Lindy Rig Leader Line

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you all use for leader line on your lindy rigs? I have been using Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon, but I have read that a lot of people like mono. The reason being is that fluoro sinks and may cause the bait to drag bottom? I am not sure about that. Just looking for some input!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends,crawler,leech or minnow rig? walleyes hugging the bottom fluro is a plus as you mentioned as the line is hollow and sinks,walleyes off the bottom we rig 5,6 up to 10' snells berkley ultra thin in 6lb,inject crawler with air so they float or use a small float for minnows.Couple thoughts.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
whatever it is as long as its lower poundage than main lines so it breaks b4 if snagged, wont lose as many bbers that way.. but mono for me

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sec the Berkeley 12lb I've used it for years and never had a prob those guys that used smaller line then main I would be pretty upset looseing a 10 lber cause of that remember the Lindy line is getting the most abbuse from rocks or weeds

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
8# mono. 2# lighter than my main line. I use fluorocarbon with a spin and glow floater to keep a little off bottom when bbouncing.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahhh..the Lindy Rig. Brings back fond memories of my younger years. Cut my teeth using them, which at the time they were a fairly new product and were the claim to fame from the Lindner brothers Al and Ron. My folks owned a cabin near Stony Point Natl Forest Campground on Leech Lake,MN. An old wooden boat came with the cabin. We did had a 16 starcraft with a 65 merc but this old wooden boat was a neat old boat that my dad made sure we took out when my mom came along..He named it after her...and painted Arla's Ark on it haha.it had a 40 Hp outboard on it..I think the boat was like 18 ft long..windshield.. benchseats went the length versus across. That thing was slower than slow but we didn't have to go far to the fishing grounds..haha My dad and mom and brothers and I did really well on lindys and airing up the crawlers. My dad would always have the bail open and the line on his finger against the rod. When you feel a bite, do not set the hook boys, he would say..let the line drop off your finger and count to 10, close the bail and if you felt the fish, set the hook. Good times. My dad was a good teacher as we caught many many walleyes over the 5-6 yrs we had that cabin. My dad had a Lowrance Fish Lo-K-tor..ahhh yes.. the Green box..hahaha.. Back in the day it was the KING of locators...probably cuz there weren't many others..hahhaa We would mainly fish Stony Point, Little Stony, Ottertail and Pine..drifting across the points worked well....when we had drifted past the points...reel in boys he would say,we are gonna head back and drift back and take another pass. Drifting seemed to be the method of choice for the number of boats out there..common courtesy seemed to be the in thing back then as if a boat was drifting faster or slower or whatever, just putting boat in forward or reverse and problems were solved. We made a lot of our own lindys..cut cardboard from empty cereal boxes..in about 2X2 squares..haha..cut slits in the square to wind the lindy line around...dang..i remember making and having a bunch of those cereal cardboard home made lindys! hahha No..i don't remember what line I used..haha
Ah yes, then life got in the way and am just left with the memories of those days when I was a youngster. Lindy rigs will always be in my tackle box. The end

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
12# mono holds up to catching multiple fish without having to replace as often. I run 10# power pro mainline and the leader always seems to break first unless the sinker is snagged.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So it sounds like most of you guys are using 10-12# mono. I have been using a little heavier mono for lindys and spinners. I guess I just got in the habit because of some slough shark bite-offs. Do you guys think a little heavier is detrimental to overall fish catching? Maybe I have been overdoing it a little. Just thinking out loud!

Fish On!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
6# fire line on reels, 8# Berkley mono for Lindy's and spinners.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tikka,
That was a hell of a thread you threw out there the other day! You are probably still grinning ear to ear after reading that shit storm. I can't wait for you to brew up another idea. :;:cheers

Fish On!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 117
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 49