NEW!!! ice fishing app for cell phone!!

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I found this on the Android play store today.. called ice report .. as you can tell it's mainly in Minnesota right now but there's a few reports for North Dakota!! Maybe if more of us download the app we can spread it all over the nodak community!

Screenshot_20161219-064637.jpg
Screenshot_20161219-065135.jpg
Screenshot_20161219-065206.jpg

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what we need is more blue platers pirating our ice fishing spots.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good idea and all but someone is going to report 16 inches where they are so someone not experienced is just going to assume its 16 everywhere on that lake and just take off driving without checking themselves.

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have it downloaded and posted a couple locations for depth of ice over the past several days. Because this app was there, it helped me decide how I plan to get out and where to go based on how much walking I knew I had to do. Although I posted from a location on the lake that wasn't exactly "my spot", I make sure I was posting a depth of ice that was consistent with every place I checked. I think this is good to have...although you must take with a grain of salt with safety in mind....anyone who trusts public information from someone they don't know or trust without speculation are asking for trouble.

I wish they would allow a comment so one could explain things like "11" but slushy ice....or the bottom 4 inches were good clear ice etc....all 11" of ice is "not created equal". Also, if one could comment about the amount of snow on the ice as well, the ultimate goal is to understand the overall condition for safety in my opinion....I'll never trust anything without using my own precautions, no matter where I go...I have always been overly paranoid about driving on and trusting any ice.

I can see it opening up more people to lakes as they see large quantities of reports from a given lake they are not aware of increasing the amount of traffic on that lake. I also don't plan to report ice conditions moving forward unless it gets sketchy due warm up or something. I am as protective of my spots as the next guy, I just think if I can help people be more safe based on the conditions, so be it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56