6 yrs old and hate it. The sound comes and goes, update the "software" says Sony, so you order the compatible thumbdrive pre-loaded with the software updates and guess what? Yep, sound still cuts in and out and it no longer being under warranty, nobody cares. POS...

Samsung USED to be the bomb. Our office has had to have several of them repaired. Some little $4 capacitor/transistor/doohickey swells up and they go kaput. These are 4-6 yr old TV's and while on a lot, it's a $4 piece from the internet and a couple hours of labor to fix. Now...did they just get a large order of these things that are in every TV that were substandard? Maybe, but I don't think the initial quality of a Samsung is any better than an LG or any of the other reputable manufacturers out there.

Also, a smart TV is never a bad idea if there are kids around, or even if you just want to play on youtube. My kids almost exclusively watch youtube, now I wish the basement TV was a smart one.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh, I used my dad's Roku last weekend and thought it to be pretty slick.

I don't like two remotes. surf with one (ROKU) and adjust volume with the other. a really good universal remote would be a solution.

I find the smart TV's built in Netflix, Amazon, etc. apps on my smart TV and remote are just as handy as the ROKU, so it seems like a hassle to pick up the remote, switch inputs to the ROKU, yadda.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might want to check out sony's xbr series. It's their high end series. You can get a 65" for a little over 2k. It's ultra hd (4k). If you wait a month you should easily get it for under 2k. Also, you should get some Martin Logan "theos" speakers while you're at it. Throw an nad amp on it and have the whole entertainment package. Might as well do it right. Or overkill depending on how you look at it. Haha.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well this whole ROKU thing is new to me, never even heard of it. We are west river, and just last month had electricity added to our cities.

I have 2 kids left at home, and they are just getting into the ages of knowing how to do this fancy stuff, so I am in luck. We have wifi in the house, mrs johnr is pretty smart and techy, so the smart tv might be doable.
The room is much bigger than my current room, however not sure I want a 70 inch or bigger TV, I am thinking that might be too big, is there such a thing. As stated I plan on doing it right and not having buyers remorse like I did with my pickup and not getting the $500 back up camera option, cause that was $500 I didn't need to spend...;:;banghead

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in your shoes exactly one year ago. I bought a 65" Samsung Smart TV from Best Buy and I would suggest you do the same. What you need to do is start watching the prices on Best Buy's website, what happened last year is that the prices dropped a couple hundred between now and black Friday and then right around black Friday they dropped again but only for a couple days and then they shot back up. I bought after the first price drop but the 2nd price drop was within their 14 day window so they gave me the difference back in cash. I ended up getting a normally priced $1500 for $1000. In retrospect if I had waited I would have bumped up a model and paid $1500 for the next best model which was normally priced at $2300. I am very happy with my current TV and did not buy a sound bar....yet, altho they will try to sell you one. So if you want to make it as quick and as painless as possible, buy a 65" Samsung when the prices drop in the next month from Best Buy, can even buy it online and pick it up at the store. Attached is the image I saved last year that shows the price drop I am referring to. Good luck!
samsung-comparison.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55