Podcast on CWD research in AR

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn also speaks at 5:01:25 and that’s probably worth listening to as well.

I respect Shawn. He doesn’t try and twist things, he’s straight forward. He agrees and is honest about the facts.

While he and I probably have a lot of philosophical differences when it comes to deer, I agree with a lot of his viewpoints when it comes to CWD regulations on the farmed fervid industry.
Yes, Shawn is good. At 5:06 he says he was disappointed to see Jenn Ballard, Arkansas Game and Fish State Wildlife Veterinarian on this panel for State Management of the "farmed cervid industry." Arkansas has done a great job of controlling CWD in farmed cervids. They passed enough regulations to put them out of business. At 3:58 Jenn Ballard talks about it.

BrockW

Established Member
Yes, Shawn is good. At 5:06 he says he was disappointed to see Jenn Ballard, Arkansas Game and Fish State Wildlife Veterinarian on this panel for State Management of the "farmed cervid industry." Arkansas has done a great job of controlling CWD in farmed cervids. They passed enough regulations to put them out of business. At 3:58 Jenn Ballard talks about it.
I can see his point and agree. Jenn deserved to speak, but they should’ve put her in a different slot. Would’ve been much more valuable to have the folks Shawn mentioned speak for the farmed cervid industry.

Last edited:

Average_NDA_Member

Not gonna watch a podcast and
So you couldn't even answer ALL my questions individually, since the questions i asked are specific questions to areas that sportsmans would like answers to that deal with the issues of real world problems that are dictated by people who are supposed to have the answer. That study was utter bullshit that didn't tell sportsman anything conclusive.
You are full of shit bub, you are what I call a weekend warrior yes man who reads of a teleprompter
Any person that can claims to be procwd and a champion for the sportsman I would laugh in their face. Not gonna waste my time
Hell yeah couldntve said it better myself it’s all bs if it ain’t what we wanna hear I’m good job pokin holes in that so called study can’t believe no actual scientists thought of that stuff but you did so nice work

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.backcountryhunters.org/north_dakota_bha_podcast_episode_8

IMG_8197.jpeg

IMG_8198.png

IMG_8199.jpeg

Ask yourself why every single scientific metric slide contains a photo of a dead deer. Do the photos add to the scientific evidence on these slides? If so, can someone explain how?

They appear to me to be purposefully placed there with the intention of evoking a fear-based reaction in order to manipulate the audience emotionally.

I have regularly attended national and international conferences for 30 years and have presented at many myself. The conferences focus on dealing with toxic and carcinogenic contamination of soil and water. We COULD sprinkle photos of tumors and caskets of people who suffered from ailments caused by these contaminants on every slide, but that would be considered embarrassingly manipulative and beneath the dignity of our field of practice.

BrockW

Established Member
Ask yourself why every single scientific metric slide contains a photo of a dead deer. Do the photos add to the scientific evidence on these slides? If so, can someone explain how?

They appear to me to be purposefully placed there with the intention of evoking a fear-based reaction in order to manipulate the audience emotionally.

I have regularly attended national and international conferences for 30 years and have presented at many myself. The conferences focus on dealing with toxic and carcinogenic contamination of soil and water. We COULD sprinkle photos of tumors and caskets of people who suffered from ailments caused by these contaminants on every slide, but that would be considered embarrassingly manipulative and beneath the dignity of our field of practice.
It might have something to do with certain individuals and groups saying things like “deer don’t die from this disease”, “it’s not fatal”, “deer die with the disease but not from the disease”, or “I’ve never seen a dead deer from CWD so it’s not real”.

BrockW

Established Member
An extremely healthy dose of skepticism about the reliability of science is an absolutely inevitable consequence of any scientific study of its track record.
Michael Scriven
I agree that it is good and reasonable to approach things with some healthy skepticism. But also…
1723235199136.jpeg

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see his point and agree. Jenn deserved to speak, but they should’ve put her in a different slot. Would’ve been much more valuable to have the folks Shawn mentioned speak for the farmed cervid industry.
https://www.nationalacademies.org/e...ng-disease-in-us-cervid-populations-meeting-3

The first presenter was Dr. Seabury visiting about DNA/genomes.
The next three presenters were women. Jenn Ballard DVM Arkansas Game and Fish, Krysten Schuler Cornell University and Michelle Minnesota DNR. Their presentation is how CWD is a social disease. And they want to enter everything into computers creating future models. Millions for.............
The fourth presenter at 4:20 is Hunter Reed, Texas Parks and Wildlife. If you're thinking that guy is gay, you'd be right.

It's a small nucleus of people running this show.

1723240328274.png

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Food for thought 🤔 did you know that deer need to eat dirt aka geophagia to help with digestion of food consumed, replenish minerals, and expel toxins to name a few? Guess where the prions are located at?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree that it is good and reasonable to approach things with some healthy skepticism. But also…
1723235199136.jpeg
Some may believe that you are a victim of the same. COVID produced an environment of distrust for the "scientific community" and this smacks of similar vibes.

"Trust the science" is a red flag for me.

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
science is politicalized like everything in today’s world.. I’m of the belief free thinkers at some point will be round up and “reeducated”…. and that coming from a man who’s has a daughter working on her phd in science.. parroting idea’s is what it’s about.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The issue I have with the procwd crowd is instead of advocating for accountability for the millions of dollars already spent and the thousands of deer culled. The fact is the study Brock shared with us, again doesn't tell us how prions are spread from one deer to another. Sharing the study proves that science has no intention to find that answer out because unfortunately prions can not be stopped from being spread in a population of deer.
So science tells us that banning bait piles is going to slow down the spread of prions but as sportsman with knowledge of deer species know that eventually the population will congregate into hundreds even with out man's interference. That's their nature, families of individual herds will come together in order.to protect the herds in numbers. Majority of herd species do this on every continent especially during harsh conditions like droughts or extreme weather.

So telling sportsman the so called facts and then insulting us with information that doesn't provide us with the smoking gun and that is how is the banning of bait piles going to stop the spread of cwd.
The procwd crowd is no different then the climate change/global warming or save the forest crowd because it's a way to get funding by individual donors or tax dollars then they can feel warm and fuzzy by telling the rest of us that they have all the answers. Ever notice the spokesperson involved in these matters are those of the elite who push agenda while they themselves do the opposite
Where I'm going here is being a sportsman who supports ideas like bait banning is no different then an environmental activist that flies around the world in a private jet to talk about climate change.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
So much distrust and the covid crap didn't help. If a scientist already has finding I'm inclined to believe much more of what they say than someone looking for funding. If an intelligent hunter says something I'm much more inclined to believe them than someone who makes a buck (no pun intended) off raising deer. Money drives both sides to corruption to often. Now the corruption we seen with covid makes many jump to conclusions about all science.
The only way a real discussion can occur after our recent experience with covid is to start with the basics everyone can agree with. If anyone has disagreement with these comments your part of the problem.

Average_NDA_Member

Hmmm nope Brockw go head n see yer way out if yer studys dont show us what we wanna see then theyr BS simple as that you should know there aint room for discussion round here and somehow that’s on you also we dont know what peer review means but I’m pretty sure it means reviewed by our peers on NDA n that means no study on anything ever will pass the sniff test so bye

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
^Fail. I’ve authored a number of peer reviewed journal articles. Nice try though. Your motivation for creating an account is getting more obvious all the time.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
^Fail. I’ve authored a number of peer reviewed journal articles. Nice try though. Your motivation for creating an account is getting more obvious all the time.
Yeah I agree and as far as genetically immune deer would work in an environment that is of the controlled kind. When lobbyists or people part of a special interest groups sites on a topic there is nothing that can change their minds. Producing genetically immune deer is possible and yes they can be kept that way by continually improving with research.
It's the same thing with cannibalism, people who have for generations through religion and rituals consume their family members as a way to honor them. It's been found that some of the members of the tribe have become immune to the prions that live in the brain. Since these people live on an island where outside influence is non existent for many generations. I have posted about the immune resistance on another thread that was discussed on cwd, that also talked about mad cow disease and that only way one can cow is infected when it eats in its food ground up dead which it costumes the brain matter.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm nope wasnt referrin to you but between yer whinin’ and education you just made the lib list
You really do inspire me to do better, your posts tell me i need to ask what would the average nda member do before I even think about posting on any thread. Be like average nda memeber just troll the forums looking to give my opinions that really puts people in their place. (y)
Would you possibly related to Stan's dad by any chance, he too was wise and witty in his replies when he to was trolling the forums.
main-qimg-baea008308afbe96e60c0c05e79ca217.gif

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 87
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 28