Peregrine Falcons

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are peregrines anything rare in North Dakota? Ive got some nesting in my back yard, and wasnt sure if its a big deal or not. Dont know if its something to report to game n fish or if theyre common as redtail hawks.

Theyre not scared of me, i can get within ten feet of one before it flys away. almost stepped on one takin a bath in some water on the pool cover piled up on the ground yesterday. Kinda cool to watch em blast doves out of the air over my house.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not too terribly uncommon. Don't think there was ever "a lot" of them like red tails, etc. but I could be wrong.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool!! They are not common from what I understand, but I'm not sure I'd want a bunch of rabid bird watchers hanging around my back yard all summer taking pics, setting up video cameras, and stepping on the flowers so I think I'd enjoy them by myself and let them do what they do. Pics would be really appreciated though.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweet bird to have in the back yard. I wouldn't tell anyone when they first showed up in Fargo they put cameras on the nest every year to watch the birds.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
falcon.jpg
I'm guessing this is momma, I don't have pics of dad, but he's a lot more bluish gray and white. I only see him a few times a year.

falcon2.jpg
I'm guessing this is one of this years youngsters. I do notice a lot less other birds in my yard. They're louder than hell, constant squealing, I'm surprised no one else on the block has noticed them.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to rub soothed falcons across my nipples.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Svnmag, msg me your weed dealers number.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have a for sure pic of an adult? If truly peregrines you have only the third pair to nest in ND in many years....there are so few they all have names. There is one pair that nest on the 6th floor of a bank in fargo and one pair that nest on a water tower in forks. They keep such a close eye on them that there were several stories in the Bismarck Tribune this spring about the fact that a new female showed up in Grand Forks with the regular male. This interloper was eventually run off when the former female arrived and drove the new one off sending her back to her birthplace which is in Winnipeg. They tend to prefer high cliffs to nest on so it maks me wonder if you dont just have a bird that looks similar. Do the adults have a black mask on their face?

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
The male has the darker mask markings on his face. The calls on youtube are identical, i could be wrong, but im pretty sure theyre peregrines, unlesz theres another very very similar looking and sounding falcon specie. Theyve been nesting on my block for almost a decade. I saw the male in the tree in my front yard the very first day I moved in. I remember it vividly because i had never seen one before, much less ten feet above my head in my front yard.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit i guess there are other very similar falcon species. looks like they could maybe be prairie falcons.

likely-Falcon-Prairie.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I guess i should start looking at birds with the same critical attention to detail as I do snakes n fish before i go and give a bunch of bird watchers false boners. Still not sure what specie though, ill try and get a pic of dad.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha The title was spooky but I took a big chance . That one is on the interweb under a few names , Start at 5:51.30 and watch on the floor by the chair

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm wishing it was a true peregrine because, as dean said, pretty dang rare in these parts. It doesn't look like a peregrine though. If you get a picture of pops, that might be easiest as males tend to have a better color identification.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those are Merlins or Pigeon Hawks smaller than a peregrine or prairie falcon tend to nest in old crow or magpie nests. They nest in a few towns in Nodak and lots of towns in Manitoba and Sask.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess i should start looking at birds with the same critical attention to detail as I do snakes n fish before i go and give a bunch of bird watchers false boners. Still not sure what specie though, ill try and get a pic of dad.

i'm totally soft now. :(

I have spent alot of time at Mayo in Rochester over the years with a family member who has had multiple health issues. There are a couple pairs of them there and they have a "Falcon cam" channels on their TV system watching the nests. When you are bored out of your mind it was fascinating to watch. One year they laid eggs but we left before they hatched.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know they go apeshit when i let my sumatran long tailed hairless dog run around the back yard, but the wifes poodle doesnt seem to bother em.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, we got a big lizard named Bob, swims in the pool and clears any mice or bunnies out from under the deck and in the gardens. You really know when he finds a bunny, 30 seconds of screaming, and 30 seconds after that a fatter lizard comes out from under the deck.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a perigrine, but still neat. I shot one of those with my pellet gun as a kid. Appears to be a female Cooper's.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 38