Podcast on CWD research in AR

BrockW

Established Member
Some may believe that you are a victim of the same. COVID produced an environment of distrust for the "scientific community" and this smacks of similar vibes.

"Trust the science" is a red flag for me.
I think your perspective is disappointing because logically it lacks creativity and imagination. Especially when one considers the oodles of research that shows the disease at work in terms of its contagious nature, the disease progression through an animal up to death, both in captivity and in the wild.

But by all means, I hear Dusty Backer is looking for supporters to perpetuate his conspiracy theories. Now he’s saying CWD is real again. He’s so back and forth on the issue I wonder how he keeps everyone on the same page. Must be a confusing group chat. His recent YouTube interview was almost crazier than the first….almost.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think your perspective is disappointing because logically it lacks creativity and imagination. Especially when one considers the oodles of research that shows the disease at work in terms of its contagious nature, the disease progression through an animal up to death, both in captivity and in the wild.

But by all means, I hear Dusty Backer is looking for supporters to perpetuate his conspiracy theories. Now he’s saying CWD is real again. He’s so back and forth on the issue I wonder how he keeps everyone on the same page. Must be a confusing group chat. His recent YouTube interview was almost crazier than the first….almost.
I don't need creativity and imagination in the statements I made. They're simply born from Covid-era science and the "oodles of research" that was thrown at us. Some members of the "scientific" and political communities were motivated by bad intentions, others were trying to do God's work. In the end, "trust science" isn't enough for me because not all science is trustworthy. I won't blindly believe because someone named Brock or Joe or with the title Dr. tells me "it's the science". We all know how Covid turned out - greed, control, and politics veiled much of the true science that was going on.

"Oodles of research" includes both bad and good research. Even with good research, poor correlations and conclusions can be drawn. From those poor correlations and conclusions, damaging containment and countermeasures can be put in place. My comment was "trust the science" is a red flag for me because it insinuates that all research is created equal. In order for me to decide where I stand I need the deeper details of the research, how it was conducted, data analysis methods, motivations of the researchers, etc.

Not sure where you pull "conspiracy theories" from my OP to lump me in as a Dusty supporter. It's that type of crap that makes me wonder about your legitimacy and intent. If I don't blindly support your view or science, I must be "one of them". Classy.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^It's called satire and irony:

Last edited:

BrockW

Established Member
I don't need creativity and imagination in the statements I made. They're simply born from Covid-era science and the "oodles of research" that was thrown at us. Some members of the "scientific" and political communities were motivated by bad intentions, others were trying to do God's work. In the end, "trust science" isn't enough for me because not all science is trustworthy. I won't blindly believe because someone named Brock or Joe or with the title Dr. tells me "it's the science". We all know how Covid turned out - greed, control, and politics veiled much of the true science that was going on.

"Oodles of research" includes both bad and good research. Even with good research, poor correlations and conclusions can be drawn. From those poor correlations and conclusions, damaging containment and countermeasures can be put in place. My comment was "trust the science" is a red flag for me because it insinuates that all research is created equal. In order for me to decide where I stand I need the deeper details of the research, how it was conducted, data analysis methods, motivations of the researchers, etc.

Not sure where you pull "conspiracy theories" from my OP to lump me in as a Dusty supporter. It's that type of crap that makes me wonder about your legitimacy and intent. If I don't blindly support your view or science, I must be "one of them". Classy.
If you’re not a Dusty supporter, my apologies, but that comment was made sort of tongue in cheek. I can certainly see how one might find that insulting.

But your statement blindly insinuates that everything that happened around Covid means CWD is no different. There was virtually zero research done in the early stages of COVID. That is vastly different. Good CWD research began 20-30 years ago. There’s en entire field of prion research, not just CWD research.

We went from barely knowing what covid was to shutting the country down in a matter of months. Good research isn’t conducted at that speed. It is a ridiculous statement to compare the two. That’s not logical skepticism, it’s laziness and like I said, a stance that shows a lack of creativity.

At this point the wildlife researchers have put GPS collars on thousands of deer in multiple states. They are literally able to catch deer, test them, recapture them, test them again, then get a mortality signal, do a necropsy and test them again.

Multiple studies conducted by different people, years apart, where they can infect deer with saliva, intranasally, through environment transmission. Multiple instances of documented vertical transmission, doe to fawn. They can find infectious prions on mineral licks, in feed, on feeders, in soil. They can create synthetic prions and infect animals with them and create the same disease.

I don’t think I’ve said “trust the science” one time on this forum. I’ve simply provided scientific evidence and referenced actual scientific work. Work that has been repeated and shown in multiple research efforts from multiple research groups.

For one to look at the collection of work done around this disease and conclude that there isn’t enough “details”, seems a lot more like an unwillingness to believe what’s right in front of ones face. And when the common denominator is that the overwhelming majority of people taking that stance are mad about baiting restrictions, it isn’t hard to conclude that healthy skepticism or the “details” of studies is not the problem.

If this disease popped up 3 months ago, your comparison would be much more valid, and I would probably agree with you. But that is obviously quite far from reality.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly what's been accomplished by all the scientists, biologists and DNR's research of CWD besides spending millions of tax dollars? Have deer populations plummeted or been saved by any of this research? Arguments could be made either way I suppose but IMO it's just a waste of money. Nature will handle it like she always does with or without human intervention.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Spot on catdaddy research needs to be done in way that the avg sportsman can understand, I believe the question I asked Brock thirugbt NY teplies to him make that very clear. We want to know how a study was done

BrockW

Established Member
Spot on catdaddy research needs to be done in way that the avg sportsman can understand, I believe the question I asked Brock thirugbt NY teplies to him make that very clear. We want to know how a study was done
It’s almost like someone should’ve posted a podcast on a CWD study….

BrockW

Established Member
Honestly what's been accomplished by all the scientists, biologists and DNR's research of CWD besides spending millions of tax dollars? Have deer populations plummeted or been saved by any of this research? Arguments could be made either way I suppose but IMO it's just a waste of money. Nature will handle it like she always does with or without human intervention.
In some places yes, they have. That research has literally shown us the impacts on a population level. In other places, like Wisconsin, the disease has not yet outpaced reproduction. Again, research has shown this. But in every single research effort ever done, GPS collar data shows additive mortality. Every. Single. One.

There are folks working on vaccines, therapeutics, genetics, modeling, inoculation/transmission, landscape remediation, and honestly the funds spent on cwd are a drop in the bucket compared to human health. Cancer research alone is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. I question whether or not CWD research has hit a billion dollars since 1967.

But I think it’s safe to say, at this point, cwd probably poses a minor risk to humans. Even if it crosses over, I doubt it will become some wide spread disease in humans. Maybe I’m wrong, but given what we know about prion diseases in humans, it seems unlikely. The possibility it would also be contagious is a bit creepy…

One of my biggest concerns, outside of its actual documented impact to deer herds, is that this jumps over into cattle. New strains are coming along and if one of those manages to jump to cattle, I fear that will have grave consequences to wild deer, livestock operations, the economy, and public perception. What do we think is going to happen if cattle start getting this from deer?

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely agree but I would wager the numbers wasted is in the 100s 9f millions since cwd has been unleashed on areas that where never known to have. Wisconsin come to mind

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Multiple instances of documented vertical transmission, doe to fawn. They can find infectious prions on mineral licks, in feed, on feeders, in soil. They can create synthetic prions and infect animals with them and create the same disease.

One of my biggest concerns, outside of its actual documented impact to deer herds, is that this jumps over into cattle. New strains are coming along and if one of those manages to jump to cattle,
I fear that will have grave consequences to wild deer, livestock operations, the economy, and public perception. What do we think is going to happen if cattle start getting this from deer?
Wuhan 2

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 99
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 26