Long range photography

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I had a setup that would shoot long range with good quality, What MM lens do you like ? I don't want to break the bank but if the price was right might buy a set or else just a lens for the Cannon XSI . I see new 600- 1300 mm under $ 300 but you get what you pay for . Seems like I paid that for a spotting scope setup for an old camera in the 70s and it was a peice of junk. The good part and I think it would be fun is that it's easy to enhance and zoom in on a good quality photo with the computer and save it . What program do you like best for that ? What should I watch out for ? Any websites that you can point to ?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I use pixlr for photo editing. Its an online editor and simple to use.

I haven't gotten into photography, however I likely will once the kiddos get a little older.

bonessk01

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a canon xsi with a 100-400i.s. usm lens its better than s-x it lasts longer!
A 1.4 teleconverter helps. the lens isn't cheep but I guarantee you won't be disappointed
I have lots of hand held shots that keep the memories of the moment forever!

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Light room is good for doctoring photos.

I only have a cheap Nikon 50-250 lens. It does the job but I would like something a lot better, they get spendy though.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Canon 7D/100-400 IS USM

150yds off of a tri-pod, no edits:

IMG_1585.jpg

Same photo with a crop and a little touch up in IPhoto:

IMG_1585.jpg

Shooting in Jpeg not RAW.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, a lot of what lens you want will depend on what you want to shoot. I have a 70-300mm Canon f/4-5.6 IS USM and it's a nice short telephoto for larger critters (sort of), landscapes, and some portraiture. If you want to shoot animals (large game, predators, birds, etc.) you'll want something 500mm or larger. You can remain a comfortable distance (mostly for the critters sake) and still capture great photos. Get as low an f/ stop number as you can. Also, you will pay dearly for these lenses. Don't pay $300 for a lens that shoots 600-1300mm, it just won't shoot how you want it to.

Photo editing software go Lightroom. It will do everything you want the program to do and then some. Keep in mind to zoom in and still have great photos you need to be shooting upwards of 16-20mp. Your XSI may not shoot quite as well as you would like it
to.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at the prices I get cold feet , Looks like a lot to pay for a toy that I might use a few times a year. I'm guessing longer shots also need better lighting than close shots ? Quite a bit of the shooting will be late evening so I might be better off closer to the target with less lens.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lighting in the Caribou pics was terrible. Piss-flat and terrible mirage.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an hd swaro spotter with a wide angle lense that takes razor sharp long range pics.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at the prices I get cold feet , Looks like a lot to pay for a toy that I might use a few times a year. I'm guessing longer shots also need better lighting than close shots ? Quite a bit of the shooting will be late evening so I might be better off closer to the target with less lens.

When it comes to lighting the only thing that matters will be your shutterspeed - the amount of light your camera "captures" will depend on the aperture you are shooting at, thus determining how long your shutter must remain open. To get a nicely exposed photo your camera will adjust its shutterspeed faster/slower depending on how long the shutter needs to be open to expose for enough light. With longer shots you may find it advantageous to shoot from a tripod, most people do, but if you are shooting with a large telephoto at f/2.8 your shutterspeed is still going to be pretty quick, depending on atmospheric condition of course.

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh..........here I thought this thread was about the guy taking pics of little girls at the pool in Fargo.

From what the paper said, I bet that red headed fella could offer quite a few tips on Long Range Photography. Sounds like the Perv preffered young two legged deer wearing bikinis.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74